Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How difficult would it be to get into an IB for a technology role in your career if you did not get on an IB graduate scheme? If you start of as a grad at a hedge fund is it still possible to move into an IB?

Also, what about moving from an IT industry to the tech division at an IB? Basically I want to know if it will be really hard for me to get a job at Goldman or JPM if my graduate programme has been at IBM or a hedge fund?

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine it's quite possible. I don't know for sure so don't listen to me, but I'd be very surprised if this move was impossible. Anyway...

working for a hedge fund >>>> working for an investment bank

ReputationRep:
    Whether your grad scheme is at IBM or a hedge fund will change the answer in a big way in my opinion.

I'd guess moving from a hedge fund to goldman wont be an issue, however from IBM to goldman I would guess would be a little harder. However you'd have it the wrong way around. You're suppose to start at goldman, and end up at a hedge fund!

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine does GS IT. He says it's hard for industry IT professionals to get into IB. The issue is the skill set and way of working. Generally, the languages, and more importantly, the application of those languages is different in industry vs. IB.

I don't think it's impossible, though. After all, IBM is very respected, so you have to have the right types of coding experience to make the jump it may be doable.

Note, I'm not an expert on IB IT, and so can only speak anecdotally based on what my friends have told me.

On the other point, yes moving from a hedgie to an IB is much easier than doing it the other way around. Most people start in the IB and go to the hedge since the payout is larger. I'm talking about FO experience though. If working IT/ops at a hedgie, it may be worse starting at hedgies and then trying to switch to IB. HFs don't usually invest heavily in cutting edge platforms (unless they're high freq / algos of course)

P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pauln182)
    On the other point, yes moving from a hedgie to an IB is much easier than doing it the other way around. Most people start in the IB and go to the hedge since the payout is larger. I'm talking about FO experience though. If working IT/ops at a hedgie, it may be worse starting at hedgies and then trying to switch to IB. HFs don't usually invest heavily in cutting edge platforms (unless they're high freq / algos of course)

P
    I disagree. People seem to forget that hedge funds are a dime in a dozen. There are hundreds of hedge funds in London alone. There's a big difference between working for a top well known fund, and working for a small outfit. In essence
    Moving from a top HF -> IB would be a lot easier than moving from a small fund to IB. Saying that, I don't think it would be that difficult for you to network your way into a technology program at a bank. That's an area banks sometimes struggle to fill up so signifying interest and networking should easily get you interviews.

ReputationRep:
    do any hedge funds in London offer summer internships?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.