Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Social Network's chances at the OSCARS Watch

ReputationRep:

I personally thought it was brilliant, and has rolled like a juggernaut through the first rounds of critics' awards.

It will face stiff competition from "Inception" and "The King's Speech" in many categories, but I think Aaron Sorkin is guaranteed the gong for Adapted Screenplay.

I would love to see Eisenberg win Best Actor - he would certainly stop being referred to as "the one who looks like Michael Cera" then - but it's not an award I would ever associate with an actor of his kind, certainly not yet in his career. Firth will probably get it for the King's Speech.

I think the most interesting battles will be between The Social Network and Inception for Best Picture and David Fincher and Christopher Nolan for Best Director.

Any other opinions on this subject? Would be quite interesting to hear from someone who think the Social Network is rubbish, seeing as I haven't read a negative review of it yet.

ReputationRep:
    Surely they will just create a new category for it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't expect it to do very well at the Oscars in all honesty. But given that pretty much every critic's circle in America has awarded it their film of the year, I think the consensus is that it's going to definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

I think it has Best Screenplay pretty much wrapped up, and seems now to be favourite for film and director. It doesn't stand much chance in the acting categories though, best actor is probably going to be between James Franco and Colin Firth.

A point to bear in mind though is that a lot of film circles aren't including True Grit because of it's late release. And that is a) going to have huge amounts of hype and b) has people behind it who know how to turn that hype into votes.

ReputationRep:
    It'll probably win Best Screenplay. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I think it will.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Best Picture is quite wide open. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    I think the Best Picture is quite wide open. :beard:
    King's Speech, Social Network, 127 Hours, possibly True Grit. None of them would be a bad choice. I dare say it will narrow off into just a couple of favourites within a month or so though.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen it yet more out of protest and disgust at the fact that Mark Zuckerberg at only the age of 26 could have a movie made about him yet Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King who undoubtedly made a far greater contribution to society and world history have yet to have a biopic made about them. Invictus isn't really about Mandela's life more about the events immediately after his release and then South Africa winning the Rugby World Cup.

Then again that is not to say Facebook hasn't made a contribution to popular culture. And as far as I am aware in other articles, Zuckerberg himself wasn't keen on the movie being made.

It would be unfair of me to slate the film because of my personal feelings about the situation so I will endeavour to watch it ouver the Xmas break and come back here and post. However it hasn't struck me as being a fantastic movie in the vein of classics from years gone by e.g. Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List etc.

Perhaps that's just indicitive of how bad a year 2010 has been for movies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    King's Speech, Social Network, 127 Hours, possibly True Grit. None of them would be a bad choice. I dare say it will narrow off into just a couple of favourites within a month or so though.
    I'd add Inception and Black Swan to that list. :yes:

Saying that, I've only watched one out of those six films.

ReputationRep:
    I'd add Inception and Black Swan to that list. :yes:
    I don't think Inception really has the stamina or the highbrow appeal required to win the main Oscar this year. I reckon it's going to be a bit of a disappointment really, it's only probably got a shout for original screenplay and best supporting actress. Black Swan has more potential.

The Kids are All Right probably has an outside chance if they market it well.

(Original post by Warrior King)
    I haven't seen it yet more out of protest and disgust at the fact that Mark Zuckerberg at only the age of 26 could have a movie made about him yet Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King who undoubtedly made a far greater contribution to society and world history have yet to have a biopic made about them. Invictus isn't really about Mandela's life more about the events immediately after his release and then South Africa winning the Rugby World Cup.

Then again that is not to say Facebook hasn't made a contribution to popular culture. And as far as I am aware in other articles, Zuckerberg himself wasn't keen on the movie being made.

It would be unfair of me to slate the film because of my personal feelings about the situation so I will endeavour to watch it ouver the Xmas break and come back here and post. However it hasn't struck me as being a fantastic movie in the vein of classics from years gone by e.g. Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List etc.

Perhaps that's just indicitive of how bad a year 2010 has been for movies.
    Biopics aren't made based on worth, nor should they be. Having an attitude of "this isn't fair because they haven't honoured that guy" is pretty absurd.

As for your last line, that's a load of crap. Every year people say it's been bad for films, and it's never the case. This year in particular has been really, really good.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Inception really has the stamina or the highbrow appeal required to win the main Oscar this year. I reckon it's going to be a bit of a disappointment really, it's only probably got a shout for original screenplay and best supporting actress. Black Swan has more potential.

The Kids are All Right probably has an outside chance if they market it well.

Biopics aren't made based on worth, nor should they be. Having an attitude of "this isn't fair because they haven't honoured that guy" is pretty absurd.

As for your last line, that's a load of crap. Every year people say it's been bad for films, and it's never the case. This year in particular has been really, really good.
    Erm mostly bipoics are made about well-known figures the logic being it will pull in the movie-goers. Hardly an absurd notion. I can't think of a better way to honour such a great a figure by making a movie about their life so their legacy will continue to live on and inspire future generations.

