Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the difference between Imperialism and Colonialism? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am new to studying history and I am finding some of the definitions very difficult to understand. I have looked up the definition of imperialism and colonialism, and I cannot seem to understand how they differ. From the text that i am studying the author has stated , with almost no detail. That the two are separate processes. Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REEPER)
    Hi, I am new to studying history and I am finding some of the definitions very difficult to understand. I have looked up the definition of imperialism and colonialism, and I cannot seem to understand how they differ. From the text that i am studying the author has stated , with almost no detail. That the two are separate processes. Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks
    I would say that imperialism would be used more when talking about actually setting out to acquire a territory, whereas colonialism is more to do with what a country does once it has control of another territory (colony).

ReputationRep:
    imperialism= influencing the internal affairs of another country through coercion.

colonialism= formally annexing a territory, establishing government over the annexed territory or promoting settlement to that territory.

ReputationRep:
    From OED:

Imperialism:
    - a policy of extending a country's power and influence through colonization, use of military force, or other means
    - (chiefly historical) rule by an emperor

Colonialism:
    - the policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically.

So they are similar and inter-related but there's a slight difference (especially if you use the historical meaning of imperialism )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.