Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Evaluate my diet for its strength/mass building merit.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    For those of you that don't know, im currently taking the Texas Method workout (see fitness bloggs), i haven't stalled yet but its early days...
    anyway, i know my diet isn't carrot for carrot copied from a bodybuilding menu, but id appreciate some insight to its merits and shortfalls.

Yesterday:

10am: 6 weetabix in semi skimmed milk + protein shake
    12:30pm 1.3 tins tuna, 1 cup brown pasta, 3/4 cup mixed vegetables, glass orange juice
    3:30 pm slice brown bread, 50g peanut butter, 300 ml semi milk +protein shake
    6:30pm 200gram chicken, 1/2 cup pasta, 1/2 cup mixed veg, glass orange juice
    9:30pm 300gram cottage cheese, 1 slice cheese on brown toast (heavy on cheese), 1 tomatoe, 300ml semi milk
    11:00pm protein shake
    11:30 Bed

Monday:

9:30am: 6 weetabix
    11:00-12:15 workout followed by protein shake
    12:45pm- 250 gram chicken breast, 1 cup pasta, 3/4 cup mixed veg 300 ml semi milk
    3:15 pm- 2 scrambled whole eggs and 1 slice toast + protein shake +300 ml semi milk
    6:15pm- 1 cup pasta, onions, 1 tin tuna, orange juice, tomatoe pasta sauce
    9:30pm 300gram cottage cheese, 1 slice cheese on brown toast (heavy on cheese), 1 tomatoe, 300ml semi milk
    11:00pm protein shake
    11:30 Bed

Tomorrow:

9am: 7 weetabix + protein shake
    12:30pm: 1.3 tins tuna, 1 cup brown pasta, 3/4 cup mixed vegetables, glass orange juice
    3:00pm: 1 slice brown bread, 50g peanut butter +protein shake, 300ml semi milk
    6:15pm: 400gram chicken, 4 roast potatoes, 1 cup mixed veg, glass orange juice
    9:30pm: 300gram cottage cheese
    11:30pm: protein shake

any comments welcome

ReputationRep:
    I lol'd at the seven weetabix. I got a picture of someone plonking them in a small bowl and just eating them like a starved dog. I have no real input here but I burst out laughing when I read that.

ReputationRep:
    looks like you spend your whole time preparing and eating food, and going to the gym.

ReputationRep:
    i think in my entire life i've met only 1 guy who wasn't astonished by my 6-8 weetabix a day habit (if i'm up REALLY early, like before 6am then it goes up to 12 weetabix)

ReputationRep:
    lmao 7 weetabix

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    looks like you spend your whole time preparing and eating food, and going to the gym.
    How the hell does it? You could prepare all that food in 30 mins each day? What is wrong with laxy people these days, or are they just terrible at time management?

What is wrong with eating healthy? Are you envious at people who eat healthy and exercise and keep fit?

ReputationRep:
    Looks good to me - not sure why you're using semi skimmed milk but I doubt there's a calorie or protein deficit so I can't see it mattering

ReputationRep:
    What macro's is this all adding upto? I would work it out myself, but it's late and I can't be bothered.

Do you know what macro's you should be hitting?

1 to 1.5g of Protein per lb of bodyweight.
    0.5 to 0.8 of fat per lb of bodyweight.

You need to hit these each day, then fill the rest up with protein/carbs/fat.

ReputationRep:
    Too much protien, not enough carbs.

Carbs that fuel workouts!!!

Recomendations for strength atheletes, American Footballers, Shot putters, Sprinters, Weightlifters (basically explosive atheletes) have the requirements from Carbs at 5-6g per kg of bodyweight.

I myself can vouch for the effectiveness of carbs in a diet for strength training, when my diet was changed by a sports dietician (I followed the high protoien, moderate carb style before) after about a week I felt like I was back on steriods, weights were up, rest was better, digestive tract was better, diet was cheaper.

You can have as many horsepower in an engine as you want, if you don't put fuel in then its not going to deliver those horsepower for any effective length of time!!!

ReputationRep:
    Gym noob here, help me with this math: Is it possible to gain muscle mass while losing body fat at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HayThereMardyBum)
    Gym noob here, help me with this math: Is it possible to gain muscle mass while losing body fat at the same time?
    It is but it takes a really long time and is a very difficult process neither muscle gain or fat loss are as quick as if done collectively

For e.g

If you spend 1 year trying to gain and loose the results will be less impressive than if you spent 9-10 months on a pure bulk then spent 2-3 months cutting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    Looks good to me - not sure why you're using semi skimmed milk but I doubt there's a calorie or protein deficit so I can't see it mattering
    i used to use whole fat milk when i was skinny, but im 94kg at 6'2 now, which isnt so weedy. i drink about 2 pints milk a day, so if i was using whole fat milk, i would be pretty much having a whole days sat fat allowance in milk alone!
    gotta watch the cholesterol too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    What macro's is this all adding upto? I would work it out myself, but it's late and I can't be bothered.

Do you know what macro's you should be hitting?

1 to 1.5g of Protein per lb of bodyweight.
    0.5 to 0.8 of fat per lb of bodyweight.

You need to hit these each day, then fill the rest up with protein/carbs/fat.
    i'm getting around 3500kcal, (i'm thinking about upping this to 4000kcal though), and normally i get around 200-240g protein (I weigh 207lbs at 6'2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    Too much protien, not enough carbs.

Carbs that fuel workouts!!!

Recomendations for strength atheletes, American Footballers, Shot putters, Sprinters, Weightlifters (basically explosive atheletes) have the requirements from Carbs at 5-6g per kg of bodyweight.

I myself can vouch for the effectiveness of carbs in a diet for strength training, when my diet was changed by a sports dietician (I followed the high protoien, moderate carb style before) after about a week I felt like I was back on steriods, weights were up, rest was better, digestive tract was better, diet was cheaper.

You can have as many horsepower in an engine as you want, if you don't put fuel in then its not going to deliver those horsepower for any effective length of time!!!
    i only work out 3 times a week, for about 1 hour though. do you think i need to up my carb intake on rest and training days? or just the training days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc1991)
    i used to use whole fat milk when i was skinny, but im 94kg at 6'2 now, which isnt so weedy. i drink about 2 pints milk a day, so if i was using whole fat milk, i would be pretty much having a whole days sat fat allowance in milk alone!
    gotta watch the cholesterol too
    Are you serious? :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    Are you serious? :dry:
    lol, i meant heart disease and the various risks associated with a diet high in fat

ReputationRep:
    lol, i meant heart disease and the various risks associated with a diet high in fat
    lawl we aren't 60 m8

ReputationRep:
    i only work out 3 times a week, for about 1 hour though. do you think i need to up my carb intake on rest and training days? or just the training days?
    Are you training to be strong or training to be an also ran?

What is your routine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    Are you training to be strong or training to be an also ran?

What is your routine?
    i'm training to get stronger, I would like to get bigger too, not to bothered about body definition as long as i'm not "fat".

i'm currently working on the Texas Method, my blog http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post28977905

as i'm sure you know, monday on the texas method is a very taxing workout so i guess i need lots of carbs on monday. Wednesdays workout isn't demanding, and Fridays although its intense, shouldnt need masses of carbs surely?

ReputationRep:
    Try it and see. If you become a fatty boom boom, dial back the carbs.

Far too much navel gazing in the Fitness forum in my opinion, not enough doing. However, given your bodyweight and strength levels, you will be able to gain plenty of strength if you maintain your current bodyweight, just because you're relatively new to squats, deads and rows.

Just my $.02.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.