Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I choose the hardest degree course as a challenge? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Trs I have a dilem!
    I love the Uni, but the dilema is the course!
    See theres a lot of emphasis on Data analysis and technology, both of which I hate!
    It is best to go for the easist course because I will do better in it, hopefully get a 2.1?
    Of course I respect both aspects of the course, they are crucial for the future and my employability!
    Generally, In life should we always choose the hard way in the short term as it will have long term benefits.
    Its a really good Uni and an amazing course, as a high achiever should I trust myself to just slog it out anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Choose the course that interests you the most you fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun1991)
    This

ReputationRep:
    What if the most interesteing course is at the lowest ranked Uni and has a poor employment record? aha
    And what if its somewhere you dont see yourself...

(Original post by asdaprice*)
      What if the most interesteing course is at the lowest ranked Uni and has a poor employment record? aha
      What degree and what university? (Just out of interest).

ReputationRep:
      Don't do it, you wont enjoy it and will probably fail, trust me.

ReputationRep:
      Don't do it, you wont enjoy it and will probably fail, trust me.
      Ill hate it because of the bad Uni choice, even if the course is amazing? So the course is not the most important thing. Its the Uni?!
      Talk about Contradikshunzz mandem!

ReputationRep:
      Ill hate it because of the bad Uni choice, even if the course is amazing? So the course is not the most important thing. Its the Uni?!
      Talk about Contradikshunzz mandem!
      What I'm trying to say is, don't do a course based on employment prospects / average graduate salary, regardless of what it is or where it is. Do a course because you enjoy it, otherwise you will have 3 years + of boredom, and probably failure, if not failure, a lifetime of boredom.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      What degree and what university? (Just out of interest).
      Lol np. International Marketing with a year in frc/ spain
      Sick uni, sick prospects, slightly sickening feeling when I look at some of the compulsory modules :eek:
      Digital Marketing and Data driven analytical marketing...WTF!
      Furthermore, any advice? x

ReputationRep:
      Trs I have a dilem!
      I love the Uni, but the dilema is the course!
      See theres a lot of emphasis on Data analysis and technology, both of which I hate!
      It is best to go for the easist course because I will do better in it, hopefully get a 2.1?
      Of course I respect both aspects of the course, they are crucial for the future and my employability!
      Generally, In life should we always choose the hard way in the short term as it will have long term benefits.
      Its a really good Uni and an amazing course, as a high achiever should I trust myself to just slog it out anyway?
      That's kind of an odd philosophy taken at face value, but I know what you mean. However, you have to be careful. For example, say you could choose between maths at Cambridge and maths at some other fairly decent uni. The former would be harder, but for the sake of job applications, if you are only going to get a 2.2 or 3rd, it is better to take the latter if you can score a 2.1 or higher.

ReputationRep:
      Go to the university that will make you happiest and also do the course that will make you happiest. There will be some modules in all courses that students find daunting but if you find help when appropriate and work your hardest then surely its passable?

ReputationRep:
      You'd better don't choose the your course according to the name and the ranking on the university, but by talking to recent graduates.

I am student of MSc Digital Marketing at the University of Southampton and I can tell you I'm really disappointed, although it should be in top 20 according to the rankings.

The reason is that I simply don't study almost any modules directly related to digital marketing !!!

These are requirements for different jobs in Digital marketing

• Management of online advertising campaigns ( PPC, SEO, Affiliate )
      • Webdesign using Adobe Dreamweaver and Adobe Photoshop
      • SEO ( Search engine optimisation ), Keyword and business research
      • Development of front end web interface to provide the best and most profitable experience for customers
      • Social network management, copywriting and videos
      • Analytical reporting on the online campaigns
      • SEM ( Search engine marketing )
      • PR and online reputation management
      • Management of web database, CMS and dashboards
      • HTML, CSS, Javascript
      • Managing Google Adwords and Google Analytics

In the modules, maybe 5 percent of these issues were explained and they were not even explained in depth, so I don't understand, why the programme is called Digital marketing and not just Marketing.

Actually, you can study either Marketing Management, Digital Marketing and Marketing Analytics at the University. All have some modules in common, so they are not very specific ( the most specific is Marketing Analytics ). Marketing management is the most easiest and the most general. The other programmes are more difficult, but Digital Marketing is still mainly concerned with Strategic Marketing, rather than Digital Marketing.

