ZZZzzzzz Watch

This discussion is closed.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
1) Pressures of the job are likely to be responsible and, as has been said, he was likely to have been extremely bored at the time.
2) His age is not a causative factor, as I have said. Whether or not he is 'past it' (whatever it is), has no bearing on this.
So if you were in court - convicted of murder (please don't think for one moment i am implying you would commit murder - this is purely hypothetical) and the judge fell asleep you would be perfectly understanding - he must have been bored - oh well....life sentence for me then
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
So if you were in court - convicted of murder (please don't think for one moment i am implying you would commit murder - this is purely hypothetical) and the judge fell asleep you would be perfectly understanding - he must have been bored - oh well....life sentence for me then
I completely agree with you, my mentality is that if you get the pay packet you do the job to the best of your ability...what else annoys me is people in the pubic eye i.e. john leslie have the mentality to say that what they do doesnt affect anybody, it certainly does!!!!
And for this judge to fall asleep is utterly ridiculous, yes being in court listening to people ALL day is very boring but at least have the decency to seem half awake is all I can say

Utterly ridiculous I shall be writing a letter to the court of justice immediately.......completly ludicrous!!!!
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nafisa)
I completely agree with you, my mentality is that if you get the pay packet you do the job to the best of your ability...what else annoys me is people in the pubic eye i.e. john leslie have the mentality to say that what they do doesnt affect anybody, it certainly does!!!!
And for this judge to fall asleep is utterly ridiculous, yes being in court listening to people ALL day is very boring but at least have the decency to seem half awake is all I can say

Utterly ridiculous I shall be writing a letter to the court of justice immediately.......completly ludicrous!!!!
exactly - why is he in the job if it's so BORING?
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You misunderstand, I never said that what he did wasn't bad, just that he should be forgiven for it - everyone makes mistakes, after all.
TK
Rep:
?
You misunderstand, I never said that what he did wasn't bad, just that he should be forgiven for it - everyone makes mistakes, after all.
fair enough - sorry for the misunderstanding. I gather he is not the only judge to have done so though - i think something needs to be done to stop it from happening in the future - that's all - sacking him would set an example to others
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
fair enough - sorry for the misunderstanding. I gather he is not the only judge to have done so though - i think something needs to be done to stop it from happening in the future - that's all - sacking him would set an example to others
I don't think so - it's not a case of willfully deciding to fall asleep. Sacking him would not make other judges suddenly become immune to the act of drifting off. It is unavoidable in most cases, I'm sure that this particular judge would have avoided it if he could.
TK
Rep:
?
I don't think so - it's not a case of willfully deciding to fall asleep. Sacking him would not make other judges suddenly become immune to the act of drifting off. It is unavoidable in most cases, I'm sure that this particular judge would have avoided it if he could.
hmm - I don't really think it matters whether it was willful - i think it's extremly irresponsible. anyway i think we have exhausted this. thanks for sharing your views
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hmm - I don't really think it matters whether it was willful - i think it's extremly irresponsible. anyway i think we have exhausted this. thanks for sharing your views
It was my pleasure to have participated in this rant with you.
TK
Rep:
?
It was my pleasure to have participated in this rant with you.
the pleasure was all mine - you helped me to make more valuable posts - i thank you - i will shut up now. this thread is dead i know
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the pleasure was all mine - you helped me to make more valuable posts - i thank you - i will shut up now. this thread is dead i know
Good threads never die, they just stagnate. Still, it's probably best to stop this one riding at the top, as the original subject matter appears to have been argued into an early grave. Adieu, then.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Despite the deadness of this post...i'd like to point out a flaw in the british legal system. The judge wont get sacked because there is no organisation that monitors the quality of judges and body which has the power to do so. Once your a judge, you;ve got the job for life (obviously as long as you dont do something highly illegal and get caught!)

Perhaps this does need to be changed.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Despite the deadness of this post...i'd like to point out a flaw in the british legal system. The judge wont get sacked because there is no organisation that monitors the quality of judges and body which has the power to do so. Once your a judge, you;ve got the job for life (obviously as long as you dont do something highly illegal and get caught!)

Perhaps this does need to be changed.
Really? I never knew that (and, trust me, that doesn't happen very often). So a judge technically has the power to do (sort of) anything? Say that they gave a low-key pickpocket a life-sentence - could they be disciplined for this?
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Really? I never knew that (and, trust me, that doesn't happen very often). So a judge technically has the power to do (sort of) anything? Say that they gave a low-key pickpocket a life-sentence - could they be disciplined for this?
i hope not, and he should be given a medal. (the judge, not the pickpocket)
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i hope not, and he should be given a medal. (the judge, not the pickpocket)
Ah, I sense that you tend towards the 'no tolerance' view on crime, yes?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
AS far as i'm aware (and I'm currently doing half a years work experience in a solicitors and want to become a barrister) yes he can do what he likes. A judge in effect is the monarch in absentia, and as we know the queen cannot be tried. Thats why sometimes judges set really harsh sentences to people to set examples while others get away with the same crime and hardly get punnished.

Although you do have to practive law for a long time and be reputable, so it is rather unlikely a petty criminal is going to be banged up for life.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not really, though it would be quashed on appeal, the lord chancellor had the power to remove a judge but seen as his post has been dissolved then god knows whos in control.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
Not really, though it would be quashed on appeal, the lord chancellor had the power to remove a judge but seen as his post has been dissolved then god knows whos in control.
That was my point.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
That was my point.
Indeed it was, i just expanded on Mr Whites questioning, i can see his urge to be an uncontrolled sleeping judge shining through as we speak...!
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
Indeed it was, i just expanded on Mr Whites questioning, i can see his urge to be an uncontrolled sleeping judge shining through as we speak...!
then i will sabotage his wig - put ice cream in it or something - even better dye it pink!
TK
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hehehe
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (953)
79.88%
Leave (240)
20.12%

Watched Threads