Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today my boss asked me whether Id be intrested in doing an internship at Man Investments in Zurich. He is a former employee there and still knows some people there. Of course he couldnt promise me, but he said it shouldnt be a problem.

I just want to know how an internship at Man Group compares to an IB internship at a BB.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Take it. Be grateful for the opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by messy17)
    Take it. Be grateful for the opportunity.
    I didnt ask for your advice whether I should take it or not. I asked how it compares to an IB internship at a BB....

Man Group is rather large. You'd have to be specific about the area in Man Group. They do broking, run their own hedge funds and all sorts of other activity.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by President_Ben)
      Man Group is rather large. You'd have to be specific about the area in Man Group. They do broking, run their own hedge funds and all sorts of other activity.
      As mentioned above: Man Investments.

I guess its structured fund. Since my boss worked there

(Original post by dogfights)
        As mentioned above: Man Investments.

I guess its structured fund. Since my boss worked there
        Decent place to be so long as you're ok with the "silo risk" so early on because it's going to be a pretty rigid set of stuff you'll do with little applicability elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
        Are you penultimate year? - if so find out if they would convert you for a grad role, because the Grad cycle is pretty tough.

ReputationRep:
        i just want to know how this internship compares to an IB internship at a BB in terms of job prospects, reputation ect!

Where would you rather go? IB at BB or Man Group!! For Gods sake
        Am I talking chinese?

ReputationRep:
        Pretty sure President Ben already answered your question.

You didnt even mention what you are interested in, what you want to do later on etc.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by derivstrader)
        Pretty sure President Ben already answered your question.

You didnt even mention what you are interested in, what you want to do later on etc.

He surely didnt answer my question.

Well, since this is the Investment Banking and Consultancy forum you can assume that I dont want to be a fire fighter...

Ill try to make it easier: What looks better on the CV: Man Group or BB??

For a EQUIVALENT position that is! same city, same salary, same everything!

You guys are like parents: "mum who would win if god fights against satan?"
        "well son, i cant answer that question, because they would never fight"

I dont care if they would ever fight or not. if its is possible or if it is based on assumptions or different information. Just answer that very simple question!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by dogfights)
        He surely didnt answer my question.

Well, since this is the Investment Banking and Consultancy forum you can assume that I dont want to be a fire fighter...

Ill try to make it easier: What looks better on the CV: Man Group or BB??

For a EQUIVALENT position that is! same city, same salary, same everything!

You guys are like parents: "mum who would win if god fights against satan?"
        "well son, i cant answer that question, because they would never fight"

I dont care if they would ever fight or not. if its is possible or if it is based on assumptions or different information. Just answer that very simple question!
        If in the future you are applying to work in investment management, Man Group looks better on your CV.

If in the future you are applying to work in investment banking, a bulge bracket investment bank looks better on your CV.

ReputationRep:
        You haven't told us what it is you want to do, yes we figured that you want to work in IB, but IB is huge, you could want to work in S&T or IBD, you could even want to work in compliance.

If you want to go on to doing what you have interned in and have an identical internship at a BB then personally i would go for the latter because you have the chance of being given a place on a grad scheme.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.