Let's look at the modules for MSc. Digital Marketing written in programme information brochure and their relation to the previous skills and therefore usability in Digital Marketing

Web Applications (start) - related and useful, but was cancelled due to unknown reasons, so there was no preparation for main Web Application module
      Introduction to Marketing - interesting, maybe useful as an introduction, but not explained in depth as it was just an introductory module
      Report Writing Skills - useful, but reports were not related to Digital Marketing
      Essay Writing Skills - useful for studies, but not related
      Presentation Skills - useful skill, but unrelated to Digital Marketing
      Consumer Insight - unrelated
      Digital Marketing - the best subject so far and core module with really good teachers ( L. Harris, P. Harrigan, M. Lister ), however it was just like an introduction to the Digital Marketing and there was not enough time to explain the issues thoroughly
      Data driven marketing - related to IT and data mining, useful, but not for Digital Marketers (apart from testing of websites)
      Marketing Communications and Media Management - useful for marketers, but not related to Digital Marketing, B. Hulbert is n amazing teacher with a lot of experience and the creating of campaign was interesting, but as I said it was concerned more with traditional marketing
      The next modules for studies are:
      Information Systems Strategy - related to IT Management and not really related to Digital Marketing, too much theory, "create groups yourselves, I'm not gonna help you with it" attitude of male teacher
      Strategic Marketing Intelligence - abolutely not related to Digital Marketing, sometimes related to the traditional marketing, sometimes just related to the research, I am very understanding person, but I don't like persons talking to others from the position of "God". Why should I read 20 books about Marketing (or general) research, when I don't need it as a digital marketer and I have to focus on skills required in jobs for Digital Marketing
      Strategic Marketing Decisions - the core module !!! interesting, but not related to Digital Marketing
      Web Applications - useful and related, but not enough time for explanation, HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP can't just be learned in few sessions (during 2 months)
      Negotiation Skills - useful, but not related to Digital Marketing
      Web Analytics - useful, interesting and related to Digital Marketing

As you can see now, only 3 ( 4 with the cancelled module ) out of 14 modules are directly related to Digital Marketing and they still don't explain the issues in depth needed for a job in Digital Marketing. Now, why are we paying more than 12 000 pounds (UK students pay half of it), when the Masters studies can't prepare us for our future job in Digital Marketing. The modules are shared with students of different programmes, so they are not related to real requirements in jobs for Digital Marketing and I am asking, what's the reason to study modules, which is not required in jobs concerned with digital marketing?

Now, we are in the second semester and many students either don't care about the requirements for jobs in Digital Marketing or are afraid to say this loudly because of potential consequences, they would have to bear in case some teachers would disagree with their opinion. However, I don't think the university is a winner, because it just took the fees and didn't give us sufficient amount of usable knowledge. Negative word of mouth and reputation ( after students will find out the real requirements in business ) will not be beneficial for the university in the future, nor will have a positive impact on the ranking of university.

This may sound like a revenge, but it is just a sad and sincere opinion resulting from the experience of studying at the University of Southampton. I was expecting studies concerned with Digital Marketing, which would be not just explained much more in detail, but preparing us for a future job by teaching all the skills mentioned above. As I said, L. Harris, P. Harrigan and M. Lister are great teachers, who have knowledge and also experience with Digital Marketing, but the university could utilize them much more in the real modules that would be concerned with Digital Marketing.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by victorianaling)
      You'd better don't choose the your course according to the name and the ranking on the university, but by talking to recent graduates.

I am student of MSc. Digital Marketing at the University of Southampton and I can tell you I'm really disappointed, although it should be in top 20 according to the rankings.

The reason is that I simply don't study almost any modules directly related to digital marketing !!!
      Wow! I mean thanks for being so helpful about all the modules, but im applying for the more general undergrad degree Bsc in International Marketing, and im not interested in doing a masters, just yet! I havnt even visited the university!
      Im so sorry about youre experience, on the plus side, a masters from soton is a masters from soton...?
      Can I ask what are the real world business requirements? x

ReputationRep:
      Wow! I mean thanks for being so helpful about all the modules, but im applying for the more general undergrad degree Bsc in International Marketing, and im not interested in doing a masters, just yet! I havnt even visited the university!
      Im so sorry about youre experience, on the plus side, a masters from soton is a masters from soton...?
      Can I ask what are the real world business requirements? x
      I have mentioned all the requirements for jobs in Digital marketing in my previous post, so you can look at them

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.