Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am studying for my AS levels right now. I originally have/had a strong passion for medicine but my GCSE results and work experience makes this candle seem to fizzle out. So I have always said that I would like to be a lawyer should medicine not work out. I like the idea of a legal career as I have a strong interest in legal stuff. I havent done a single law qualification yet and I have about 3 or so law books on my bookshelf. I read them casually anytime I feel like it.

I enjoy it too and find it makes good reading. I also spend my time wikipedia-ing legal cases ,incidents,murders etc... And going over the thoughts.

I was wondering could I enter the big 10 law schools with these GCSE:

ENGLISH LANGUAGE B
    ENGLISH LITERATURE B
    MATHS C
    BIOLOGY C
    CHEMISTRY B
    PHYSICS B
    FRENCH A
    RELIGIOUS STUDIES A
    HISTORY E

Could I potentially get into places like University of London , Oxford/Cambridge or Warwick.

What are all of the top law schools.

Thanks in advance people.

Jonathan

Probably not. Especially with an E in an essay subject.

ReputationRep:
      Get amazing A Levels, like 3 A's minimum, because your GCSEs are atrocious when you are considering applying to a top 10 law school. Do some further reading. Explore some controversial new law or area of law. Come up with your own opinions on it. Back it up with journal articles. It's never too early. to get some work experience shadowing someone.

ReputationRep:
      Work really, really hard at your A-levels, get lots of work experience, and write a boss personal statement...then we'll talk.

We aren't the admissions tutors so your best bet is email them if they base it heavily on your GCSE grades or not. You'll get some really generic and fuzzy answers -- these are the uni's to avoid as they will say no but they're trying to polite about it -- but others will take an interest and give you an honest answer.

ReputationRep:
      This is too early a question. If you really want to do well, concentrate on your studies. Those results aren't good for law, in fact they're very bad - if you wanted to take a course in tourism -- that's fine, but law is a highly competitive subject.

Stop procrastinating and work on the task at hand; your king is nearly in checkmate, but instead of getting out of it you're still trying fool's mate.

ReputationRep:
      I'm the year below you but i want a career in law too. After researching, i agree with the others you'll have to try a lot harder. You said law wasn't your immediate passion, since medicine was but for a lot of people law is and so there's going to be a lot of competition and you'll need to be sure. Unis such as newcastle, durham, sheffield and southampton are more realistic if you're sure that you do want to study law though, sheffield for example has a special law programme, my teacher said that an A at GCSE is the equivalent to about a C at A-level, that says it all.

ReputationRep:
      I was rejected from Durham and Warwick with 3 A*, 8 A, 1 B, including Latin and Ancient Greek, French, History, all respected subjects. I'm in Sheffield at the moment and by the sound of things I have about average GCSE grades for fellow lawyers here.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks people the two career paths that i actually want to follow what degree are these crap gcse's suitable for bear in mind it isnt essential that i get into a top ten. It is just highly desirable. Is kingston a possible choice

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by red_roses)
      Work really, really hard at your A-levels, get lots of work experience, and write a boss personal statement...then we'll talk.
      This post is pretty much right. Get AAAA at AS, and be on track for AAA/A*AA for A level, and you might be able to get past your poor GCSEs with some of the top law schools. To be honest, Warwick, LSE, Oxford, and Cambridge are going to be a tough sell with GCSEs like that--they have more applicants than they can accept applying with straight A*s and AAAA at AS, so you're an easy candidate to reject at the moment. The way you alter that is getting some work experience (though to be honest Oxford and Cambridge don't really care about your work experience--they'll happily take candidates without it), reading *a lot* about law (not just wikipedia--proper books or articles, and ideally some cases), thinking about it, and nailing your A levels.

Edit: I'd quit being an online content provider--with GCSE marks like that, you shouldn't be taking on work that isn't necessary.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by House of Jonny)
      h
      It's Christmas, so the convention is to shout 'bah humbug' at the people who annoy you now

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by House of Jonny)
      Thanks people the two career paths that i actually want to follow what degree are these crap gcse's suitable for bear in mind it isnt essential that i get into a top ten. It is just highly desirable. Is kingston a possible choice
      Rofl, now you're just taking the piss.

Spoiler:
      Show
      if you're not, god save the mariner

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.