Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it worth going on the pill to get rid of bad acne? Watch

Hi guys,
    I've tried EVERYTHING with my acne - and it's mainly on my cheeks. I have days when my skin will be completely clear, and then when I'm about to go on my period, my face just explodes and gets really oily and i have such bad cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin... I'm pretty sure it's because of my hormones, because the breakouts come at about the same time every month. A couple of people have told me that going on the pill may help (Dianette?).
    Has anyone here tried it and had any success?

Also, my parents aren't very keen on the pill (they have this weird theory about it messing up your hormones when you're older....) I'm going to uni next year so it will be easier to go on it then without them finding out, but will it be worth it? And will I beable to go on it without seeing my doctor (As I'm sure my parents will find out if i get a prescription?)
    Thank you!!!

Keep Anon or delete please.

ReputationRep:
    Going on the pill was a horrendous experience for me, but I do seem to be the minority in this!

You might as well try it.

ReputationRep:
    Go to your doctors, they'll prescribe you tablets/cream that work wonders for acne.

ReputationRep:
    Errrrr depends. If it gets rid of your acne then great, but a side effect of the pill is often that you hate everything for no reason whatsoever. Whether that's worth having no acne is your call.

ReputationRep:
    Try going on roaccutane? I went on it for three months and now two months later I haven't had a single spot You'll need to have tried a few courses of antibiotics and things before though.

ReputationRep:
    go to your doctor and ask them for something for the acne first

(Original post by CapnHooch)
    Go to your doctors, they'll prescribe you tablets/cream that work wonders for acne.
    I've tried it, but it hasn't worked...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,
    I've tried EVERYTHING with my acne - and it's mainly on my cheeks. I have days when my skin will be completely clear, and then when I'm about to go on my period, my face just explodes and gets really oily and i have such bad cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin... I'm pretty sure it's because of my hormones, because the breakouts come at about the same time every month. A couple of people have told me that going on the pill may help (Dianette?).
    Has anyone here tried it and had any success?

Also, my parents aren't very keen on the pill (they have this weird theory about it messing up your hormones when you're older....) I'm going to uni next year so it will be easier to go on it then without them finding out, but will it be worth it? And will I beable to go on it without seeing my doctor (As I'm sure my parents will find out if i get a prescription?)
    Thank you!!!

Keep Anon or delete please.
    I know exactly how you feel. I use Dianette and have found it, in time, helpful controlling my acne (also love the regular periods). If you are having problems with your skin, you should make them known to your doctor, get them to refer you to a dermatologist at a hospital.

I'm afraid you do need a prescription as they need to make sure you are on the right pill for you. For example, the mini pill or the combination pill - you can only go on the latter as long as you don't smoke, or have DVT etc. Blood pressure has to be checked as well. However, you don't have to go to your normal or family doctor, you could ask for anyone at your surgery or even a nurse. The pill is completely safe and does not mess with your hormones in the way your parents are thinking. Do what you feel is right for you.

Ps. There's no way your parents will know unless you either: tell them, leave the prescription around or your pills around.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, what the above posters are saying. Cos although you say you've "tried everything"...I get the impression you ahven't actually been to the Doctor about it yet. The pill is usually one of the LAST things they will reccommend you for acne. First they'll be Panoxyl 2.5 cream (dries your face out), then Duac (dries face out + antibiotics), then antibiotics such as tetracycline then maybe the pill, then roaccutane. So yeah, i doubt they're gonna tell you to go on the pill first.

ReputationRep:
    Well it sounds like the pill would be worth a try. If your acne is really affecting you and other treatments haven't worked, then surely your parents may come round to the idea? Also if you try roaccutane as someone above suggested, be warned that you will have to take the pill alongside it - no exceptions.

Oh and for what it's worth, I have never had any side effects from the pill but did get a few when I was on roaccutane. I would say it was worth it but my acne came back shortly after finishing treatment. If you just want it gone (which I can totally understand) then I would say go on whichever treatment your doctor will allow you because (if it works) you will feel great

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever tried Erythromycin? It's an anti biotic which I took for three months last year. It made me feel pretty ill while I was taking it, but it did clear my skin up, and my skin was awful!

I also used Benzyl Peroxide every night before bed, and that, along with the antibiotic, cleared it well!

