Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, had my regular dental check up yesterday, turns out i have a wisdom tooth coming through on the top row of my teeth

My dentist said i am likely to need it taken out, cleverly i came home and googled wisdom teeth and have now scared myself about having them taken out
    I'm pretty nervous when it comes to visiting the dentist and now im not sure i'll be able to go through with it!

Has anyone else got wisdom teeth and kept them /had them taken out?

Thankyouu

ReputationRep:
    Well, I know I've got 4 wisdom teeth from x-rays taken years back.. And my orthodontist said I didn't have space for them so I had to get 4 other teeth take out to compensate..

I think one's coming out right now, not too sure.. But if you need it taken out, it's the best thing really because otherwise it could get infected, or plaque can grow in places you can't reach when brushing which can cause decay..

ReputationRep:
    I found I need to take my bottom left one out on Monday. I wouldnt be too scared, theres like LOADS of people that have had their wisdom tooth taken out and theyre fine! Also, the tooth would probably do more harm whilst its still in your mouth. I know mine will crap up my teeth after taking out my braces only a little while ago! So Im not too worried about it and neither should you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_T)
    Hi, had my regular dental check up yesterday, turns out i have a wisdom tooth coming through on the top row of my teeth

My dentist said i am likely to need it taken out, cleverly i came home and googled wisdom teeth and have now scared myself about having them taken out
    I'm pretty nervous when it comes to visiting the dentist and now im not sure i'll be able to go through with it!

Has anyone else got wisdom teeth and kept them /had them taken out?

Thankyouu
    Don't panic. If they cause you many problems it's definitely worth having done

I've had 3 out. The first one was taken out under local anaesthetic at the dentist. It was a bit sore for a while after the anaesthetic wore off but I hadn't needed stitches so it was just about a day of tenderness in the gums

I had the other two removed at the hospital under general anaesthetic a few weeks ago. I've heard some horror stories but I had absolutely no problems. The anaesthetic wore off relatively quickly. The most annoying part of the whole thing was a slightly sore nose and scratchy throat for about half hour from the tube being removed. After that I just felt slightly bruised for the rest of the day but nothing major. The stitches dissolved after 2 days and I was eating solid food with no problem at all the day after. It really wasn't as unpleasant as some of the things I've heard and to be honest, the pain and damage to my cheek that the wisdom teeth caused just wasn't worth putting up with.

Hope it all goes well

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thankyou so much everyone I panic just having a check up really!
    If the dentist says i need it out, no doubt i will end up getting it out, just at the moment i'd like to think i don't have to haha!

Its not really the pain that bothers me, because the pain isn't really ever that bad, i think its more the idea of it and the noises things at the dentists make

ReputationRep:
    If the dentist says i need it out, no doubt i will end up getting it out, just at the moment i'd like to think i don't have to haha!

Its not really the pain that bothers me, because the pain isn't really ever that bad, i think its more the idea of it and the noises things at the dentists make
    You could just see how it goes before having it removed? Some people don't get any problems at all. My dentist didn't even spot that mine wouldn't have enough room to grow so trust your own judgement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    You could just see how it goes before having it removed? Some people don't get any problems at all. My dentist didn't even spot that mine wouldn't have enough room to grow so trust your own judgement
    Yeah thats what i'm going to do
    My dentist seemed pretty sure he'd be taking it out haha
    Although, if i had to have it taken out i'd prefer being asleep! Do you get the choice?
    X

ReputationRep:

I actually went to the dentist today for the first time in around 1 and half years. It took so long between visits becuase I kept putting it off because, like you, I get pretty nervous about going to the dentist. I agree with you on the pain issue. Since any area having work done will, at least, be numbed then pain has never been an issue. My issue is that I gag incredibly easy.

Before I went today (well, yesterday now) I looked a few things up and I went in there and listing all of these concerns I had, especially since it had been so long between visits and she ended up saying I actually have really healthy teeth. I was actually quite shocked and she said most people will think the situation is a lot worse than it actually is. Anyway, apparently one of my wisdom teeth is coming through sideways and they want to check on it again in 6 months.

I've had teeth out in the past. In fact, I've got three teeth missing on one side of my mouth. I went into the hospital for that procedure and, I believe, it's possible to have wisdom teeth taken out at the hospital under general anaesthetic, therefore you won't, or at least shouldn't, hear any horrible dentist noises. Even though I have my own problems, if I have to have mine taken out I will get it done under local anaesthetic because I just can't be bothered going into hospital again for any kind of extraction.

Sorry for the quite long post about, well, me.

ReputationRep:
    last year i had all four of them taken out in one sitting! i had it done in a hospital though,not in the dentist....i don't know about others here . however i can remember the days of recovery like they were yesterday! ;(
    1) medicines, like antibiotics, painkillers, and this chlorhexidine mouthwash.....ended up with constant feeling of bad breath, furry tongue, oily skin until the medicine courses were completed.
    2) having to be on soft food diet for first 4 or 5 days (i discovered an appreciation for porridge i never knew i had !)
    3) swelling that took about 2 weeks to die down - i had hamster cheeks and looked like a female version of peter griffin from 'family guy' :| i couldnt open my mouth properly/wishout pain when wanting to brush my teeth or putting a spoon of food in my mouth
    4) and also because of the swelling on my gums,my other teeth felt as if they were pushed closer/tighter together; i could feel one or two of my teeth 'raising',and i thought i was going to lose those teeth my bite when relaxed hasn't been the same since :/
    5).....also i lost about 4kg of my body weight because of having to limit on food intake

sorry to scare you........i don't mean to maybe you won't experience the same amount of pain i did as you're only having 1 tooth removed? ^^ wishing you the best. x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what i'm going to do
    My dentist seemed pretty sure he'd be taking it out haha
    Although, if i had to have it taken out i'd prefer being asleep! Do you get the choice?
    X
    I think you only get the option of GA if you go to hospital...? Which I had to because they were so embedded. If it is a matter of simply having it pulled, ie, it's through enough to not need surgery at the hospital, don't worry about being awake It's fairly quickly and all you feel is like a suction feeling as it's removed.

