Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever made a Uni decision based on a crush/friend? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anybody had ever decided to go to a uni just because somebody they really liked went there, and if so, how did that work out for you?

ReputationRep:
    My brother and one of my really good friends (im on a gap year) are at Manchester. I didn't apply there because of them but it's doesn't hurt that they are there!

ReputationRep:
    If so, they're a looooooooser.

ReputationRep:
    No, and I don't think I ever would. Imagine if you chose to go to London met because you fancied someone there? You'd have to live with that decision for 3 years of your life. You'd be screaming kill me now after 1 month. FML.

ReputationRep:
    but let's say it was already one of your choices?

ReputationRep:
    Ah hell no if you're going there chasing someone you like recently met or whatever... what are you, stupid?!

BUT if it was one of your choices anyway and the whole thing was a coincidence sure.

Also if it was because a brother/sister or another family member was there and they were having a good time and such, at least you'd know someone already and that might help make the transition easier so sure - in that situation, yes. But like I said if you're going to make that decision to chase someone you met recently and you're serious and you do it I think you're an idiot. That is all!

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty ridiculous tbh.

ReputationRep:
    No, cos I'm not a ****ing idiot

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Only if it was between evenly matched unis.

ReputationRep:
    No.

However, when I was picking my Standard Grades I chose physics over biology to be in the same class as someone I liked But it was all good, it ended up being my favourite subject and after finding out how much I enjoyed it I continued it to higher and ah and now I'm at uni studying engineering :^_^: But yeah, uni choice is far more important than SG/GCSE subject choices... Besides, I was like 13 or something..

ReputationRep:
    Yes....But that was when I was younger I think I picked GCSE French over Spanish....that was it...lol

Now that I've moved on from a puberty stage, I did my UCAS properly

ReputationRep:
    No cos I'm not dumb, driven by out of control emotions and or obsessed with a girl that went to a certain Uni

Say even if it's to go be with your best friend forever at the same uni, that'll be aaawesome and I can't say I wouldn't consider it but Uni's an adult place, you really mature and grow up so quickly - You don't know may or may not change so picking a Uni specifically for a certain person or friend is one of the most immature decisions you can possibly make

I'd like to say it's cool and everything and if it's to be with your long term partner then do it but with the thought of good advice ni mind I can't, relationships definetely aren't guaranteed in Uni either xD

ReputationRep:
    No, the complete opposite in fact. I deliberately chose somewhere I didn't know anyone else going. (although it ended up that one person I knew does go there, but I don't ever see her, and I didn't know at the time)

ReputationRep:
    Well that would be incredibly stupid

Considering how lonely it's been, I wish I had.

ReputationRep:
    imagine this.... grenades, grenades everywhere.

i'm going to the uni situated in the city with the least grenades.

ReputationRep:
    I almost completely ruled out applying to Nottingham for Engineering because this guy at school who is possibly the most irritating person I have have ever met told me he is applying. I applied anyway though in the hope he won't make the offer (as harsh as that sounds I really can't stand being around him for longer than 10 minutes)

It also gives me a nice incentive to work hard to get into durham

ReputationRep:
    Well...at the end of year 12, I was kinda certain about which course I want to do at uni.
    I did research etc etc. Nottingham seems to be my favourite.
    Then I got with someone, he is in the year above me.
    Found out he has firmed Nottingham. ¬_¬

Now pretty much everyone think I'm going there because of him.
    Even though we were together for like a year and I visited loads and there are like 6 uni that do my course.
    >,>

And now he is at my dream uni which make me want to go somewhere else ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is currently at uni in Cardiff, and I've applied to universities in the South, too. However, I've always wanted to stay in Wales to go to uni, and I've always loved the places I've applied to, so he's not the only reason I've chosen to study in the South. He is definitely a big part of it though but I'm very happy with my choices, I don't feel like I've been pressured to choose universities that are near to him. Also, the South is quite a large area, so I had a lot of choice when I chose universities that are near to him... it might have been different if he'd gone to a really rural university.

I'd never apply to the same university as a crush, though... that's kind of stalking lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.