Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I phoned my former school yesterday hoping to get a reference from a teacher. She agreed to do it so I took her details etc over the phone to put on the ucas form and after sending her an email asking her to confirm its her im told the email address doesn't exist. So either I've took down her email address wrong or shes said it wrong. I can't phone the school because they finished for xmas holidays today and I have no way of contacting her so i'm basically screwed. I'm panicking right now, any advice on what I should do?

Hunt the ***** down!

ReputationRep:
      Best bet might be to find someone else to write the reference. However this needs to be someone who knows you professionally, not socially, so that could be tricky. Current/past employer could be a good choice, if you have one.

Alternatively, I assume the school starts again next term around January 6th? This would give you about a week before the deadline to get a new reference sorted, though that's leaving it a bit close.

ReputationRep:
      In all fairness, you've left this a little late towards the holidays - I didn't think schools would even be open a few days before Christmas. A bit soon to jump to conclusions about your old school 'lying' to you about email addresses though don't you think? You'll still be within the 15th of January deadline if it gets sorted quickly after the holidays, perhaps it was an honest mistake. I suppose your only other option is to find someone else who may be able to do your reference - an employer for example.

ReputationRep:
      I e-mailed my college asked for one, and named my tutor preferrably bla bla.

And they forwarded my e-mail to my tutor and sre repleid directly to me.

She took ages to do my reference, but I knew it was her.

Try and contact school as soon as term starts? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wookie42)
      In all fairness, you've left this a little late towards the holidays - I didn't think schools would even be open a few days before Christmas. A bit soon to jump to conclusions about your old school 'lying' to you about email addresses though don't you think? You'll still be within the 15th of January deadline if it gets sorted quickly after the holidays, perhaps it was an honest mistake. I suppose your only other option is to find someone else who may be able to do your reference - an employer for example.

Rep just for that sig

Stuart baggs IS a brand

ReputationRep:

I never said she lied to me about her email address theres just been some confusion. I honestly can't think of a better person to give me a reference she was my teacher for 6 years, she adored me lol and would love to give me a reference.

If I was to go see her after the holidays, say jan 8th or around that time and she completed the reference etc and everything was sorted. If I sent my application a day before the deadline would I be at a disadvantage? I hear people always saying its better to send off your application early

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by theonelink)
      I never said she lied to me about her email address theres just been some confusion. I honestly can't think of a better person to give me a reference she was my teacher for 6 years, she adored me lol and would love to give me a reference.
      Maybe I misunderstood, but your title of 'bailed on me' would suggest you felt differently

(Original post by theonelink)
      If I was to go see her after the holidays, say jan 8th or around that time and she completed the reference etc and everything was sorted. If I sent my application a day before the deadline would I be at a disadvantage? I hear people always saying its better to send off your application early
      It is a complete falsehood that getting your application in early is beneficial - yes people get offers before the deadline, but universities have to treat your application equally otherwise there would be no point in a deadline. Try and get your application in before the 13th/14th though just to make sure the processing time (up to 48hours) doesn't mess things up for you. Looks like you're going to have to have some polite words with your old teacher to get it written quickly though! Good luck

ReputationRep:
      Maybe I misunderstood, but your title of 'bailed on me' would suggest you felt differently

Yeah sorry about that lol couldn't think of another title

It is a complete falsehood that getting your application in early is beneficial - yes people get offers before the deadline, but universities have to treat your application equally otherwise there would be no point in a deadline. Try and get your application in before the 13th/14th though just to make sure the processing time (up to 48hours) doesn't mess things up for you. Looks like you're going to have to have some polite words with your old teacher to get it written quickly though! Good luck
      Thanks for clearing that up for me and the advice

ReputationRep:
      I could possibly email the headteacher and ask her to give me my teacher's email address. The headteacher's email address is on the website but it has the name of the school in the address, so I'd guess that he/she would only receive and read them emails when at the school? thats the only alternative I can think of

ReputationRep:
      Hmmm OP this suggestion may seem a little weird - but nowdays nearly everyone is on facebook (or some such similiarsocial networking site) ...even teachers , so at the risk of encouraging stalker-ish behaviour - you could try hunting them down on there?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anoodles)
      Hmmm OP this suggestion may seem a little weird - but nowdays nearly everyone is on facebook (or some such similiarsocial networking site) ...even teachers , so at the risk of encouraging stalker-ish behaviour - you could try hunting them down on there?
      Tried it lol no luck

