Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Meeting with one of my more ... erratic friends Watch

I'm meeting up with an old friend tomorrow; she only comes home two or three times a year, so we meet up pretty much every time. However, I never know what to do at Christmas...

She's very erratic with gifts. I gave her one for a three years in a row before figuring that she wasn't big on Christmas, which I'm fine with ... then, next year, she shows up with one. Not the next year. But then she did again year after. I bought her one last year, but she didn't me again.

So I just don't know what to expect. Should I get her a gift, or shouldn't I? Maybe just write out a card? But then, if she does get me a gift, that looks to be, "I remembered Christmas, but didn't deem you gift-worthy," rather than, "I thought we weren't going Christmas."

ReputationRep:
    Just get her a gift?

(Original post by no-fat-chicks)
    Just get her a gift?
    Well I would, but I'm not really a celebrator myself and only get them for people who do ... which I'm not sure if she does or if she just responded by social convention, so I respond by social convention and we'll carry on like that.

Get her a small gift, put it in your pocket, do not put a name tag on it.

Scenario one:
      She gets a present out and surprises you. BOOM, you get your present out of your pocket and give it to her. Everyone is happy.

Scenario two:
      She gives you no present. You walk out after having a good catch up with the present remaining firmly in your pocket. BOOM, you give it to another friend.

Just like that, you're the worlds best person.

ReputationRep:
      I don't think whether someone gets you a gift is the reason to get them one.

(Original post by d123)
      I don't think whether someone gets you a gift is the reason to get them one.
      Like I said in post three though, I don't really celebrate it myself, I just do it for people I know who do.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ritchie888)

Scenario one:
      She gets a present out and surprises you. BOOM, you get your present out of your pocket and give it to her. Everyone is happy.

Scenario two:
      She gives you no present. You walk out after having a good catch up with the present remaining firmly in your pocket. BOOM, you give it to another friend.

This.

ReputationRep:
      make them something, that way way you're not spending any money and it is more thoughtful?

ReputationRep:

Scenario one:

Scenario two:

This reminds me of an episode of my wife and kids where michael gets 2 rings for his wife; a real one and a plastic one. He then meets his wife and depending on her mood, chooses which ring to give to her.

Scenario one:

Scenario two:

(Original post by Converse)
      This.
      Then the question becomes what, because she surprised me with a £50 pen one year and a bar of Thornton's chocolate the next. Do I look to take it too seriously, or be the person who gives someone a cheap box of chocolates for a rare CD or something?

(Original post by no-fat-chicks)
        This reminds me of an episode of my wife and kids where michael gets 2 rings for his wife; a real one and a plastic one. He then meets his wife and depending on her mood, chooses which ring to give to her.
        A ring is an excellent choice of small present. You could fit at least 10 in your pocket for a whole array of erratic friends.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Anonymous)
        Like I said in post three though, I don't really celebrate it myself, I just do it for people I know who do.
        Ah that does make it more difficult then. Perhaps just a card and a small box of chocolates or something? That way, you've made an effort if she has got you something.

Otherwise, you could just text her something along the lines of 'hey looking forward to seeing you! Btw, are we doing presents this year?' Keep it casual, but my guess is that she's worrying about the exact same thing as you are!

ReputationRep:
        Then the question becomes what, because she surprised me with a £50 pen one year and a bar of Thornton's chocolate the next. Do I look to take it too seriously, or be the person who gives someone a cheap box of chocolates for a rare CD or something?
        Maybe a bracelet in the range of 15-35 pounds. That seems pretty safe. Also, try not to over-think it too much.

Get her two small gifts, put one if your left pocket, and one in your right. Both should be of different prices, one in the £5 range, one in the £500. Do not put a name tag on them.

Scenario one:
          She gets a small, low value, present out and surprises you. BOOM, you get your small, low value, present out of your pocket and give it to her. Everyone is happy.

Scenario two:
          She gets a small, high value, present out and surprises you. POW, you get your small, high value, present out of your pocket and give it to her. Everyone is happy.

Scenario three:

Just like that, you're the worlds best person with a much lighter wallet.

NB: DO NOT GET THE POCKETS MIXED UP.

Get her two small gifts, put one if your left pocket, and one in your right. Both should be of different prices, one in the £5 range, one in the £500. Do not put a name tag on them.

Scenario one:
          She gets a small, low value, present out and surprises you. BOOM, you get your small, low value, present out of your pocket and give it to her. Everyone is happy.

Scenario two:
          She gets a small, high value, present out and surprises you. POW, you get your small, high value, present out of your pocket and give it to her. Everyone is happy.

Scenario three:

Just like that, you're the worlds best person with a much lighter wallet.

NB: DO NOT GET THE POCKETS MIXED UP.
          But I won't know until Saturday...

ReputationRep:
          £500?! That seems a lot, I want to be your friend this Christmas!

We didn't do Christmas. :woo:

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.