Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Epilepsy? :( Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know you're not doctors, and any advice you give me isn't approved medical blah blah blah. I don't care, I'm sightly worried and I want some advice or reassurance.

Right, so, I'm starting to think I might be epileptic. I have 'twitches' all the time, when I'm awake and stuff. They're really violent, and they cause me to drop things and knock into things. They don't affect me in any major way, other than people thinking I'm extremely clumsy lol. As far as I can remember, these have been happening since I was about 12.

I also often get a weird feeling of distortion with the world, followed by a rush of anxiety, and then I either have a really violent jerk movement, or I just...sort of...space out. I can't really remember what I do when this happens, but I remember it's happened, if that makes sense. :s

I was tested for epilepsy when I was 11 but it was clear. Is it possible to develop epilepsy later on? Also, does it sound as if I might seriously have it? Or am I just panicking, haha. Thanks.

Oh, and anyone with epilepsy or who has knowledge of it, your stories are welcome. Does it mean I can never drive if I have it?

Only 5% of people with epilepsy are affected by flashing lights.

FACT!

ReputationRep:
      A friend of mine had his first proper seizure maybe two years ago, when he was 16-17, and hasn't had any since. It was stress-related or something like that. He drives nowadays, I remember there was some problem with it back then, but that seems to have been cleared up. :shrug:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by .Ali.)
      DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know you're not doctors, and any advice you give me isn't approved medical blah blah blah. I don't care, I'm sightly worried and I want some advice or reassurance.

Right, so, I'm starting to think I might be epileptic. I have 'twitches' all the time, when I'm awake and stuff. They're really violent, and they cause me to drop things and knock into things. They don't affect me in any major way, other than people thinking I'm extremely clumsy lol. As far as I can remember, these have been happening since I was about 12.

I also often get a weird feeling of distortion with the world, followed by a rush of anxiety, and then I either have a really violent jerk movement, or I just...sort of...space out. I can't really remember what I do when this happens, but I remember it's happened, if that makes sense. :s

I was tested for epilepsy when I was 11 but it was clear. Is it possible to develop epilepsy later on? Also, does it sound as if I might seriously have it? Or am I just panicking, haha. Thanks.

Oh, and anyone with epilepsy or who has knowledge of it, your stories are welcome. Does it mean I can never drive if I have it?
      To be honest, the types of epilepsy people have vary... there's the common stereotype of epileptics twitching and shaking, I had seizures when I was young and I just froze, couldn't move and stared...

I think it would be best for you to speak to your doctor and explain it to them, it could be epilepsy, but it could also be other things.

http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/Ab...lepsy/Seizures

ReputationRep:
      Wouldn't it be better to see a doctor, just to put your mind at rest.

I know you said 'we're not doctors' etc but self diagnosing yourself on the internet only makes you panic more. Usually there's a more simple cause than epilepsy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by amizzle91)
      Wouldn't it be better to see a doctor, just to put your mind at rest.

I know you said 'we're not doctors' etc but self diagnosing yourself on the internet only makes you panic more. Usually there's a more simple cause than epilepsy.
      Yeah, but I don't want to waste their time if it's nothing.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by La Songeuse)
      To be honest, the types of epilepsy people have vary... there's the common stereotype of epileptics twitching and shaking, I had seizures when I was young and I just froze, couldn't move and stared...

I think it would be best for you to speak to your doctor and explain it to them, it could be epilepsy, but it could also be other things.

http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/Ab...lepsy/Seizures
      Do you still have seizures now?

From that link you sent, the symptoms I get are:

stiffness or twitching in part of the body (such as an arm or hand).
      a ‘rising’ feeling in the stomach or deja vu (feeling like you've 'been here before')
      getting an unusual smell or taste
      a sudden intense feeling of fear or joy.
      picking up objects for no reason
      talking 'nonsense' or muttering, or repeating words that don't make sense
      wandering around in a confused way.

And then the myoclonic seizure things.

Basically, is this enough to go to the doctors with? Or am I worrying about nothing?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by .Ali.)

But that's what they are there for, after all And if you do have epilepsy you'll have to go to a doctor eventually.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by amizzle91)
      But that's what they are there for, after all
      I guess, and it's better to have it checked. I'll probably go and see about it, thanks for reading this anyway.

ReputationRep:
      It's probably best you go to the doctors. Better to be safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by .Ali.)
      Do you still have seizures now?

From that link you sent, the symptoms I get are:

stiffness or twitching in part of the body (such as an arm or hand).
      a ‘rising’ feeling in the stomach or deja vu (feeling like you've 'been here before')
      getting an unusual smell or taste
      a sudden intense feeling of fear or joy.
      picking up objects for no reason
      talking 'nonsense' or muttering, or repeating words that don't make sense
      wandering around in a confused way.

And then the myoclonic seizure things.

Basically, is this enough to go to the doctors with? Or am I worrying about nothing?
      I was put on bloody strong medication when I was 11, came off it when I was 13 and I've never had one since (to my knowledge). The doctors never really explained why I had them, so I think they presumed it was childhood and growing up related ...

Given that you have those symptoms, I think you should definitely go to the doctors. They can do MRI/CAT scans and monitor the signals in your brain. Your doctor is there to answered your questions

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by .Ali.)
      Part of a doctor's job though is to decide whether or not it is indeed "nothing". Book an appointment with your GP - there are only two likely outcomes: either you're reassured and you've only taken 10 minutes of their time to put your mind at ease, or you're referred for further investigation in which case the doctor certainly doesn't think you're a time waster.

ReputationRep:
      It does sound like it- but there are other conditions which can cause those symptoms as well. I know you put that first bit in bold but seriously, go to a doctor and get it sorted out. It would be dangerous for you to ever drive if you experience things like this- but on the right medication, it can be controlled and you'd be able to live a completely normal life. You're probably worrying over something that can be very easily controlled x

ReputationRep:
      That doesn't sound like nothing. It is definitely worth asking a doctor.

ReputationRep:
      It does sound like a possibility. It is certainly not nothing. It's worth seeing a doctor about it as they may be able to help, whatever it is.

It will be helpful if someone who has witnessed your episodes could write down what they saw and how long it lasted for you to show your doctor.

Tests for epilepsy normally involve an EEG, which can detect seizure activity in the brain. It will only detect seizure activity if it occurs during the test, so it's possible the test just did not pick anything up.

There is no blanket ban on people with epilepsy driving. You need to be seizure free for at least a year in order to drive. If you already have a licence you will need to give it up if you have seizures, but you won't need to retake your test once you are seizure free. You can just re-apply with a dr's note to say you are well.

Your best chance of being seizure-free is to either rule out epilepsy with your doctor, or get a diagnosis and treatment hat can prevent the seizures.

There are tougher restrictions on certain types of vehicle that you'd need to take additional tests for. For example, lorry driving. There may also be restrictions on certain types of job, including being a pilot or joining the army. Mostly though, if you can get it under control, it needn't affect your life.

ReputationRep:
      Hi Ali

People go to the doctors for far minor complaints than what you have detailed in this thread, so don't let that be a factor in decided whether to go.

As already mentioned, there are many types of epilepsy and seizure - from the violent convulsions on the floor to simple "absence" seizures where you are disconnected from the world for a brief period before returning. All of these forms of epilepsy do need to be monitored so it's worth checking up with your doctor to see whether your self-diagnosis of epilepsy is correct, or it could be a form of Tourette's or indeed nothing at all.

Keeping a record of your experiences in the form of a diary - noting the time, where you were, did anyone see you, did you hurt yourself, did you lose consciousness, how long did it last etc etc would be very helpful for your doctor.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by .Ali.)
      It is probably best if you do get checked out by a GP, it will set your mind at rest. Also with relating to driving I think the DVLA have someone meet with you or they need something from a doctor to say you're ok to drive. Not sure on that though.

ReputationRep:
      OP, I'd also advise you to visit the doctor. I had epilepsy as a child, it was called Benign Rolandic Epilepsy, and was put on tablets which stopped me having seizures.I only ever had 3 anyway, but also had the absences and my teachers used to call me a daydreamer because of them.I've not had a fit for decades, nor do I take tablets anymore. I only took them for about 5 years anyway.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ritchie888)
      Only 5% of people with epilepsy are affected by flashing lights.

FACT!
      This is very true.
      Im quiet frankly sick of people thinking everyone with epilepsy cant look at flashing lights.

Go find out if you have it. All the tests are harmless.
      My dad had is bad, but now they've got his drugs sorted hes not had a seizure for over a year!
      You can live a 100% normal life with it.

Yes, it can effect your driving. But it depends on individual cases.... The DVLA will examine your situation, and decide.

ReputationRep:
      It's definitely worth going to see a doctor if you're worried about it. If you do have epilepsy, stressing about whether you've got it or not will only make things worse, so put your mind at ease and find out for sure.

One thing though - if it turns out you do have epilepsy, don't take the medication straight away! Most doctors will just try and give you any medication to get you to go away rather than look for the problem. If it gets worse to the point where it's seriously affecting and/or you have regular seizures (NOT if it's a one off) then you can but otherwise it's really not worth the side effects. I was put on medication and the side effects were so bad I ended up in hospital - and that wasn't even strong dosage or anything. I know side effects vary from person to person and you may be unaffected by them but please bear this in mind.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.