Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Serious over-tiredness - Need advice/feedback Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ever since I can remember I have always been overtired. I need a minimum of 8 hours sleep a day to concentrate during lectures at uni and even then usually require to go home and nap inbetween. However many hours I sleep, I still feel tired and for most of the day will have bags under my eyes (even if only a little).

I also, for no reason, sleep through my alarm sometimes which goes on for 3 minutes, even though I've already slept 8/9/10 hours. It's effecting my university work. I study maths at a good university and I've got away in previous years with jsut doing so much more work than anyone else to make up for my lack of concentration but now it's all getting too much. I am just not productive enough.

I also have a food problem. I eat continually throughout the day (without ever putting on any weight whatsoever) and even after a heavy dinner, will be hungry again within an hour. I become very reluctant on food and would not be able to do any form of exercise/mental exercise if I go about 4 hours without food.

On top of this I get depsression, highs and lows consistantly. I have a huge fear of failure and am constantly stressing out about my future, my life, my family, health etc. One day i'm on top of the world and the next I'm low and feel like giving up with everything.

Aside from all the negativity, I DO lead a normal life. I am sporty, exercising most days if I can and sa I have already said, am at a good university and I have a fairly good social life.

It just seems that I am constantly tired, achey eyes/ headache. Also I seem to have a weak immune system. Without ever getting seriously ill, I seem to have cold symptoms throughout the whole winter, very rarely going a day without a sore thrat/blocked nose etc.

What's my problem? Do you think I may have a mild case of ME? Is there a cause for my type of constant overtiredness? Is it my diet?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you have a thyroid problem?

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health-informa...active-thyroid

Regardless best go to a docter.
    Sucks though, I have the same problem! still don't know the cause of it.
    Though depression and lack of fitness is probably my culprit :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a doctor, so I can't diagnose you, but I think you definitely need to go and see one; this is not healthy, and by going they may be able to treat you and your life would improve greatly. It would be worth it
    Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so far for your comments.

May I also add that I have an incredibly over-active brain. I struggle reading (and this is a problem!) because I find i'm thinking of something else constantly as I read over the lines.

I have sheets of revision notes for maths and I have to read them time and time again to take anything in!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.