And why is my last line a load of crap? You can't honestly say there has been such a fantastic movie this year that will be remember and hailed as one of the all-time greats?

You're talking crap if you honestly believe that.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't watch it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook
    This seemed to suffice. Cheaper, too.

ReputationRep:
    Erm mostly bipoics are made about well-known figures the logic being it will pull in the movie-goers. Hardly an absurd notion. I can't think of a better way to honour such a great a figure by making a movie about their life so their legacy will continue to live on and inspire future generations.

And why is my last line a load of crap? You can't honestly say there has been such a fantastic movie this year that will be remember and hailed as one of the all-time greats?

People won't remember Avatar? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    People won't remember Avatar? :holmes:
    That was 2009.

ReputationRep:
    That was 2009.
    :doh: I wouldn't call it a bad year for films. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    I strongly doubt The Social Network would win best film.

It was a decent watch, but nothing extraordinary

ReputationRep:
    There is no way he will win best actor. It wasn't exactly a challenging role.

ReputationRep:
    It's an absurd notion because directors shouldn't pick their biopic based on how important they are. They should pick them based on how interested they are in the character and how well they feel they can communicate their life.

One of the best biopics ever made is about a self-destructive boxer. It works so well because of what Scorsese could bring to the film from his own life. Had he made it about George Washington it would not have been a good film.

Your last line is a load of crap because there has been excellent films in pretty much every genre this year. I could easily name ten or fifteen films I have loved which came out this year. This means it's been good.

As for a film hailed as a future classic, that's incredibly hard to judge. Classics are often not appreciated theatrically and only gain fame once they reach a second life on home media. But yes, I believe that Shutter Island was overlooked this year and it will take 5-10 years for people to appreciate it's depth and hail it as a truly great film.

ReputationRep:
    :doh: I wouldn't call it a bad year for films. :nah:
    I was talking about 2010, not 2009.

Avatar already went through the Oscars in 2010, it's gone, end of, finito.

2010 IMO hasn't been anything to really shout from the hilltops about but as I haven't yet seen The Social Network, I can't say that with any sincere conviction.

However all I can say is that probably wouldn't give the true Oscar winning classics like the Godfather, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Forrest Gump a run for their money and if it did win a Best Picture award it would be an insult to those great movies mentioned.

Avatar was 2009 and yes that was a fantastic and exceptional film and I don't think whoever saw that movie will forget it in a hurry.

ReputationRep:
    It's an absurd notion because directors shouldn't pick their biopic based on how important they are. They should pick them based on how interested they are in the character and how well they feel they can communicate their life.

One of the best biopics ever made is about a self-destructive boxer. It works so well because of what Scorsese could bring to the film from his own life. Had he made it about George Washington it would not have been a good film.

Your last line is a load of crap because there has been excellent films in pretty much every genre this year. I could easily name ten or fifteen films I have loved which came out this year. This means it's been good.

As for a film hailed as a future classic, that's incredibly hard to judge. Classics are often not appreciated theatrically and only gain fame once they reach a second life on home media. But yes, I believe that Shutter Island was overlooked this year and it will take 5-10 years for people to appreciate it's depth and hail it as a truly great film.
    I agree to an extent what you're saying about biopics and ofcourse Raging Bull was a fantastic film about a not so well-know boxer. That's not say a director wouldn't go for a biopic of a well-known figure.

I mean Gandhi was released in 1982 and was bound to do very well theatrically because of the fact it depicted one of the greatest icons in modern history and to add it was actually a very good film and did very well at the Oscars.

Ali was released back in 2002 and was critically well received but didn't garner many nominations (although it did in key areas such as Best Director, Best Film, Best Actor).

As for your opinion on good films that's just it, it's your opinion. I see your point about movies gaining a second life some time into the future. The Shining believe it or not was a complete flop when it was first released but is now considered one of the most iconic horror/supernatural thrillers.

It's a matter of personal opinion but in my opinion there hasn't been a movie this year which I think ten years from now I'd probably remember vividly having first watched in the cinema.

For me the best film I ever watched in the cinema was Gladiator and I still very much remember when I first saw it, hard to believe that was 10 years ago. That's what makes a memorable movie.

Besides because a movie wins an Oscar doesn't mean it's necessarily worth its weight in gold. Most would agree that it was a travesty that the Dark Knight was completely overlooked at the 2009 Oscars and let's be honest, was Slumdog Millionaire more iconic than the Dark Knight? The Dark Knight will be remembered if anything for Heath Ledger's amazing portrayal of the Joker and the fact that it probably is the best super-hero movie of all time.

The Oscars aren't the be all and end all. Pulp Fiction didn't win any but would you call Pul Fiction a bad movie?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.