Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever done an essay for them?
    It is from the RSC and I was just wondering do you think it is worth doing and is anyone planning on doing it for 2011?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to do economics for A level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!)
    Do you have to do economics for A level?
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    But I guess it helps if you are going to try to write like an economist?

I'm going to have an attempt this year. Would be great to get a merit.

(Original post by SPMS)
    Has anyone ever done an essay for them?
    It is from the RSC and I was just wondering do you think it is worth doing and is anyone planning on doing it for 2011?
    I did it last year and managed to get into the final 17. Would definitely recommend it for the enjoyment as much as the prestige - I did an essay on the economics of inequality and found researching a topic I knew very little about really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    My economics teacher mentioned something about some EPQ thing a while ago... is this similar? Whats it all about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orichalon)
    I did it last year and managed to get into the final 17. Would definitely recommend it for the enjoyment as much as the prestige - I did an essay on the economics of inequality and found researching a topic I knew very little about really interesting.
    What are the rules for eligibility. I mean, do you still have to be at school, under 18 or anything?

ReputationRep:
    I just read the winning entry for the 2010 competition. I must say I wasn't really that impressed with it, to be perfectly honest. It just seemed to be written in a rather informal, story-like style... not really what I would say an economics essay should be like. There weren't even any diagrams/models (my teacher would probably beat me senseless for missing them out!)

http://www.res.org.uk/society/ye_award_2010.asp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Zephyr-)
    I just read the winning entry for the 2010 competition. I must say I wasn't really that impressed with it, to be perfectly honest. It just seemed to be written in a rather informal, story-like style... not really what I would say an economics essay should be like. There weren't even any diagrams/models (my teacher would probably beat me senseless for missing them out!)

Yeah, I know I just checked that essay out... no offence to the girl who wrote it but it was totall b*******! It wasn't economics related at all! It wasn't even an essay!

ReputationRep:
    When do we know what the questions are? or do we already?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larriant)
    When do we know what the questions are? or do we already?

Thanks
    The website says they're going to announce the next competition in early 2011.

(Original post by -Zephyr-)

It's not a school essay; the main advantage of the competition is that it lets you write an essay without the shackles of the exam syllabus. I suspect the main reason it won is that it's both original and well written, and, let us not forget, many of Keynes' essays had no diagrams/models.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is there a website for the details of the competition? Do you know what sort of time they release the details for it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I thought that was an impressive essay, she covers all the relevant topics, this sort of competition is good because it frees students from the shackles of a syllabus....ask 6 formers to answer a question on an economic problem and 9 times out of 10 they will just churn out the default standard response to tick the boxes on the A level syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the topics are up. Any ideas on which one to do? I think most will do China one - so perhaps I may do a different one to stand out slightly?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TroTro)
    Ok, the topics are up. Any ideas on which one to do? I think most will do China one - so perhaps I may do a different one to stand out slightly?
    Have you got the link?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.res.org.uk/society/youngeconomist.asp

Which topic are you guys gonna do?

ReputationRep:
    Which one is everyone looking at?

I'm thinking the fat tax would be a good one, similar to last years Alcohol one.

Also the China one
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Looks like fat tax for me, I think everyone will pick the china one

ReputationRep:
    I'd guess the china and the fat tax one will be the most popular. I'm going for the growth and happiness one, as I think it is the most interesting. Have you guys started yours yet?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.