Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After spending a seriously long time trying decide what career I'm going to do after Uni, it's taken me until the end of the first term of my second year to come to conclusion that IB is where I want to be.

It's left me with a few time difficulties though as some Intern app. cycles have closed. I'm trying to get in some CV's to banks that are still taking applications but as I've taken so long in deciding what I want to do I have literally NO relevant work exp e.g. haven't taken part in a Spring Week, haven't joined any sort of trading soc at uni and haven't done young enterprise.

I'm doing Physics at Bristol and I've got a part-time job at a local coffee shop and I play for the university Rugby team. I'll be able to pile on the competency values from rugby and my job but actual financial knowledge/experience is lacking.

Any help with how I could make my CV more successful would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You could contact smaller firms and Boutiques for work shadowing over the summer, contact relatives/friends who work in the industry, see if they can help you. The next year you could still apply for a summer internship (which i reckon would be easier to get onto than a graduate scheme) even if you're in your third year. If you're successful and after your summer internship they give you an offer then you would have to wait for a while until you can start working for them.

Increase your knowledge of the industry by reading books on the industry and going on investopedia. Another way which really helped me was doing the Bloomberg Aptitude test, i did it with the sole purpose of finding out what i don't know so that i could go and learn about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.