The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

How respectable a university is Bristol, really?

I was always told that Bristol is where the "Oxbridge rejects" go. Is this true? I always thought it was an esteemed, respectable university, but I just read a thread where they kind of cast it aside, and said it wasn't as good as universities like Durham and Warwick. Plus, I remember looking at the League table a few months ago, and was surprised at how low down it was on the list. What do you think? I know places are highly competitive but is this a valid indication of its excellence? How would you rate it alongside other universities? Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jthlm
I was always told that Bristol is where the "Oxbridge rejects" go. Is this true? I always thought it was an esteemed, respectable university, but I just read a thread where they kind of cast it aside, and said it wasn't as good as universities like Durham and Warwick. Plus, I remember looking at the League table a few months ago, and was surprised at how low down it was on the list. What do you think? I know places are highly competitive but is this a valid indication of its excellence? How would you rate it alongside other universities? Thank you :smile:

That is often true which is why it's respected. Very high quality of students! It's comparable to Durham. Anyone comparing it to Warwick probably goes to Warwick. Not so good for arts, excellent for STEM subjects (was above Oxford in the league tables for my degree when I went).
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Never heard of it.
Reply 3
Original post by thisismycatch22
That is often true which is why it's respected. Very high quality of students! It's comparable to Durham. Anyone comparing it to Warwick probably goes to Warwick. Not so good for arts, excellent for STEM subjects (was above Oxford in the league tables for my degree when I went).

Is it better respected than Warwick for English? That's what OP (& myself hopefully) want to study.
Reply 4
If it's a Oxbridge rejects gathering uni, then it should be respected, no?
Original post by BookWormShanti
Is it better respected than Warwick for English? That's what OP (& myself hopefully) want to study.

no idea, sorry
It's good. Also, Oxbridge rejects surely means it's good?
all universities will have some kind of rep like 'all the oxbridge rejects go'

Bristol isn't the best uni in the world but it's certainly a very good one; and generally well respected place to study.
Reply 8
Original post by thisismycatch22

Bristol and Durham are not generally targeted by top graduate employers, Warwick often is.

Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick are the six best unis. Then a gap. Then Bristol and Durham.

I can only speak for finance and management consulting type jobs. Maybe it's different in other industries?
How much work do people actually do each week at Bristol or Durham?
Original post by jthlm

Piece of advice; IGNORE league tables, they aren't all that helpful due to their use of student satisfaction rates.

Bristol is an excellent university in general. On the English front I couldnt tell you how good it is in comparison to other unis though.
Bristol is 26th on the world rankings. So perhaps that says something?
Original post by The IC Guy
Bristol and Durham are not generally targeted by top graduate employers, Warwick often is.

Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick are the six best unis. Then a gap. Then Bristol and Durham.

I can only speak for finance and management consulting type jobs. Maybe it's different in other industries?

Then why even comment?

And yes, Bristol is a very good university..
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wilson_smith
Then why even comment?

And yes, Bristol is a very good university..

To give a perspective for people looking to go into these areas. Surely that's not too complicated for you to understand?

Of course Bristol is a good uni, it's just not considered to be as tough for maths/science based subjects.
I know this is totally unrelated but does anyone know where is considered to be excellent for History bar Oxbridge?
Reply 15
Original post by rabbitlover12
How much work do people actually do each week at Bristol or Durham?

Having studied at both I can confidently say that Durham is a far more pressured environment, a lot more like Oxbridge (pushy/heavy with work and attendance) than Bristol, where you are left entirely to get on with it yourself in most instances.

Both are great Universities, but it is true that the firms tend to target the London Unis and Warwick when looking beyond Oxbridge, which is mostly due to city prejudice, and not indicative of the strengths of said universities. Warwick is a paradise for banks/firms looking for quants, so it's no surprise they get a look in.
Reply 16
Original post by natashapt
I know this is totally unrelated but does anyone know where is considered to be excellent for History bar Oxbridge?

Durham is probably next on the list.
Reply 17

UCL?
Original post by looking
UCL?

Rejection from there ha. I applied to UCL, LSE, Cardiff, York and RHUL, all pretty respectable right?
Reply 19
Rejection from there ha. I applied to UCL, LSE, Cardiff, York and RHUL, all pretty respectable right?

definitely, I'd be v.happy to get a degree from any of those.

Latest