Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People always think that THEY have good taste. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny that everyone always believes themself to have the best taste in everything, be it clothes, music, films, games etc, they always believe that their opinions on something are the best opinions. I suppose it is because otherwise they wouldn't have these opinions I guess.

I find this ridiculous to think you have the best taste in EVERYTHING, I recognize that some of the stuff I like music wise is absolute crap, some sloppy sloppy grindcore with rubbish lyrics that serves no other purpose to nod your head to when your angry and pissed off. But then I always say that anyone who can't appreciate Dio-era Rainbow, or Pink Floyd just has a bad taste in music. Then I kind of realised that even if they don't like them, they should be able to recognize at least the musical talents these people had, and how influential they were to their respective genres.

Why are people so self centred that they always believe that their tastes in everything are always good? Just some random thing that came into my head in the shower. I always seem to do my best philosophy in the shower. Practically all my essay ideas come while having a showerlol, EXTREMELY off topic there.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, well that's because an opinion is a unique thing and we are all entitled to believe that our taste in things are better. There's no one to say we're right or wrong.

If you mean that some people aren't willing to accept that others have a different opinion then you'd be right, but you can't criticise people for having an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    If people can't convince themselves that their opinions are valuable, they go insane. Let them live in their own little world :nt:

ReputationRep:
    Because in the long run, your opinions matter, no one can have a better "taste" in anything at all since it's purely subjective discourse.

So it seems obvious the tastes that please "you" should be more important, and that you rightly exercise them in everything you do.

Get down from your pedestal..

ReputationRep:
    I rate my taste based on how I can relate to people I think are cool. For example, if I find someone that shares my taste in music, they're usually badasses. If I find someone that dresses like me (like a mod), they're bad asses. I can accept that on the video game front I'm lacking, but I don't really care.

So yeah, my taste > everyone elses (in my head lol)

ReputationRep:
    Because matters of subjective opinion give people licence to consider themselves the best, as it can not be proven otherwise.
    Everyone considers themselves the best if they possibly can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.