Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't lose weight, need ideas please? Watch

Right, well I'm not hugely overweight, but I'm not entirely happy with how I look, and I have several friends who've lost weight and look really great. When I started uni I lost a lot of weight, but over the summer after my first year i put some back on. I tried dieting again starting my second year, but I can't seem to shift it I cycle for nearly an hour every day, and walk a lot , so it's not like I hardly get any exercise, I eat well too

I'm home for christmas at the moment, and really would like to lose weight, and fairly quick since I'm so fedup with not being able to lose it, and I know it's possible because I've seen people do it, but I can't really control my diet at home as I eat what I'm given, which in fairness is usually pretty healthy anyway! I don't tend to snack or eat huge meals or too much crap when I'm home, but nothing seems to help

Any ideas that are defo gonna work, or experience?

bump

ReputationRep:
    My mum lost about 3 stones by just taking the stairs instead of lifts everywhere she went and eating smaller portions of food and not eating junk food.
    I'm sure if you carry on with your exercise and eat healthy you'll see results in a bit.

(Original post by Daniel2010)
    My mum lost about 3 stones by just taking the stairs instead of lifts everywhere she went and eating smaller portions of food and not eating junk food.
    I'm sure if you carry on with your exercise and eat healthy you'll see results in a bit.
    go her!! i pretty much take the stairs anyway most of the time, and i don't eat tooo much crap, but i suppose even smaller portions couldnt hurt! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    go her!! i pretty much take the stairs anyway most of the time, and i don't eat tooo much crap, but i suppose even smaller portions couldnt hurt! :P
    If you're doing what you say you're doing then all you need is patience good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel2010)
    Unless your mom weighed 80+ stone or lived in a lighthouse there was more to her weight loss than walking up the stairs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Unless your mom weighed 80+ stone or lived in a lighthouse there was more to her weight loss than walking up the stairs
    aha. nah, there was of course playing tennis, going for walks etc. but the general idea is that she tried to take the healthier option where ever she could.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it would be a good idea to have like a set timetable for when you eat... if you dont already.

I always eat around the same time...unless i'm out with friends... im actually really slim.. and have never tried to lose weight, but i really think that having some sort of standard time to eat each day helps.. and when any of my friends plan on losing weight.. thats one of the first things they do. They eat healthy and have a set timetable of around what time they're going to eat each day.

ReputationRep:
    i always found that eating a kebab from the famous pest infected "chippy lane" does the trick. food poisoning twas great lost 2 stone throwing up.

but joining a gym is good especially if you pay a monthly fee you ACTUALLY have to go and eat 5 small portions a day and get a buddy to do it with you. you know us girls ( assuming you're female) we always need to lose that extra. and don't fret it wont happen like that you gotta continue it
    make it a goal in 2011 eat all the junk you want for the next 8 days, go on.

ReputationRep:
    Right, well I'm not hugely overweight, but I'm not entirely happy with how I look, and I have several friends who've lost weight and look really great. When I started uni I lost a lot of weight, but over the summer after my first year i put some back on. I tried dieting again starting my second year, but I can't seem to shift it I cycle for nearly an hour every day, and walk a lot , so it's not like I hardly get any exercise, I eat well too

I'm home for christmas at the moment, and really would like to lose weight, and fairly quick since I'm so fedup with not being able to lose it, and I know it's possible because I've seen people do it, but I can't really control my diet at home as I eat what I'm given, which in fairness is usually pretty healthy anyway! I don't tend to snack or eat huge meals or too much crap when I'm home, but nothing seems to help

Any ideas that are defo gonna work, or experience?
    I lost 1st 8lbs over the 6 week holidays by cutting calories, but eating more, sounds weird i know
    This is what i did

• Cut out ALL carbs i.e. bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc - this is what our body uses for fuel, so if you cut it off, your body will be forced to burn fat
    • Eat loads of protein - fills you up and maintains muscle, but eat good protein like fish and lean meats, not like bacon, sausages or beef (egg whites are awsome)
    • Eat plenty of Fibre - no calories and helps flush out the crap => this is the magic ingredient to lose weight. If you eat plenty of fibre, you consume hardly any calories, but your body is still having to churn up the food so you increase your metabolism
    • drink ice cold water - may sound stupid, but your body will use energy trying to heat up the water to body temperature - this method alone can help you lose upto 1/2lb a week

Obviously exercise, go out for a 15-30 minute RUN...not jog, RUN as in 70-80% Sprint...with your lack of carbs (because you would have cut them out in your diet) your body will look to burn fat, and a run will catalyse this process.

