Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi guys,

Well for the past few days I have had a burning sensation when weeing, also I feel like I need to urinate when nothing barely comes out.
    My urine is smelly and cloudy in the morning. I presume this is due to lack of fluid overnight. But sometimes there's blood in it. a little watery stuff. I'm female btw.

I thought it may be thrush be now i'm leaning towards a uti.
    The only problem is I can't get a dr's appointment until new year.
    Anyone got any suggestions other than to drink loads of water? I'm going away stupidly in a little while.

ReputationRep:
    Drink lots of cranberry juice. Although that's for Kidney stones, but might as well try it?

ReputationRep:
    Can you not see someone in a hospital? I'm not clued up on how hospitals work exactly, but I would of thought you could see someone about it if you waited long enough.

Thanks about cranberry juice idea, did hear about that and water.
    And i'm going away for xmas so sadly i won't be able to get to a hospital.

ReputationRep:
    You mean there's no hospital near where you're going who have an A&E department? Hmmm to be honest I would just go to one NOW to be safe and I'd certainly consider avoiding alcohol over Christmas/New Year in the event that you can't get checked out before.

Nope and even then you'd have to get an appointment. I should know i'm a student nurse. I'd be lucky to be seen today.

ReputationRep:
    Cranberry juice is a diuretic so it'll make you want to pee a lot and i guess, flush out all the toxins. Drink lots and lots of water

try this out http://symptoms.webmd.com/symptomchecker It could be something worse so I think you should try your best to get an appointment.

ReputationRep:
    I had a UTI this term at university, and I went to the pharmacist and bought over-the-counter treatment which worked well! Just look for any 'cystitis relief' sachets~ you dissolve them in a glass of water, drink 'em up and it'll hopefully help to clear it up. If there's blood in your urine then the doctor would probably give you a short course of antibiotics, so see them as soon as you can even if you do clear it up with the sachets just to make sure you don't need this! Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    How the hell can you not get an appointment in 2 weeks even with christmas?

If you can't do GP, Walk in centre? A&E?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks about cranberry juice idea, did hear about that and water.
    And i'm going away for xmas so sadly i won't be able to get to a hospital.
    I think I had a UTI last year when I was a music festival (obviously no hospitals) etc etc, I had exactly the same symptoms as you, needed to pee lots but when I went nothing was really coming out and it really hurt. Also had a little blood in my urine. I drank a hell of a lot of water, ate lots of fruit, and also refrained from sexy times with my boyfriend it all cleared up within a couple of days...

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell said you can't go to the hospital!? You could maybe go there before you go home if you want all of this bleeding and all to stop.

ReputationRep:
    Why not ring NHS direct (or have a look round here http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/ ) if you're worried about it. I wouldn't go to A & E without calling NHS direct first I were you; they'll be ridiculously busy, and NHS direct will probably be able to tell you if it's something relatively minor that doesn't need you to go to A & E.
    There may also be an emergency GPs near you; this may be walk in or appointment only so you may need to phone up before you go.

I had a UTI quite recently, the fact sheet I was given said that cranberry juice may help to prevent UTIs but won't cure them, so drinking lots may not be a good idea if you do have one and it hurts to pee, as drinking more will just mean you pee more (although obviously stay adequately hydrated). If you don't have a UTI though, this may be completely the wrong advice (sorry).

ReputationRep:
    What the actual hell, to all those people suggesting A&E, Hospitals etc, ARE YOU MAD? Since when was cystitis an 'emergency'? People like you are a drain on the NHS preventing people with genuine pain from being seen promptly.

OP, just go to boots, get some cystitis relief, don't need a prescription. Should be fairly cheap. Drink LOTS of water, take antihistamines or painkillers if you are uncomfortable. Don't go to A&E.

When I had UTI, I was in so much pain I couldn't even move or do anything, how are you going on holiday for Christmas?? :O

What I did is go to the GP and he prescribed some Anti biotics and some UTI liquid painkiller.

I think you should drink alotttt of water, so you're forced to go to the toilet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    What the actual hell, to all those people suggesting A&E, Hospitals etc, ARE YOU MAD? Since when was cystitis an 'emergency'? People like you are a drain on the NHS preventing people with genuine pain from being seen promptly.

OP, just go to boots, get some cystitis relief, don't need a prescription. Should be fairly cheap. Drink LOTS of water, take antihistamines or painkillers if you are uncomfortable. Don't go to A&E.
    UTI's can be quite dangerous if left untreated. I went to a drop-in centre just by chance as I'd been having some pains in my side for a few days - turned out to be quite a severe UTI and he said if symptoms don't clear up within a few days, or they get worse, then go to A&E. And I didn't even have blood in my urine or anything, it was literally just the irritating pain on my lower left side!

I'm not saying the OP should go to A&E, I'm just saying A&E is sometimes a legit option!

OP - try the cystitis relief sachets from the pharmacy and PLENTY of fluids, but if it's doesn't clear you might need antibiotics.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.