Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any fans of Electronic/"IDM"? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am talking about bands like Orbital, Boards of Canada, Plaid, Autechre etc. I've not found anyone who is into this sort of stuff apart from my sister and her boyfriend. :confused:

I really hate the label "Intelligent Dance Music" by the way, it just sounds priggish. Genre labelling is just awkward.

ReputationRep:
    I do like this sort of thing a lot and I also agree with your comments about the term 'intelligent dance music', which sounds like a very snobbish affront to 'other' parts of dance music.

Warp Records' 'Artificial Intelligence' series is one of my favourite parts of this genre (maybe we should not use a name to avoid the dodgy connotations of IDM) for the complicated and cerebral nature of the tracks on it but also because it is far more danceable than a lot of the more self-consciously experimental stuff that followed. That range also deserves a lot of credit for including 'Diemension Intrusion' by F.U.S.E. which is much more like ambient techno/minimal techno than anything but is an amazing album which is perfect for virtually any situation. The broad palate of sounds used on that album is truly amazing and I would recommend it to anyone who loves electronic music.

ReputationRep:
    Will be checking that out now, cheers for the recommendation. Also:

AFX/Aphex Twin/Richard D James... (Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is immense)
    Bonobo (bit more chilled out)
    Hybrid
    Kettel (really good stuff)
    Vitalic (getting a bit more dance)

Can't think of any more for now.

ReputationRep:
    I am.

ReputationRep:
    Used to listen to quite a bit of it when I was getting into dance music, it's a vague genre descriptor and most of the better stuff was made in the 90s, ie Future Sound of London, LFO etc, these days the more 'intelligent' side of dance music would probably be minimal techno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    Used to listen to quite a bit of it when I was getting into dance music, it's a vague genre descriptor and most of the better stuff was made in the 90s, ie Future Sound of London, LFO etc, these days the more 'intelligent' side of dance music would probably be minimal techno.
    Yeah, Future Sound of London are good.. I am a bit stuck in the 90s with this sort of stuff. Got any good minimal techno to recommend?

Also:

Underworld (Dubnobasswithmyheadman, absolute classic)

The Orb (Toxygene, Majestic, The Dream, Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld...)

Sasha (especially Airdrawndagger, Xpander EP).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    Yeah, Future Sound of London are good, Underworld too. I am a bit stuck in the 90s with this sort of stuff. Got any good minimal techno to recommend?
    I've not listened to a huge amount of minimal, I find I can only listen to it for so long and it takes a certain mood, but some of the better known producers/djs off the top of my head are

Richie Hawtin
    Magda
    Ricardo Villalobos
    Loco Dice
    Sven Vath
    Matthew Dear

ReputationRep:

Underworld (Dubnobasswithmyheadman, absolute classic)

The Orb (Toxygene, Majestic, The Dream, Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld...)

Sasha (especially Airdrawndagger, Xpander EP).
    Global Underground 13 - Ibiza mixed by Sasha is my favourite mix of all time, late 90s progressive house/trance is where it is (or was) at.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, I find this sort of music to be really good for working. When music is devoid of lyrics I think it's a lot easier to concentrate with it on in the background, it can make me enter a sort of trance of working intensely or just thinking in general. Headphones really work well when there's stereo effects going on too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    I've not listened to a huge amount of minimal, I find I can only listen to it for so long and it takes a certain mood, but some of the better known producers/djs off the top of my head are

Richie Hawtin
    Magda
    Ricardo Villalobos
    Loco Dice
    Sven Vath
    Matthew Dear
    I would recommend all of these artists but in my opinion Matthew Dear's better stuff was produced under the name Audion and I'm no fan of the album he did this year - 'Black City'. He seems to release his harder techno under the name Audion.

Richie Hawtin is a particular favourite of mine but I should also note that a lot of his best stuff was released as Plastikman and he also used to be known as F.U.S.E. whose album I recommended above.

The various names techno producers use can be very confusing sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I am talking about bands like Orbital, Boards of Canada, Plaid, Autechre etc. I've not found anyone who is into this sort of stuff apart from my sister and her boyfriend. :confused:

I really hate the label "Intelligent Dance Music" by the way, it just sounds priggish. Genre labelling is just awkward.