Make sure that you also combine weights as you want to maintain muscle mass, dont get caught in the trap where you think you're losing fat weight when infact you're losing muscle

Also if you do choose to cut out carbs, in the first two weeks you will lose considerable amounts of weight (around half a stone), this is your body losing water weight so be sure to keep topped up with water.

Any other advice, feel free to pm me!

Good Luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha :rofl:.

If that wasn't rep-worthy I don't know what is.

(Original post by viksta1000)
    I lost 1st 8lbs over the 6 week holidays by cutting calories, but eating more, sounds weird i know
    This is what i did

• Cut out ALL carbs i.e. bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc - this is what our body uses for fuel, so if you cut it off, your body will be forced to burn fat
    • Eat loads of protein - fills you up and maintains muscle, but eat good protein like fish and lean meats, not like bacon, sausages or beef (egg whites are awsome)
    • Eat plenty of Fibre - no calories and helps flush out the crap => this is the magic ingredient to lose weight. If you eat plenty of fibre, you consume hardly any calories, but your body is still having to churn up the food so you increase your metabolism
    • drink ice cold water - may sound stupid, but your body will use energy trying to heat up the water to body temperature - this method alone can help you lose upto 1/2lb a week

Obviously exercise, go out for a 15-30 minute RUN...not jog, RUN as in 70-80% Sprint...with your lack of carbs (because you would have cut them out in your diet) your body will look to burn fat, and a run will catalyse this process.

Make sure that you also combine weights as you want to maintain muscle mass, dont get caught in the trap where you think you're losing fat weight when infact you're losing muscle

Also if you do choose to cut out carbs, in the first two weeks you will lose considerable amounts of weight (around half a stone), this is your body losing water weight so be sure to keep topped up with water.

Any other advice, feel free to pm me!

Good Luck!!!
    thanks for the advice everyone

a couple of months ago for about a month, i did cut out all calories, ate loads of salad, fibre, chicken and stuff etc, and went out for a run/jog every day for a couple of weeks, and lost only 2lbs, over like a month, so i just got frustrated and stopped

may try again when i'mback at uni, but i cook for me and my boyfriend every day, and sometimes other housemates too, and it can be hard not to cook anything with carbs in haha

it's just frustarting knowing i eat pretty healthily and do exercise but it just won't drop off at all! i want to lose a stone, maybe near 2, just want to look that bit nicer haha, it's not necessity, but it is frustrating when i've lost so much over the past couple of years without barely trying, gone from being size 16 when i was 15, to size 10-12 now i'm 19, but now i try to lose a bit extra, it doesn't work!!

didn't know about the iced water thing though haha maybe i should try that too :P guess i shall just have to try everything 3 times as hard starting when i go back to uni!! difficult to find the time for more exercise than i do with the amount of work i have

thanks

ReputationRep:
    my friend completely cut out carbs for like 2/3 months, she said she lost about half a stone or something (she's really slim anyway -i didn't notice) but then when she ate them again it made her reaallly ill (and now she has apparently put on that weight -but again i can't tell at all!). So i don't think cutting out carbs is particularly good, however i'm no expert and it may just be her that became ill!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilacTweet)
    my friend completely cut out carbs for like 2/3 months, she said she lost about half a stone or something (she's really slim anyway -i didn't notice) but then when she ate them again it made her reaallly ill (and now she has apparently put on that weight -but again i can't tell at all!). So i don't think cutting out carbs is particularly good, however i'm no expert and it may just be her that became ill!
    yeah, the thing is you need to bring them back in moderation, so as quick as you cut them out, you need to inverse that the way you bring them back in.