ReputationRep:
    For the pill, you don't necessarily need a prescription. Some Boots stores have drop in Sexual Health clinics where you just go in and use a fake name if you want to. You chat to someone for a while then they give you the pill.

But do see your doctor first

ReputationRep:
    i was on the pill for a couple of months for acne. worked for me! but i did put weight on as a side effect. did clear it thou so

ReputationRep:
    Ive been on Dianette in the past for my skin and although it improved it slightly, I still suffered with regular breakouts and oily skin. When I stopped taking it my skin got gradually worse

Ive tried Erythmyocin (is that the right spelling??!) and every cream going but none worked for me, I'm currently taking Lymecycline which has made me break out terribly (and I mean terribly, to the point where I dont want to leave the house my skin is so bad - never had such inflammed, sore acne before but I am told this is normal) and waiting to see a dermatologist.

What exactly have you tried so far?

(Original post by Billydodger)
    Yeah, what the above posters are saying. Cos although you say you've "tried everything"...I get the impression you ahven't actually been to the Doctor about it yet. The pill is usually one of the LAST things they will reccommend you for acne. First they'll be Panoxyl 2.5 cream (dries your face out), then Duac (dries face out + antibiotics), then antibiotics such as tetracycline then maybe the pill, then roaccutane. So yeah, i doubt they're gonna tell you to go on the pill first.
    I have been to both the doctor and dermatologist and was on skinoren, duac, and antibiotics (tetracycline) and a load of other crap since I was 14. I'm now 18 and it's only gotten worse...the last time I visited the dermatologist he suggested roaccutane, I have another appointment in a few weeks, but my parents aren't keen on roaccutane because of the side effects, so I'm really confused as to what my options are.

(Original post by tbm)
    Ive been on Dianette in the past for my skin and although it improved it slightly, I still suffered with regular breakouts and oily skin. When I stopped taking it my skin got gradually worse

Ive tried Erythmyocin (is that the right spelling??!) and every cream going but none worked for me, I'm currently taking Lymecycline which has made me break out terribly (and I mean terribly, to the point where I dont want to leave the house my skin is so bad - never had such inflammed, sore acne before but I am told this is normal) and waiting to see a dermatologist.

What exactly have you tried so far?
    I've tried the over-the-counter stuff: freederm, clearasil, quinoderm etc, and was prescribed duac, skinoren and antibiotics about a year ago. It worked okay...no miracles, and as soon as i stopped taking it my acne came back. I've been back to the doctor a couple of times, and have tried other creams, but nothing's really worked...my skin clears up and then when i'm about to go on my period, it just gets super oily and no matter what i do, I just break out!! I'm going to the dermatologist again in a few weeks so hopefully he'll give me something that will work! If not then I'm going to try and talk my parents round and give roaccutane a go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been to both the doctor and dermatologist and was on skinoren, duac, and antibiotics (tetracycline) and a load of other crap since I was 14. I'm now 18 and it's only gotten worse...the last time I visited the dermatologist he suggested roaccutane, I have another appointment in a few weeks, but my parents aren't keen on roaccutane because of the side effects, so I'm really confused as to what my options are.
    Well everything has side effects. YOU'VE just got to decide whether those possible side effects outweigh the benefit of clearer skin. And its a decision YOU have to make as it will affect YOUR body...not your parents'.

Also, no matter what your parents say about hormonal balances etc for later life. Question everything...if there has never been a scientific study even suggesting it then I would discount their random theory.

ReputationRep:
    I have been off dianette for a week and a bit. Apparently, it makes your skin so much worse than it ever was when you stop taking it.

I found myself taking more risks and spending loads of money, where before I was so cautious with spending my money. It made me more emotional and depressive than i was before and gave me white patches on my arms.

ReputationRep:
    I have friends who went on the pill at 14, 15 without their parents finding out.
    Do you have any sexual health clinics near you?

If you decide to, you can go to one of the clinics and they just give you a form to fill out, with your name, address, etc. You can opt out of things being sent to your house, and it's confidential for anyone over the age of 13, so you're fine.

In my experience, the pill doesn't affect anything but conception, haha. I have some spots on my back that didn't really change at all while I was on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billydodger)
    mmm, when I went to the clinic about my skin I was put on the pill immediately, then on a different appointment 3 months later the doctor recommended Panoxyl - so they may well put her on the pill if she wanted it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.