Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you really force yourself to start being optimistic? Watch

I always have been a negative person and I want to change it. I think it might be because I'm depressed all the time but anyway - people say that if you think positive then good things will actually happen and that you will be happy. I WANT THAT.

If it really is my pessimism that's making me feel low constantly then it really needs to change.

So yeah, is it possible to start being optimistic just by forcing yourself? Has anyone else witnessed themselves do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I always have been a negative person and I want to change it. I think it might be because I'm depressed all the time but anyway - people say that if you think positive then good things will actually happen and that you will be happy. I WANT THAT.

If it really is my pessimism that's making me feel low constantly then it really needs to change.

So yeah, is it possible to start being optimistic just by forcing yourself? Has anyone else witnessed themselves do it?
    I think it's possible. I was pretty unhappy and pessimistic at one point (lack of self confidence and self esteem really got to me). But I got fed up of thinking like that and tried to change it. Sounds cheesy, but I think I accepted who I was a lot more, had a confidence boost and felt more relaxed around other people. Took a while though. But it seems to have worked for me, you just need to think more positively about yourself. Making friends and meeting people can also force you out of your comfort zone, which - at least for me it did - can encourage you to be more positive. You need to think positively about yourself and life in general. Self motivation and determination is key.

Hope some of that helped! Feel free to talk or PM me about it.

ReputationRep:
    i can't help but have the belief that if you're negative, you're just a realistic person who sees the world as it is. and when you feel that way and respect truth, it's hard to just force yourself to be optimistic because you feel like you're cheating truth.

could always try it, lemme know how that goes

ReputationRep:
    You can start encouraging yourself to look on the brighter side of things.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's possible. There are different ways of thinking. If something negative happens to you, a pessimist or depressed person may blame themselves. An alternative way of thinking is to pass the blame on to it being simply bad luck, and to think how lucky you were that it wasn't worse. Simple thoughts like that throughout the day can build you in to a more optimistic person, I believe.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You could get CBT:

Service user: "everyone hates me"
    Psychologist: "have you met everyone in the world?"
    Service user: "no....ok everyone I have met hates me"
    Psychologist: "that's better, people you haven't met don't hate you, remember that"

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of in the same situation at the moment. Being a naturally negative person, finding out I have a potentially life-threatening illness has really made me think.

You can certainly try and think more positively. I've tried to do this and it does work in some instances, but then I get into this.. like.. trance where I look at what I'm trying to see in a good light and I think 'what are you doing '.

It's hard to tell if you can make yourself more optimistic. I think you can in some instances, but there'll always be instances where you're just gonna revert back to your cynical nature :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.