Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend of two years dumped me a few weeks ago, said he stopped loving me a while ago, so obviously I've been upset about that. But weirdly, after a week or so I stopped hating him and realised how strong it had made me, and that I was better off without him. The thing is, a friend has started talking to me alot more since, and I feel like we're becoming more than friends. I'm worried that this is too soon for me to be feeling like this about another guy, as I was with my ex for so long. I feel like I should feel guilty about it, which I do, but I'm more surprised that I've picked myself up so quickly and am ready to face the future, but more so that I'm starting to see there are others guys around me and not just my ex. Should I feel guilty? Should I try and stop the feelings with this guy?

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't feel guilty, but i do warn you that the feelings you feel for this guy may largely be influenced by the fact that you're trying to get over your ex. Just give it time before you make a move or anything, see how you feel in a few months.

I say that as somebody who split with 3 year boyfriend 6 months ago, and is now obsessing over somebody knowing fully well that i'm subconsciously trying to fill the void... i think.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do not feel guilty. You have every right to be happy regardless of your ex The feelings that you're having for this other person might be wonderful and promising but take your time as it might be more of a rush from a surprisingly quick recovery. Otherwise, go enjoy your life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend of two years dumped me a few weeks ago, said he stopped loving me a while ago, so obviously I've been upset about that. But weirdly, after a week or so I stopped hating him and realised how strong it had made me, and that I was better off without him. The thing is, a friend has started talking to me alot more since, and I feel like we're becoming more than friends. I'm worried that this is too soon for me to be feeling like this about another guy, as I was with my ex for so long. I feel like I should feel guilty about it, which I do, but I'm more surprised that I've picked myself up so quickly and am ready to face the future, but more so that I'm starting to see there are others guys around me and not just my ex. Should I feel guilty? Should I try and stop the feelings with this guy?
    This sounds exactly like what my friend's just been through

There are two ways to view it:
    1) It's a rebound. Don't go there as you'll soon realise the mistake.
    2) Your feelings for your now-ex weren't as strong as you thought during the time you were together, and you're now looking to compensate for it.

My advice?
    No matter what the situation, don't be so keen to jump straight into another relationship straight after a break up. I know you've been apart for a few weeks, but that amount of time is small fry compared to the amount of time you were together with your ex.

Do you think I should just not rush into anything, but what if he asked me on a date? Would I say no? Would I explain the situation, he knows I've just come out of a relationship so the fact he's been texting me has been a nice company, shows me someone else cares, and I'm not alone. I think he understands though, he knows me well enough about what has been going on and everything recently, so I don't think he is going to rush into anything either. I just feel like he understands, which is nice

ReputationRep:
    No, you shouldn't, but he might just be a rebound guy, so beware of hurting his feelings :dontknow: x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well, I see two possible options,
    1.Just do the guy
    or
    2.Run a poll on TSR asking
    A.Should I
    B.Should I not
    Then go with the poll winner.

ReputationRep:
    No, you shouldn't feel guilty. since you have parted, it is not necessary for you to waste time and experience on past things.

ReputationRep:
    Life's too short to over analyze things like this. Just bang him already.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.