let's say you accept offer from firm 1 (you do this for security. you don't want to see the offer retracted), but later on, after you get some more offers, you decide you want to work for firm 2.
what does firm 2 think about the fact you've already signed with firm 1 and are going back on your agreement with that firm?
is it possible they'd be so unimpressed with this that they might even reconsider their offer?
this is all with respect to consultancies, not banks, if it makes any difference.
Accepting offers before you're sure: bad idea? Watch
- Thread Starter
- 22-12-2010 23:45
- Community Assistant
- CV Helper
- 22-12-2010 23:59
A) are you sure firm 1 will retract the offer? They want you, it costs to go back and find another candidate, and if all you want is an extra few weeks to decide, they'll probably give you that.
B) how does firm 2 know that you have signed with firm 1? But no, in general, if they want you, they want you and will try to get you. I'm not suggesting that as a graduate candidate you have massive buying power, but if you have offers, you have some.
Generally however, yes, it is bad form to sign when you are still waiting for other offers you would take if you get them. Tell OW you would like time to see how your McKinsey application works out.Last edited by threeportdrift; 23-12-2010 at 00:01.
- Thread Starter
- 23-12-2010 00:33
A) i'm not. in fact, the firm 1 offer doesn't expire until march. however, they give out many more offers than the number they expect/want to hire. supposing everyone else accepted their offers and, all of a sudden, firm 1 was looking to cut back... unlikely but possible.
B) they might find out simply by asking in the interview (i wouldn't lie about it). alternatively, they might find out from the firm directly if and when i broke the contract.
cheers for your thoughts. i had more-or-less resolved to hold off on the offer until my mckinsey interview. it's simply bad etiquette to sign 'provisionally'. firm 1 isn't oliver wyman but i'd rather not say who. basically, firm 1 has a lot going for it and if i thought i would be risking my offer by holding off for a few weeks, i'd commit to it in an instant.Last edited by noodles_555; 23-12-2010 at 00:34.
- 23-12-2010 01:40
Sign, Lever, Renege.
- 23-12-2010 10:46
- 27-12-2010 19:16
It's a competitive market and the other firm doesn't care. As others have said, sign, lever, renege.
Say the other firm you've got the offer from is booz...
1. You sign for booz. Assuming there are no legal restraints on you applying to other firms, then you can also continue waiting on McK
2. McK then interviews you. If they ask, you mention you already have booz, but that you like McK more. This will make McK more interested, not less.
3a. McK then accepts you. So you reject booz and having signed early doesn't matter since they're out of your life for the foreseeable future. Worst case is they will clawback any golden hellos
3b. McK rejects you. So you stick with booz and they are none the wiser. Even if they do find out, they wont care - the partners only care about getting good consultants on their projects for the role
FYI - I worked for 5 yrs in OW financial services, so I'm going on how I think the firm would react (I've never actually done this) - and I don't recall my offer letter (back in the day) having any constraints about applying to other firms.
(Original post by The IC Guy)
- 27-12-2010 21:56
This. Over and over again if you need to. Do what's best for your career.
This. They wouldn't hesitate to ****can you so look out for yourself.