Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we privatise more? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In the UK our public sector is around 42%, thus meaning 42% of tax payers are secondary tax consumers, meaning they are paid by the government and thus don't create any wealth themselves. Do you think the royal mail should be privatised a long with other public services to try and create more primary tax contributors and create more wealth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caarl)
    In the UK our public sector is around 42%, thus meaning 42% of tax payers are secondary tax consumers, meaning they are paid by the government and thus don't create any wealth themselves. Do you think the royal mail should be privatised a long with other public services to try and create more primary tax contributors and create more wealth?
    OK what other services, other than Royal Mail.

What would be the next 10 on your list, if you wanted to do a privatisation programme?

ReputationRep:
    No, if anything, I think a nationalisation programme needs to be carried out.

ReputationRep:
    Hell nah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    What benefits would nationalisation bring to the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Aside from Royal Mail and the NHS, is there really anything less to privatise?

ReputationRep:
    Merits on both sides, but if we were to privatise, it would need to be slowly; one part at a time. Doubt that would sit well with the public however

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    OK what other services, other than Royal Mail.

What would be the next 10 on your list, if you wanted to do a privatisation programme?
    Who's referencing 10 industries? I'm merely spiking debate about whether or not we should privatise more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Aside from Royal Mail and the NHS, is there really anything less to privatise?
    Pensions could be privatised, aswell as Scotland and Wales

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caarl)
    Pensions could be privatised, aswell as Scotland and Wales
    Pensions will happen over time anyway, by the time we get to that age I imagine it'll be more or less entirely privatised because the current system is unsustainable, so it's just a matter of time. As for Scotland and Wales ... well I'm sure that would make a lot of Scottish people very happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Meanwhile, back in the real world.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There isn't the political will to privatise, nor would the electorate stomach it.

In Thatcher's time, there was an acceptance that the economy had to change for the UK to survive, but now I don't think there is that acceptance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caarl)
    Who's referencing 10 industries? I'm merely spiking debate about whether or not we should privatise more.
    Well you have to have things that you could privatise. The last Conservative administration sold off most of the things that could reasonably be privatised.

Selling off one off things like Royal Mail isn't really a privatisation programme - what services do you have in mind that could be privatised?

ReputationRep:
    For a start the royal mail, pensions, the banks from the recession, parts of the NHS, all quangos and some local services could be privatised.

ReputationRep:
    We should sell off Companies House. Company law should be lax.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think if done right a few parts of the NHS could be privitised.

I thought over half our economy was now public sector?

But yeah, we should privatise more and lower taxes - try to get some private sector growth and job creation.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Dream Weaver)
      Merits on both sides, but if we were to privatise, it would need to be slowly; one part at a time. Doubt that would sit well with the public however
      I love your sig!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Teaddict)
      I love your sig!
      thanks

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.