Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help me decide!! Samsung Galaxy S OR iPhone 4?!?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm stuck between the 2. I'm going to move to tesco mobile simply because their deals are like no others on the market and they borrow their network from O2 so not too worried.

It's between the Samsung Galaxy S or iPhone 4 16gb-

Samsung offers-
    24 month contract
    Handset price: £145.00
    £20 Tariff 24 Month Contract (500 minutes plus unlimited texts and unlimited data)

iPhone 4 16GB Black offers-
    12 month contract
    Handset price: £349.00
    £20 Tariff 12 Month iPhone Contract (250 minutes, unlimited texts , 1 GB mobile data and unlimited BT Openzone Wifi.)

I'm just stuck between the 2!! Ideally I'd love the iphone simply because I'm an apple fan and have an apple store nearby if anything goes wrong, they're really good with advice etc.
    I'm not too fussed about paying a high upfront fee as I have the money at the moment. However, with I don't like the fact that I don't get unlimited data as I would with the samsung contract! The 12 month contract is good, as I can then keep the phone, go on a cheaper sim only contract or sell/upgrade.
    I'm willing to give up the 'name' of the iphone and go to the samsung as it is supposed to be a really good phone and they offer me a lot for my money I think! (unlimited data and texts which i want, not too fussed on mins!) BUT its a 2yr contract which I don't like! Plus the samsung will go down ALOT in value, whereas the iphones don't go down so much..

soooo... what would you recommend?!?!

also, quick question.. with email, would that use a lot of my data?

EDIT- just checked and the 'unlimited' internet is actually 500mb!!!!! whaaaat?!! i mean i knew it wouldn't actually be unlimited but that's just a bit stingy... going with the iphone me thinks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdiana91)
    Right, I'm stuck between the 2. I'm going to move to tesco mobile simply because their deals are like no others on the market and they borrow their network from O2 so not too worried.

Samsung offers-
    24 month contract
    £20 Tariff 24 Month Contract (500 minutes plus unlimited texts and unlimited data)

12 month contract
    £20 Tariff 12 Month iPhone Contract (250 minutes, unlimited texts , 1 GB mobile data and unlimited BT Openzone Wifi.)

I'm just stuck between the 2!! Ideally I'd love the iphone simply because I'm an apple fan and have an apple store nearby if anything goes wrong, they're really good with advice etc.
    I'm not too fussed about paying a high upfront fee as I have the money at the moment. However, with I don't like the fact that I don't get unlimited data as I would with the samsung contract! The 12 month contract is good, as I can then keep the phone, go on a cheaper sim only contract or sell/upgrade.
    I'm willing to give up the 'name' of the iphone and go to the samsung as it is supposed to be a really good phone and they offer me a lot for my money I think! (unlimited data and texts which i want, not too fussed on mins!) BUT its a 2yr contract which I don't like! Plus the samsung will go down ALOT in value, whereas the iphones don't go down so much..

I have both... I never even turn my samsung galaxy on.

Definitely go with iPhone, even the older models of iPhone are much nicer to use (IMO) than galaxys.

I don't think I've ever come across someone who has bought an iPhone and later regretted it, whereas everyone I know with a galaxy later switched to iPhone.

And no it's super hard to use up all your data, the only time I ever come close is when I'm streaming television (tvcatchup.com = another reason to go with iPhone!)

ReputationRep:
    I have a Galaxy S. My friend played on mine and then she got it too. My mum had an iPhone 3GS and was about to upgrade to an iPhone 4, but then she played on mine and she too got the Galaxy S.

I'd go for the Galaxy S, it's a good phone, much cheaper and looks very stylish indeed. This has been my favourite phone by far, and I've had about 15 now. Although I'd definitely upgrade to a Galaxy S2 when it comes out.

I'd go with neither. The Nexus S has just been released, and if you want to be at the forefront of software updates than this is the phone to get.

I have the Nexus one and I was always at the front of the latest Android updates, with awesome additional with every update. Stay away from Apple, they're toys and have so many constraints you're always only doing what Apple want (and let) you to do.

ReputationRep:
      If money is no issue - iphone 4 - love mine, would never turn back

ReputationRep:
      Unlimited data is never unlimited.
      I don't like samsung phones and i'm not a fan of android much either so i can't give an opinion.
      I do have a iPhone 3G and i've just bought the iPhone 4 for myself.

ReputationRep:
      I doubt the internet for the samsung phone is actually unlimited.

ReputationRep:
      iphone 4 always lol

ReputationRep:
      http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i900...review-500.php

theres a full comparison.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by f00ddude)
      why wouldnt you get one of the Desires? best rated smart phones atm and cheaper than an iphone 4, the original being cheaper than the galaxy
      She wants a phone that lasts longer than a day?
      JK the desire phones are brilliant, i was going to get the Desire Z before i changed my mind and stuck with apple :cool:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DesignFreak)
      She wants a phone that lasts longer than a day?
      JK the desire phones are brilliant, i was going to get the Desire Z before i changed my mind and stuck with apple :cool:
      due to android 2.2 only the HD has serious battery problems, although it is terrible!
      if you got the money and just want a simple easy to use smart phone iphones are good tbh

ReputationRep:
      iPhone. You'll be much happier in Apple's warm bosom than in Google's cold, hard, metal one.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sdiana91)

Samsung offers-
      24 month contract

12 month contract

EDIT- just checked and the 'unlimited' internet is actually 500mb!!!!! whaaaat?!! i mean i knew it wouldn't actually be unlimited but that's just a bit stingy... going with the iphone me thinks!
      Hello, I definitely recommend you the iPhone 4. I am not a fan of Apple when it comes to iPhone/iPad, but other companies are so incompetent that Apple is regrettably the best in the market. I have seen a Samsung Galaxy in action and even if I ignore that fact that Android OS is just a copy of iOS, animations were incredibly slow and if I were to pay that much for a mobile phone, I would want it to run smoothly. The only major flaws of the iPhone 4 is the signal reception and absence of multitasking.

By the way, congratulations on your grocery carrier! (No offence intended.)

ReputationRep:
      3 are now offering true unlimited data to customers on the one plan........ just sayin....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
      3 are now offering true unlimited data to customers on the one plan........ just sayin....
      You have to have been a customer for a while beforehand in order to get onto that plan though, don't you?

ReputationRep:
      this is possibly the only answer on the mobile phone forum

I
      ****ing
      Phone

ReputationRep:
      The iPhone 4 does multitask now, although it's not brilliant multitasking xD

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
      You have to have been a customer for a while beforehand in order to get onto that plan though, don't you?
      Nope

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...obile-internet
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by f00ddude)
      due to android 2.2 only the HD has serious battery problems, although it is terrible!
      if you got the money and just want a simple easy to use smart phone iphones are good tbh
      The desire doesn't have serious battery issue :fyi:

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.