Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

Im in my second year at Anglia Ruskin University studying Business Economics and predicted a 1st overall when i graduate, however i was wondering what are my chances of getting into Investment Banking? I'v read on the forum the banks only really look at 'the big 5' so do you honestly think i have any chance?

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyze)
    Hello guys,

Im in my second year at Anglia Ruskin University studying Business Economics and predicted a 1st overall when i graduate, however i was wondering what are my chances of getting into Investment Banking? I'v read on the forum the banks only really look at 'the big 5' so do you honestly think i have any chance?

Many Thanks
    You'll need to do something spectacular.

ReputationRep:
    You have A chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyze)
    Hello guys,

Many Thanks
    If you want to do it, go for it, but you need to make your application stand out. Get to know people, show you're not 1-dimensional, get some experience prior to applying, if that's possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyze)
    Hello guys,

Many Thanks
    You can try

But I work for an investment bank, I can tell you your chances are very very slim.

Even if you get a Double First it would be worth less than a 2:1 from Oxbridge or elsewhere.

These days no matter how well written your resume is, it would never get past a filter program most of the big banks use to filter applications. The software will read your resume, it can extract what you have written and match it automatically against what the bank wants. 3000 electronic applications can be processed within 20 mins to pick out the 10 best to interview. There isn't an actual person to read it either.

The hiring manager however will read the 10 best applications based on what the software presents. Different bank have different settings to these programs, some would list the universities required, some would list the standings and some can even do a quota of ratio of how many males to females applicants they want to interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyze)
    Hello guys,

Many Thanks
    I don't think you have a very good chance. I'm not basing that on the fact that you're at Anglia Ruskin, but rather the fact that you would ask a question like that in a forum like this.

You say you're studying Business Economics, surely you could ask your lecturers or people who actually know you whether or not you stand a good chance at landing a job in an investment bank?

ReputationRep:
    Would it not be possible for him to work his arse off for 3 years, get onto an MBA, and then get into IB as an associate?

ReputationRep:
    He won't pass the initial A level (UCAS points) filter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyze)
    Hello guys,

Many Thanks
    OP a lot of people in this thread are being overly negative.

When you apply you have to do online tests, if you do well in these then you should be able to get interviewed as long as you have submitted a decent application.

The reason why very few people from universities like Anglia Ruskin get into IB is because they aren't academic enough. Nevertheless some very academic people go to less decent universities for a variety of reasons: some are staying at home and looking after a sick relative, others just can't afford it even with the generous grants etc

Firms want the best and brightest regardless of where they went to university and you are given ample opportunity to prove yourself in the online tests and applications. If these are good then you will be called for interview/ more assessments and you can stand out there if good enough.

I have to say that given the university you go to I doubt you have the natural aptitude to excel in IB, but nevertheless banks will give you the opportunity to prove yourself just like everyone else.

So if you truly believe you're up to it then you should go for it. You may well be deluding yourself, certainly if your A levels were bad without any extenuating circumstances, then you probably are, but nevertheless if by some chance you are not deluded and you went there for personal reasons/ due to extenuating circumstances which you do not even have to reveal, then if you are good enough you stand a chance of getting into banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    He won't pass the initial A level (UCAS points) filter...
    Contrary to popular belief, ARU is not filled with morons.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Contrary to popular belief, ARU is not filled with morons.
    No one said anything about you guys being morons, he just said he wouldn't get past auto filters which generally is correct for most of your uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    No one said anything about you guys being morons, he just said he wouldn't get past auto filters which generally is correct for most of your uni.
    Didn't take it to mean 'us guys', just that simply attending a low-ranking uni doesn't mean someone didn't get good A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't take it to mean 'us guys', just that simply attending a low-ranking uni doesn't mean someone didn't get good A-levels.
    It usually does though, doesn't it?

Being realistic :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes but the average tariff is 250, which is equivalent to BCC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AskMeAnything)
    It usually does though, doesn't it?

Being realistic :P
    Usually, yes ... but you can't say for certain that OP doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but the average tariff is 250, which is equivalent to BCC.
    But considering the entry requirements are 200, that means that there will also be people with higher grades.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    But considering the entry requirements are 200, that means that there will also be people with higher grades.
    Yes but most probably aren't, most wouldn't get past auto filter as most probably don't have 300 ucas points.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but most probably aren't, most wouldn't get past auto filter as most probably don't have 300 ucas points.
    Ah, but the post I quoted didn't say most, it said OP definitely wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    have you applied for any IB internships?

ReputationRep:
    Anglia Ruskin is in Cambridge right? And loads of IBs recruit from around there, so they're bound to end up recruiting a few Anglia Ruskiners! Go for it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.