Say you've lost the amount of weight you set to lose, from that day you hit the 'magical number' on the scales, you should take about 6-8 weeks to get to eating carbs as part of a normal diet.

Another thing to remember is that diet is a lifestyle choice, not a quick fix remedy for losing weight. People often think, 'oh one minute, i lost a stone, but when i started eating normally again i put on more weight', well that's because their original diet was poor, so after losing weight and going back to the original diet, obviously they're going to put weight back on, because their poor diet insists on the extra weight.

To lose and sustain weight loss, diet needs to be permanently adjusted, sure if you've got that party coming up in a couple of weeks and you want to lose a dress size or two, then you can diet and lose weight, but once that party's over and you switch back to you original diet, you WILL put the weight back on, and maybe more, why? because you original diet is not suited to that 'lighter weight' you want to be

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Eat everything in moderation, exercise more and believe in yourself, tell yourself you can, maybe set a target weight or something? Good luck

ReputationRep:

it is frustrating when i've lost so much over the past couple of years without barely trying, gone from being size 16 when i was 15, to size 10-12 now i'm 19, but now i try to lose a bit extra, it doesn't work!!

thanks
    same! although it did take me ages at first so it wasn't totally without trying. i'm trying to lose a bit more now because i've lost track over christmas and also now because the pressure of losing weight before starting uni has gone... next 'big event to lose weight for' is not till next year, hehe.

i'm going for the no/very low carb method - i read somewhere that eating things like beans is good instead of carb to 'balance out' your meal... i think the reason was to do with energy (obviously) but can't remember exactly. Worked when I did it though. hardest thing is not having cereal at breakfast. but yeah good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    i lost 6lbs in a week before going on holiday a few weeks ago by simply eating 2 meals a day, no brek (cos this tends to make me hungrier during the day) no snacks, cut down on carbs, i dont eat meat as im veggie anyway. cut out as much dairy as i could! generally being mega mega healthy. also i went to the gym for at least 1hour a day for 7days, often more then that. also drank loads of water.
    it just goes to show if you want a quick fix then yes you need to do a bit of a drastic diet/ gym schedule.
    however for long term changes it takes so much more perseverance.
    Im not fat by any means, however i could do with keeping down my weight as my weight tends to fluctuate a lot.
    i would say it just takes a lot of will power to keep healthy eating and gym-ing up.
    i would say try not to cut out stuff for long term tho, otherwise you will binge big time. not good.
    good luck and try not to worry about weight too much. just be happy. even though its easier said then done.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try a specific programme, like P90X? It has proven to give amazing results, but takes dedication.

ReputationRep:
    this made me Lollllll!

ReputationRep:
    If you are really committed to this you can count calories. When you grow up eating what your parents give you, you may think it's all healthy. But even healthy looking food may contain too much calories. When I tried to lose weight I counted my calories. You should go under 2000 calories and that way you use more calories than you eat. That way I learned to see how much is a good portion of food (used a scale and counted how much for example 100 g of rice has calories). I learned to watch how much there are carbs, protein and fat in products.

You should avoid carbs (bread, pasta etc) and eat more protein (meat, eggs, cheese but avoid the ones that have too much fat). Some calorie counters in the internet have good carb/protein/fat "pies" that show how much you have eaten them. Just don't go too extreme with this because when I started to see results I just ate less and less calories. It may seem easy then but I'm sure you don't want any eating disorders? Just eat way more than 1000 calories but less than 2000. When you start to understand which foods are good (calories and carbs/protein/fat in it) and how big portions are good, you can stop counting calories because you can just estimate what you can eat.

Viksta1000's advice was really good. Make an exercise plan for yourself for a week and decide how long you want to do those activities (running, skipping rope, weights). But if it seems really hard for you, you could talk to a nutritionist and you can make a plan with her. I don't know how it works in britain so correct me if things are different there. My friend has been talking with her nutritionist and they made a plan what to eat and an exercise plan. She lost weight quite much with this help and support. And if there is something wrong with your body which makes it harder to lose weight, a professional can always help with that. I think nutritionists know the symptoms if there are any.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.