Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think it is hard to make real and deep friendships if you... Watch

Announcements

Do you think it is hard to make real and deep friendships if you change setting quite regularly? So for example do you think it's hard to make good friendships at school if you've been changing school every 3 years? Or make good friendships at work if you change job frequently?

When I mean real friendship, I don't just mean some normal friend you won't ever see again just because circumstances (like school) didn't force you to see each other. For example I thought I had quite good friends at school, but then I realized none of us meant much to each other because when we left school we don't ever see each other again, just have a brief conversation on Facebook every few months (or once a year).

Also how many of you have a group of friends (or best friends) who have been close to each other ever since you were little?

ReputationRep:
    yeah easily.

After leaving school I still see people every now and then. They'd just call me to go out or something.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much effort you make doesn't it? If you want to keep seeing your friends from school you have to make the effort and make plans.

Me and my closest friend have been friends since primary school and in the same friendship group throughout primary & secondary school. We now go to Uni at opposite ends of the UK

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I guess it will be harder.
    I've known some of my friends most of my life, however my bestest bestest bestest bestest, and most awesome friend, I've only properly got to know for four years now, so I wouldn't say it is impossible...you just need to find that person you click with I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's possible, because friends tend to cement within a year or so, I guess. Real friends that is. I've so far kept in touch with those whom I deemed to be close friends in high school.

Two of them I've known since I was a little kid, 7 years old or something. The other two about more recent - one from about 12, the other only from about 16 (I'm 18 now).

ReputationRep:
    It depends. Not including moving to uni, I've moved house 3 times. (when I was 1, 7, 13) Not as much as you were saying in the OP but still significantly more than a lot of people. I'm still in touch which a few people, but it means I don't have any friends I've known since I was really little. I think there's two or three people from when I was 7-13 that I'll stay friends with for a long long time, but it is a lot harder to make new friends when you move into an environment where everyone else already knows each other. It wasn't a problem when I was 7, but when I moved house at 13, it took me ages to settle. For the whole of year 9 I didn't really have friends at my new school, because everyone else was settled into their friendship groups. It took a long time, and even by the end I still didn't have the 'friendship group' that other people had - I'd made lots of friends outside of school, but it was less good inside.

ReputationRep:
    i have real friends (and enemies) I prefer to see them occasionally

ReputationRep:
    I think this is more the sort of thing that life's too short to worry about when you're young. The situation you describe is bad but it doesn't necessarily mean you're not good friends. Your friendship is probably based on doing stuff together rather than talking - both are fine. If it's the first, then you're gonna remain friends when you all separate for uni but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be spilling your heart out all over Facebook Chat. Back in the olden days when you couldn't really communicate apart from the odd letter, it didn't mean people necessarily became less fond of each other when they went on a months-long trip down to London to sell the barley and wheat every year. And also you will naturally see friends grow silenter as time goes on - they've said everything, but they still remain friends. Look at old couples.

Don't sweat it.

Not had the group of friends myself, only made my first friend when I was 10 which is why I'm so ****ed up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.