The Student Room Group

if you are pakistani/north indian which caste are u and do you think its important

Scroll to see replies

I know my username is quite ironic (immaturely chosen) but it makes no difference whatsoever i doubt you could tell any caste apart
Reply 61
Original post by an44588
I am a pashtun, which is a ethnicity rather then a caste. This caste thing sounds backwards. The people who are still trying to make it valid in the UK do tend to be people of higher caste and do try to make themselves feel superior to anyone else and make everyone else feel inferior. What so good about pushing yourself out of your moms vagina into a family of a caste? Merit comes from talent and achievement not caste.

aren't the pashtuns a fairly large ethnic group? They do have various different tribal groupings (although may not be as relevant to pashtun diasporas)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by DonFahad
Sheikh, Chaudhry, Awaan, all aren't options. These are mostly Sikh castes....

so.... still part of the whole indian caste type culture, is it not?
Reply 63
Original post by bunty64
so.... still part of the whole indian caste type culture, is it not?

I was just commenting. Castes are outdated, true, but in Punjab, both sides, but more so the Sikh side, they are still important in society. Stupid to only put Sikh castes and then ask which Pakistanis are those Sikh castes.
Reply 64
Original post by DonFahad
I was just commenting. Castes are outdated, true, but in Punjab, both sides, but more so the Sikh side, they are still important in society. Stupid to only put Sikh castes and then ask which Pakistanis are those Sikh castes.

is chaudry/shiekh part of the sikh caste?
Does anyone have more information in regards to Chaudary Arain?

I come under this caste. I am intrigued to know to be honest.
Reply 66
Original post by bunty64
is chaudry/shiekh part of the sikh caste?

Chaudhry and Sheikh are Muslim castes, spread over Pakistan, but mostly in Punjab. Chaudhry's are everywhere though...
Reply 67
I'm the first Indian Rajput to be here and vote, my second ex and I wasn't allowed to date because she wasn't Rajput.
Reply 68
Original post by The_Male_Melons
Does anyone have more information in regards to Chaudary Arain?

I come under this caste. I am intrigued to know to be honest.

Hi, im arain. Basically our ancestors were land owners, we came with Muhammad Bin Qasim ( arab leader) from arabia to the punjab region of india at that time as soldiers.....

Thats all i know.
Reply 69
I can say i'm Indian don't know which one. Caste matters as we can only marry people from our caste. That's probably only in my case. And i'm not from India or Pakistan so none from the poll.
Reply 70
All those people who say that castes are stupid,bull****, yeh its stupid and bull**** if you make it into a segregation issue, but its still good to know your family history,background and roots, i am proud of my history, but i dont think im superior than others, yeah some ppl do but thats their messed up ignorance.

Allah describes in the quran that he made us into different tribes so we can come to meet each other, thus its not a bad thing knowing where you come from aslong as you dont make it into a issue of a ranking system, infact its a good thing as it shows diversity and shows how islam has put different people from different tribes,nations groups under one banner.

Qur'an 49:13
O mankind!
We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female
And made you into nations and tribes
That ye may know each other (not that ye may despise each other).

Verily the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you.
And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).
Original post by soldier-4-life
hi just noticed theres a large asian community and i realised that there are no stastics on castes in britain sorry i missed out on an important option neither of the above

Like seriously, the only people who actually care about caste systems nowadays are those living in remote villages who do it for distinction and pride. End of. /thread.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 72
We're all brown aren't we? Don't matter to me.
Original post by Z_Ahmed
Hi, im arain. Basically our ancestors were land owners, we came with Muhammad Bin Qasim ( arab leader) from arabia to the punjab region of india at that time as soldiers.....

Thats all i know.

Can you be chaudary arian? Or is separate? I am confused. I am just intrigued to know.
I might have arab blood in me...
Reply 74
Original post by crazycake93
Isn't that racism?

race =/= Caste! Caste is like a Clan you belong to! :wink: so it can't be racism IMO!

Edit = F****** Read the thing I said "IMO = In MY OPINION" Bloody Trolls. :troll:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by The_Male_Melons
Can you be chaudary arian? Or is separate? I am confused. I am just intrigued to know.
I might have arab blood in me...

arain is the name of the caste, chaudary translates to "land owner", so its the title given to arains

But you get other people from other castes use chaudary aswell but it only generally applies to arains.

You probably are decendents from arabs because it is said that arain have been muslim throughout india they are one of the castes which arent converts from hindus/sikhs, other castes which do not fall in the category from converts and from arabia are sheikh and quraysh and sayyids.
Original post by Z_Ahmed
arain is the name of the caste, chaudary translates to "land owner", so its the title given to arains

But you get other people from other castes use chaudary aswell but it only generally applies to arains.

You probably are decendents from arabs because it is said that arain have been muslim throughout india they are one of the castes which arent converts from hindus/sikhs, other castes which do not fall in the category from converts and from arabia are sheikh and quraysh and sayyids.

Alright. Got you. Interesting.
I'm Bengali.. if that counts. My family name is 'Khan'. Ew.
Reply 78
LOL I kinda knew that caste were the way Indians ranked each other but never knew it were more a tribal area class. Its quite amusing reading your squabbles.

Why don't you marry between caste??
(edited 13 years ago)
Why is this important? I want to know the history behind this caste system?

Quick Reply

Latest