I'm a massive EDM fan... particularly BOC. Music has the right to children, I absolutley love. So much other stuff, particularly Aphex's early ambient releases (selected works). Big Burial fan as well, flying lotus, The orb etc.

I hate the term IDM, almost as bad as "electronica." It's just another one of those buzz words used by the press. Here's what Richard D. James (aphex twin) has to say about it IDM...

"I just think it's really funny to have terms like that. It's basically saying, 'this is intelligent and everything else is stupid.' It's really nasty to everyone else's music. (laughs) It makes me laugh, things like that. I don't use names. I just say that I like something or I don't."

ReputationRep:
    ho ho ho I'm an IDMer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spazman21)
    I'm a massive EDM fan... particularly BOC. Music has the right to children, I absolutley love. So much other stuff, particularly Aphex's early ambient releases (selected works). Big Burial fan as well, flying lotus, The orb etc.

I hate the term IDM, almost as bad as "electronica." It's just another one of those buzz words used by the press. Here's what Richard D. James (aphex twin) has to say about it IDM...

"I just think it's really funny to have terms like that. It's basically saying, 'this is intelligent and everything else is stupid.' It's really nasty to everyone else's music. (laughs) It makes me laugh, things like that. I don't use names. I just say that I like something or I don't."
    An Eagle In Your Mind, Roygbiv, Aquarius.. absolutely brilliant. I've recently started listening to Flying Lotus and Burial as well, Burial is really dark and emotional while being so minimalist.

Have you heard BOC's "In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country" EP?

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend Fennesz to any BOC fan. Maybe start with the album Endless Summer. It's similar although much more layered with intense feedback. IT'S SO GODDAMN TEXTURED IT MAKES ME CRY

ReputationRep:
    An Eagle In Your Mind, Roygbiv, Aquarius.. absolutely brilliant. I've recently started listening to Flying Lotus and Burial as well, Burial is really dark and emotional while being so minimalist.

Have you heard BOC's "In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country" EP?
    Yea, that's a really sweet EP.

After music has the right children, I'd recommend getting the album geogaddi... but nothing will ever top that seminal album. Also, get the Peel Sessions - very, very good stuff.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Yea, that's a really sweet EP.

After music has the right children, I'd recommend getting the album geogaddi... but nothing will ever top that seminal album. Also, get the Peel Sessions - very, very good stuff.

Enjoy!
    Yeah I've got Geogaddi, will have a listen of the Peel Sessions too. You know that feeling when you've got a big queue of music to listen to?

I'd also recommend James Holden's compilation "At the Controls" and Hybrid's "Soundsystem 01", both really good for discovering new artists.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've got Geogaddi, will have a listen of the Peel Sessions too. You know that feeling when you've got a big queue of music to listen to?

I'd also recommend James Holden's compilation "At the Controls" and Hybrid's "Soundsystem 01", both really good for discovering new artists.
    Awesome! I love Holden; although, I don't have any of his compilation stuff... I'll check it out.

You should take a look at Holden's one and only album: The Idiots Are Winning

ReputationRep:
    I hate the term IDM, almost as bad as "electronica."
    I get your beef with IDM but why electronica?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    I get your beef with IDM but why electronica?
    Electronica literally means nothing... there's is no characteristic "electronica" genre. It basically means every form of EDM under the sun: techno, D 'n' B, trance etc.

It was basically coined by the North American music press to refer to the second wave of electronic music expansion in the late 90's - in a essence a marketing buzzword.

It's kind of when people who don't know about electronic music refer to every genre as "techno." That pisses me off....

I remember when I played some Prefuse 73 to a friend and some douche came over and said "I'm loving that techno."

ReputationRep:
    Electronica isn't an umbrella term for any form of EDM, man, it's electronic music which isn't made specifically for dancing to, i.e. IDM, ambient, downtempo etc. as well as artists that don't really have a genre outside of the 'electronica' remit like Manitoba/Caribou. What else would you suggest for artists like Aphex Twin and Autechre? Post-techno? Electronic listening music?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.