Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a little trouble with question c on this, if anyone might be able to help, please? I've tried to predict how the valence neutron would move up the energy levels as it is excited, and get answers of 7/2 (negative parity) and 3/2 (also negative parity) but I have no idea how the lecturer got 1/2 (positive). I'm thinking it could be a mistake?

How would the neutron move?
    Arrrgh help please!
    This is from Durham Uni if anyone out there has done similar in previous years homework

Thanks
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfqnp2-1.pdf (23.3 KB, 80 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomer)
    I'm having a little trouble with question c on this, if anyone might be able to help, please? I've tried to predict how the valence neutron would move up the energy levels as it is excited, and get answers of 7/2 (negative parity) and 3/2 (also negative parity) but I have no idea how the lecturer got 1/2 (positive). I'm thinking it could be a mistake?

How would the neutron move?
    Arrrgh help please!
    This is from Durham Uni if anyone out there has done similar in previous years homework

Thanks
    According to my diagram of the shell model energy levels, the next three are 1f7/2, 1f5/2, 2p3/2, so I don't get part c either. I would predict spin,parity 7/2-, 5/2-, 3/2- for these states.

It doesn't really fit with rotational excitation either

I'd be interested to know the explanation. Sorry I can't be more help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.