Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The importance of extra-academic activities in CV Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how important it is to include extra-academic activities when preparing your Curriculum Vitae (at postgraduate level, specially when applying to a Masters in Science and PhD) for UK universities. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maromad89)
    I was wondering how important it is to include extra-academic activities when preparing your Curriculum Vitae (at postgraduate level, specially when applying to a Masters in Science and PhD) for UK universities. What do you think?
    You should always have a bit in your CV on your interests (usually at the end, just before "references on request").

Just keep it short and sweet - small paragraph or couple of bullet points.

Whatever you use your CV for - applying for a job or a course, people want interesting well-rounded people not just people who love to study!

Good luck

Beth

ReputationRep:
    Yes, maybe the key is to keep it short and clear, but not to overload the CV with unnecesary information. I´ve to admit Í´ve always thought of this "extra-curricular" addition as a somehow unprofessional thing, so I tend to be a little worried about including this or not. But well, I think I´ll take your advice...

Thank you very much!

(Original post by bethan2)
    You should always have a bit in your CV on your interests (usually at the end, just before "references on request").

Just keep it short and sweet - small paragraph or couple of bullet points.

Whatever you use your CV for - applying for a job or a course, people want interesting well-rounded people not just people who love to study!

Good luck

Beth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maromad89)
    Yes, maybe the key is to keep it short and clear, but not to overload the CV with unnecesary information. I´ve to admit Í´ve always thought of this "extra-curricular" addition as a somehow unprofessional thing, so I tend to be a little worried about including this or not.
    Pick interesting hobbies and link them to relevant skills. For example, if you're going for some leadership position somewhere they might want somebody confident, so you'd do well to mention you act in your local amateur dramatics group. Or maybe if you're applying for a job in R&D they might look favourably on somebody who designs those little wooden puzzles for a hobby. It shouldn't be hard to get from the things you enjoy to job-relevant skills.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.