Speaking of wisdom teeth, I'm pretty sure I'm gona need my fourth out :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, I've got a wisdom tooth coming through that I'm not getting removed, and it's not an exaggeration to say it's the most painful thing I've ever experienced.

I've never had to use painkillers for anything before, but I've had an unhealthy amount of packs over the last few days. Worst thing is they wear off while I'm sleeping, so I always wake up early because of the pain.

So having them out is probably a good thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    last year i had all four of them taken out in one sitting! i had it done in a hospital though,not in the dentist....i don't know about others here . however i can remember the days of recovery like they were yesterday! ;(
    1) medicines, like antibiotics, painkillers, and this chlorhexidine mouthwash.....ended up with constant feeling of bad breath, furry tongue, oily skin until the medicine courses were completed.
    2) having to be on soft food diet for first 4 or 5 days (i discovered an appreciation for porridge i never knew i had !)
    3) swelling that took about 2 weeks to die down - i had hamster cheeks and looked like a female version of peter griffin from 'family guy' :| i couldnt open my mouth properly/wishout pain when wanting to brush my teeth or putting a spoon of food in my mouth
    4) and also because of the swelling on my gums,my other teeth felt as if they were pushed closer/tighter together; i could feel one or two of my teeth 'raising',and i thought i was going to lose those teeth my bite when relaxed hasn't been the same since :/
    5).....also i lost about 4kg of my body weight because of having to limit on food intake

sorry to scare you........i don't mean to maybe you won't experience the same amount of pain i did as you're only having 1 tooth removed? ^^ wishing you the best. x
    Sounds like us multiple teeth extraction people get a raw deal. All of that rings true for me, but mine weren't wisdom teeth. I actually had to have some of my jaw chipped away in order to extract all of the teeth. When I had the padding taken out of my gum a month after the operation it was pretty cool, and weird, being able to saw my jaw bone through a tiny gap in my gum.

My experience of the hospital wasn't all that good. It's supposed to be in and out on the same day, but they hadn't got the antibiotics ready that I needed to take home, so I had to stay the night.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh jeez!!
    Does that mean when you start getting 1, you will start to get them all :confused:
    Agh!!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh jeez!!
    Does that mean when you start getting 1, you will start to get them all :confused:
    Agh!!
    No. I still have all four and I'm only having a problem with one. My others are fine, though one of them does have ample room since there are no teeth to get in the way thanks to my previous extractions.

One thing I'll say against general anaesthetic which may only apply to me, but I really don't like the feeling of waking up and not knowing what happened. To this day, I'm not sure how long I was under for and something about those uncertainties doesn't sit easy with me, but ignore me. That's just the ridiculous way my mind works.

Also, I'm sorry if we are scaring you even more. That certainly isn't my intention.

ReputationRep:
    OP, on a serious note, if you have the chance to have it taken out, do it. My wisdom tooth is causing me so much agony at the moment, I've had one wisdom tooth infection previously, had to take 2 lots of antibiotics. I've now got another one except for it's come through at an even more dodgy angle and is shredding my cheek. You dont want all the hassle and pain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    OP, on a serious note, if you have the chance to have it taken out, do it. My wisdom tooth is causing me so much agony at the moment, I've had one wisdom tooth infection previously, had to take 2 lots of antibiotics. I've now got another one except for it's come through at an even more dodgy angle and is shredding my cheek. You dont want all the hassle and pain!
    Exactly what's happening to me! Seeing as you've been through it before, can you tell me how long it took until it was fine again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midpikyrozziy)
    Exactly what's happening to me! Seeing as you've been through it before, can you tell me how long it took until it was fine again?
    It took about 2 weeks. But thats because they gave me amoxicillin and it had no effect on me, so then they gave me metronidazole and it worked. You need to keep salt water rinsing it, try not have bitty things like biscuits and stuff cos they can get trapped. I'm going to try make an emergency dentist appointment in the morning because I can't eat anymore its just shredding my cheek ive got a cut right at the back where its digging in and i dont see how its going to heal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    It took about 2 weeks. But thats because they gave me amoxicillin and it had no effect on me, so then they gave me metronidazole and it worked. You need to keep salt water rinsing it, try not have bitty things like biscuits and stuff cos they can get trapped. I'm going to try make an emergency dentist appointment in the morning because I can't eat anymore its just shredding my cheek ive got a cut right at the back where its digging in and i dont see how its going to heal.
    Uh oh, amoxicillin's what I've got, hope it works better for me.

Good luck anyway, hope it won't affect any Xmas eating plans

ReputationRep:
    That's nothing, I have to have a root canal done.

ReputationRep:
    I had all my wisdom teeth out earlier in the year under GA (in hospital). However this isnt really the norm and they will avoid doing this if they can, I had to wait ages to have it done and it took me ages to recover after. In hindsight I would have preferred to have them out under local anaesthetic if I could have.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.