This discussion is closed.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
The Judge who fell asleep. I'm sorry but he should completely get the sack - they have to go through another trial because he fell asleep - that is ridiculous

what do you think?
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
The Judge who fell asleep. I'm sorry but he should completely get the sack - they have to go through another trial because he fell asleep - that is ridiculous

what do you think?
Even professionals have to sleep. I'm sure that stress of the job finally got to the poor fellow, and there is no reason why he should be fired for a simple momentary lapse into unconsciousness.
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr White)
Even professionals have to sleep. I'm sure that stress of the job finally got to the poor fellow, and there is no reason why he should be fired for a simple momentary lapse into unconsciousness.
Apparently he was snoring through the jurys verdict, and he's 70, imo, without being ageist (sp) that is too old. You cannot fall asleep at work!

Probably was due to the weight of his idiotic wig - used up all his energy keeping it on his head!

From what was said I don't think it was momentary
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Apparently he was snoring through the jurys verdict, and he's 70, imo, without being ageist (sp) that is too old. You cannot fall asleep at work!

Probably was due to the weight of his idiotic wig - used up all his energy keeping it on his head!

Most judges are old due to the sheer length of time you have to be a barrister before you can become a judge, as for falling asleep during a trial, he may not have meant to but when a persons future freedom is at stake for a long period of time it is not excusable.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Have pity on our poor, senile elders - they can't focus for as long as we can. They need their sleep, after all.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Have pity on our poor, senile elders - they can't focus for as long as we can. They need their sleep, after all.
old people don't need that much sleep, 5/6 hours a day, compared to 10 hours for a child.
TK
Rep:
?
I will NOT have pity.
SACK HIM!
He should sleep at home not at work - the cheek of it. It's like me just going for a quick nap in the changing rooms while i'm at work! (except he probably gets paid about a million times more than me)

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I will NOT have pity.
SACK HIM!
He should sleep at home not at work - the cheek of it. It's like me just going for a quick nap in the changing rooms while i'm at work! (except he probably gets paid about a million times more than me)

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!
How much does he get paid? I think its about 120000 for a recorder (part time judge) so he must be nearing the two hundred thousand barrier, hell even the people on 'shattered' could stay awake and they were only playing for half the sum...
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
How much does he get paid? I think its about 120000 for a recorder (part time judge) so he must be nearing the two hundred thousand barrier, hell even the people on 'shattered' could stay awake and they were only playing for half the sum...
But that was for a week, not a year...
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No there isnt. The job isn't stressful - its dull as dishwater, which is why he slept. But he should be punished, it makes a mockery of the court case in session, not to mention makes the victims feel humilated, and gives defendants a sense of "what the hell is happening here?"

A re-trial costs in excess of £4,000 (and I may even be getting that confused with the cost of lesser magistrates cases) and that adds stress upon all involved. Dont forget, the defence and prosecution will have to be paid again and that isn't cheap.

He should be sacked as he makes a mockery of the entire process!
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
Judge Michael Coombe admitted falling asleep during the trial and the men's lawyers told the Court of Appeal that he might have missed vital evidence.

What an idiot - on BBC News it said he admitted to falling asleep, but not to snoring. How the hell would he know whether he was snoring if he had already admitted he was asleep.
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
No there isnt. The job isn't stressful - its dull as dishwater, which is why he slept. But he should be punished, it makes a mockery of the court case in session, not to mention makes the victims feel humilated, and gives defendants a sense of "what the hell is happening here?"

A re-trial costs in excess of £4,000 (and I may even be getting that confused with the cost of lesser magistrates cases) and that adds stress upon all involved. Dont forget, the defence and prosecution will have to be paid again and that isn't cheap.

I think 4000 is an underestimated price for a trial of this size. (p.s. i know it was only a week on shattered, but i needed something to jazz up my argument and i thought only the intelligent would notice!)
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Judge Michael Coombe admitted falling asleep during the trial and the men's lawyers told the Court of Appeal that he might have missed vital evidence.

What an idiot - on BBC News it said he admitted to falling asleep, but not to snoring. How the hell would he know whether he was snoring if he had already admitted he was asleep.
but he wasn't sleeping through the evidence, but through the verdict.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)

Sacked? That's very extreme - especially considering how rare skilled judges are. I'm sure that it's just a one-off lapse in concentration that the individual will regret for the rest of his life.
TK
Rep:
?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/dome/artic...652620,00.html

see this if you're interested in the story
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sacked? That's very extreme - especially considering how rare skilled judges are. I'm sure that it's just a one-off lapse in concentration that the individual will regret for the rest of his life.
maybe he should be asked to go into (early?) retirement. with a fat golden handshake as per usual.
TK
Rep:
?
1) He is not skilled - he fell asleep!
2) He is 70 - he has enjoyed enough of his life - he won't have too long to regret it!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
1) He is not skilled - he fell asleep!
2) He is 70 - he has enjoyed enough of his life - he won't have too long to regret it!
1) Even the most brilliant of people have to sleep.
2) It is extremely rare for someone to be senile by the age of 70 - this is unlikely to have been a causative factor in his 'dropping off'.
TK
Rep:
?
1) Even the most brilliant of people have to sleep.
2) It is extremely rare for someone to be senile by the age of 70 - this is unlikely to have been a causative factor in his 'dropping off'.

1) It was not the right time to be sleeping
2)not once have i called him senile - merely past it
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
1) It was not the right time to be sleeping
2)not once have i called him senile - merely past it
1) Pressures of the job are likely to be responsible and, as has been said, he was likely to have been extremely bored at the time.
2) His age is not a causative factor, as I have said. Whether or not he is 'past it' (whatever it is), has no bearing on this.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads