Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should we follow this lead to stop the fee rise??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    came across this on the BBC website...

I reckon if we did this in england, the fee rise would stop, hell we might even be able to get free uni education due to all the closures etc...and you also stop the whole argument of devalueing degrees/ too many going to uni etc...

what do you think....discuss

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12057890

ReputationRep:
    Without trying to be funny, you might be better to try posting this in the day time. TSR activity seems pretty low at this hour.

However in the mean time, I personally would be skeptical. But that goes with the belief that university shouldn't be free.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but then which uni's would take the bullet? i mean every uni has a valid case for staying afloat so to speak...

...The best thing is to smash up the treasury and burn effigies of Clegg/Cameron imho.

ReputationRep:
    bumpasaurus rex

ReputationRep:
    Yea ok lets just close all the pyrotechnics.... bye bye Derby, Sheffield Hallam etc. Merging them I wouldn't mind but still shouldn't give the tory's any le-way cause they will exploit it

(Original post by Philster07)
      Yea ok lets just close all the pyrotechnics.... bye bye Derby, Sheffield Hallam etc. Merging them I wouldn't mind but still shouldn't give the tory's any le-way cause they will exploit it
      Polytechnics. (Pyrotechnics essentially means the science of fireworks).

OP, even if we were to close down universities, it just wouldn't be enough to stop the fee rise. (Oh and read the actual proposals and you'll see it won't disadvantage the working nor the middle classes).

ReputationRep:
      im big anti-tution fees supporter, however if the choice was between closing uni and paying the fees id go with the fees. Personnally i think the cuts should be coming from elsewhere

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)

OP, even if we were to close down universities, it just wouldn't be enough to stop the fee rise. (Oh and read the actual proposals and you'll see it won't disadvantage the working nor the middle classes).
      why not?......if we are no longer paying for 200 unis, but 100....you can double the funding each uni/student gets and thus eradicate the fees or at least lessen them and improve the unis....

and I didn't mention anything about it disadvantaging anyone....

(Original post by brokenangel)
        im big anti-tution fees supporter, however if the choice was between closing uni and paying the fees id go with the fees. Personnally i think the cuts should be coming from elsewhere
        Well, what do you propose?

Cuts are pretty much happening throughout all departments.

ReputationRep:
        where do you think the cuts should be coming from then?

perhaps stopping certain courses?

and this isn;t between closure and fees....most of the "closed" unis would simply merge with other ones...

so you would only have 1 manchester, 1 nottingham, 1 southampton etc.

eg. not more nottingham and nottingham trent....they merge, as would soton and soton solent etc. etc.

(Original post by infernalcradle)
          why not?......if we are no longer paying for 200 unis, but 100....you can double the funding each uni/student gets and thus eradicate the fees or at least lessen them and improve the unis....

and I didn't mention anything about it disadvantaging anyone....
          It would be a nice solution, yes, but the lower-ranking universities that you imply offer courses not offered by the other institution and are therefore tailored to a different audience.

Sure, we can get rid of Mickey Mouse courses - but it is just far more practical for the government to just up the cost of tuition fees.

No, you did not specifically mention about it disadvantaging anyone, but it begs the question - why are you against the fees hike?

ReputationRep:

What the hell have you been posting to get so many red gems? Bliiimey!

and this isn;t between closure and fees....most of the "closed" unis would simply merge with other ones...

eg. not more nottingham and nottingham trent....they merge, as would soton and soton solent etc. etc.
            Yes, it is so easy to merge universities together. :rolleyes:

Also, the University of Manchester is already a "merged" university (from just 2004) between UMIST and Victoria.

You really think the University of Manchester will be merging with "Man Met" any time soon, especially considering it already has 40,000 students already? If those universities were to merge it would have a total of 73,000 students and therefore student satisfaction would significantly decline.

It's not something that can be done overnight.

ReputationRep:
            Yes, it is so easy to merge universities together. :rolleyes:

Also, the University of Manchester is already a "merged" university (from just 2004) between UMIST and Victoria.

You really think the University of Manchester will be merging with "Man Met" any time soon, especially considering it already has 40,000 students already? If those universities were to merge it would have a total of 73,000 students and therefore student satisfaction would significantly decline.

It's not something that can be done overnight.
            Sorry gotta agree with im so aca!..
            Imagine the class sizes?...even if you raised entry standards..it wouldnt change the situation that much..

