Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is it like when comparing it to the "big cities"?

I only ask because I have an offer from Southampton University but also one from Birmingham. I'm torn between the two. I know Birmingham will have amazing nightlife (due to its size) but I prefer the course at Southampton. If the nightlife is good enough at Southampton, i'd much rather go there!

I am into my clubbing but it's not the be all and end all!

Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Bump!

ReputationRep:
    Did you apply for maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fist of the south star)
    Did you apply for maths?
    Nope, Anthropology You must be thinking i'm someone else!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of clubs: Oceana, Bliss, Junk, Jesters & Sobar are probly the best ones...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Southampton is awesome for nights out and has a huge variety to offer.

Jesters has 50p pints on Monday. Sobar has quadvods on Tuesday. There's an Oceana and loads on offer in Bedford Place.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who hails from the Midlands but goes to Soton uni, I would say that So'ton does a good job at rivalling Birmingham, if only for the fact it's more convenient getting to and from the clubs as a student (obviously I haven't been a student at B'ham but the clubs are mostly all on Broad Street in the city itself, which is a bit away from the uni, whereas you can easily walk to Jesters/Sobar...particularly when you live in a house right behind the uni library

In summary, I prefer So'ton, but you won't be missing out going to one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Southampton is awesome for nights out and has a huge variety to offer.

Jesters has 50p pints on Monday. Sobar has quadvods on Tuesday. There's an Oceana and loads on offer in Bedford Place.
    50p pints?! Where I live in Portugal, it's like £2 ... bargain.

(Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    As someone who hails from the Midlands but goes to Soton uni, I would say that So'ton does a good job at rivalling Birmingham, if only for the fact it's more convenient getting to and from the clubs as a student (obviously I haven't been a student at B'ham but the clubs are mostly all on Broad Street in the city itself, which is a bit away from the uni, whereas you can easily walk to Jesters/Sobar...particularly when you live in a house right behind the uni library

In summary, I prefer So'ton, but you won't be missing out going to one or the other.
    Ahh, it's good to get an opinion from someone who's seen both! I just had a feeling i'd be missing out if I didn't experience the big clubs of a big city. As I go along and hear more about it though, Southampton's beginning to sound far better than I first thought. It's sounds like it's got a bit more of a student community feel to it which I like and as well, realistically it is the one with the course I have more interest in ...

Urgh, tough decision though

ReputationRep:
    Nightlife is pretty awesome in southampton tbh, there is something for everyone.

Got the cheap student places like Jesters and Sobar, The Cube, which is the student union club. Stacks of pubs. Places like Oceana that are a bit more "dressy uppy" than Sobar etc. As well as some awesome places for live music. Good clubs in bedford place if you like your drum and bass and other dance music. Cheesy clubs like reflex. There's a good variety.

The only thing Birmingham might have is some bigger "super" clubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montyr)
    Nightlife is pretty awesome in southampton tbh, there is something for everyone.

Got the cheap student places like Jesters and Sobar, The Cube, which is the student union club. Stacks of pubs. Places like Oceana that are a bit more "dressy uppy" than Sobar etc. As well as some awesome places for live music. Good clubs in bedford place if you like your drum and bass and other dance music. Cheesy clubs like reflex. There's a good variety.

The only thing Birmingham might have is some bigger "super" clubs.
    The lack of the "big club" experience puts me off slightly. I guess though really, it'd wear off pretty soon anyway + it does get expensive so it's not like I'd be doing it every week!

ReputationRep:
    Well when I say big club I mean proper huge music venues that hold thousands of people. There are plenty of clubs with a couple of floors. All the big names still perform at the Southampton venues so you won't be missing out.

Oceana holds a few thousand but it's a different experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montyr)
    Well when I say big club I mean proper huge music venues that hold thousands of people. There are plenty of clubs with a couple of floors. All the big names still perform at the Southampton venues so you won't be missing out.

Oceana holds a few thousand but it's a different experience.
    Ah that's okay then. I was just worried it was full of ridiculously small clubs. I live in Portugal so when I come back here in the Summer, i usually end up at a couple of pretty big clubs. It's never as good as it's made out to be from my experience unless there's a huge DJ on who brings in the crowds ...

Also, as far as big names go, it doesn't really bother me because I end up seeing some big DJ's here in the summer (Tiesto, Guetta, Laidback Luke, Roger Sanchez to name a few!)

ReputationRep:
    Like the others here have said, the only area in which Soton suffers compared to bigger cities is the sheer number of venues and the size of the bigger ones. There is plenty of nightlife in the city with quite a diverse range (student dives, pubs, bars, bigger clubs like Oceana, Jazz bars) of places to go. It's also not exactly far from Winchester, Bournemouth or Portsmouth, giving you further choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.