ReputationRep:

This is utter nonsense of course if you think about it for a minute.
      Consider a hypothetical 100 places at university X.
      By Christmas they have offered 25 places out.
      In January they receive applications from 90 candidates who are all better candidates than the 25 offers given out already. They only have 75 places left.
      The uni cannot rescind the offers made nor make more than 100 offers in total.
      Getting applications in early is obviously beneficial.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anoodles)
      Garbage.
      Over 25% of households still don't have internet access.
      source
      http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=8

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
      In January they receive applications from 90 candidates who are all better candidates than the 25 offers given out already. They only have 75 places left.
      No its not utter nonsense. As long as applications are in before the deadline, universities consider all candidates equally. Just because they've given offers already doesn't mean they're going to run out of places; they have previous years' data and probably only give earlier offers to people they're sure they're going to give an offer to anyway, regardless of application date. Think about it this way: what would be the point in a deadline if it did in fact turn out that you were going to be penalised for not having your application in earlier? If what you're saying is true, people would realise from previous years that people applying closer to the deadline didn't get offers, and literally everyone would have their application in during September or something. This doesn't happen does it?

I know people who applied around this time last year and got four unconditionals. It doesn't matter since the only people who get offers early are those that universities know they'd give an offer to anyway because they're that good - they have a set amount of offers they can give out before the deadline, but that doesn't mean you're disadvantaged.

If you still don't believe me, ask practically anyone else on this forum about this and you'll quickly find you're misinformed. In the meantime, don't go around this place scaring everyone into rushing applications and sending something worse than what they're capable of. As long as you meet the 15th of January deadline, you're fine.

ReputationRep:
      No its not utter nonsense. As long as applications are in before the deadline, universities consider all candidates equally. Just because they've given offers already doesn't mean they're going to run out of places; they have previous years' data and probably only give earlier offers to people they're sure they're going to give an offer to anyway, regardless of application date. Think about it this way: what would be the point in a deadline if it did in fact turn out that you were going to be penalised for not having your application in earlier? If what you're saying is true, people would realise from previous years that people applying closer to the deadline didn't get offers, and literally everyone would have their application in during September or something. This doesn't happen does it?

I know people who applied around this time last year and got four unconditionals. It doesn't matter since the only people who get offers early are those that universities know they'd give an offer to anyway because they're that good - they have a set amount of offers they can give out before the deadline, but that doesn't mean you're disadvantaged.

If you still don't believe me, ask practically anyone else on this forum about this and you'll quickly find you're misinformed. In the meantime, don't go around this place scaring everyone into rushing applications and sending something worse than what they're capable of. As long as you meet the 15th of January deadline, you're fine.
      FAIL

If everyone is given equal consideration how come offers go out before all applications are in?
      Your analysis was correct when unis could give out more offers than places and get the extra places funded. Now they are severely fined for going over their allocated quota.
      Stop misinforming people that delaying applying doesn't matter. It obviously does.

ReputationRep:
      Garbage.
      Over 25% of households still don't have internet access.
      source
      http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=8
      So 75% do. I think 75% qualifies as nearly everyone tbh.

Especially considering the age skew of internet users.

ReputationRep:

FAIL

If everyone is given equal consideration how come offers go out before all applications are in?
      Your analysis was correct when unis could give out more offers than places and get the extra places funded. Now they are severely fined for going over their allocated quota.
      You say
      people would realise from previous years that people applying closer to the deadline didn't get offers, and literally everyone would have their application in during September or something. This doesn't happen does it?

Given your stupidly extreme example I don't know. But whether there are fewer offers after the deadline I don't know. And you know what, neither do you. Have you ever analysed UCAS data? I don't think so and anecdotal evidence is no evidence.
      Stop misinforming people that delaying applying doesn't matter. It obviously does.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
      So 75% do. I think 75% qualifies as nearly everyone tbh.

Especially considering the age skew of internet users.
      You mean like middle aged teachers?
      LOL

ReputationRep:

FAIL

But they give out rejections before the deadline as well? Surely this means they reject less people later on, so you have a higher chance of getting an offer! :woo:

Universities do give out more offers than they have places. They have to account for people putting it as their insurance, or declining the offer, or not meeting the offer. They have a lot of experience in giving out the right number of offers to fill their courses without going over their quota.

As long as you are before the deadline, applying later does NOT reduce your chances of an offer.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.