Also as im so Aca said, some unis at the bottom offer fantastic teaching courses, something that the unis at the top dont offer.
            Also, what would happen to all the employees of the Unis?..you'd be making an awful lot of educated people unemployed, and then think how much the various Unis offer in terms of contributions to the local economy and jobs etc..its not as simple as you think it is

(Original post by jakemittle)
              Sorry gotta agree with im so aca!..
              Imagine the class sizes?...even if you raised entry standards..it wouldnt change the situation that much..

Also as im so Aca said, some unis at the bottom offer fantastic teaching courses, something that the unis at the top dont offer.
              Also, what would happen to all the employees of the Unis?..you'd be making an awful lot of educated people unemployed, and then think how much the various Unis offer in terms of contributions to the local economy and jobs etc..its not as simple as you think it is
              Thanks for agreeing with me. I often wonder if the solution is to simply shut down the ex-polytechnic universities and in pragmatic terms, it just would not be feasible.

The suggestion of merging is highly abhorrent, and it is evident that universities would rather increase tuition fees (and increase bursaries/grants) rather than "mix in" with the local university.

Would you close down the Central School for Speech and Drama just because it isn't the LSE? Yet it offers some of the finest performance and creative arts courses in this country?

What about the music conservatoires? Or is taking a career in music not "respected" because it doesn't lead to IB? :rolleyes:

Sure the university system could be better organised so that prospective students are not deluded into thinking that their Drama degree is of the same quality as one from a respected Drama school, but isn't that the same principle that a prospective student would rather study Maths at Cambridge than at the London Metropolitan?

Personally, I think the correct information should be given to prospective applicants from an early age so they are not in the mindset that "all degrees are the same", as it is simply a fact that some courses are more reputable and is of a better standard than others.

There is also the fact that not everyone wants to study at a "top university", which is fair enough, people have other aspirations and are not the "Oxbridge type". People may study at a "lesser" university, but their course may offer a work-placement, part-time study, good links with local businesses or are tailored to specific careers such as Optometry. Not all ex-poly courses are "****" especially not those that are accredited by the relevant awarding body.

ReputationRep:
              Well, what do you propose?

Cuts are pretty much happening throughout all departments.

Im all for creating a situation where people can work themselves out of poverty there i would go for education, job creation & health (healthy work force is more productive) making cuts in areas such as prisons (cut sentance for minor crimes such as non-violent property etc), certin wealthfare benefits, cost of social housing in terms of private rents.

Id also go for initiatives such as reopening of coal mines, factories using the long term unemployed where they work for their benefits therefore producing an income for the country partly off setting the cost to the tax payer of their benefits.

Im all for creating a situation where people can work themselves out of poverty there i would go for education,
                You do know that people can part-time study with a loan right? Or even work whilst doing Open University modules?

Id also go for initiatives such as reopening of coal mines,
                Good luck with that. :rolleyes: We, apparently, have to cut down on CO2 emissions so I can't really see that happening.

factories using the long term unemployed where they work for their benefits therefore producing an income for the country partly off setting the cost to the tax payer of their benefits.
                Jobs can't be created overnight, neither can factories. Whether it would actually work in the long term and save the government money - we really do not know. Though, I'm highly supportive of the workfare principle if it actually benefits (no pun intended) the government and the public.

ReputationRep:
                came across this on the BBC website...

I reckon if we did this in england, the fee rise would stop, hell we might even be able to get free uni education due to all the closures etc...and you also stop the whole argument of devalueing degrees/ too many going to uni etc...

what do you think....discuss

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12057890
                I think we should be having higher fee's.

IM INSANE, RIGHT!?

ReputationRep:
                It would be a nice solution, yes, but the lower-ranking universities that you imply offer courses not offered by the other institution and are therefore tailored to a different audience.

Sure, we can get rid of Mickey Mouse courses - but it is just far more practical for the government to just up the cost of tuition fees.

No, you did not specifically mention about it disadvantaging anyone, but it begs the question - why are you against the fees hike?
                I'm not against the fee hike, I'm actually for it....cos it will stop all the idiots doing mickey mouse degrees at crap unis

I'm not against the fee hike, I'm actually for it....cos it will stop all the idiots doing mickey mouse degrees at crap unis
                  So what is the point of this thread then? :lolwut:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
                What newspaper do you read/prefer?
                Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
              • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
                Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.