Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Been reading on here for a while and thought I'd sign up and ask for advice.

At the moment I'm on a gap year before going to study maths at Imperial next year. I'm interested in applying for internships with IBs in my second year.

I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on what to research, etc. I have 2 years so obviously that's a lot of time for me to do research.

What do you guys read? I'm guessing the ft and wsj. But anything else I should take interest in, like the IBs quarterly earnings reports and their annual reports. And what kind of information should I be looking out for.

Any techniques or models I should definitely look into? For example, I saw in another thread in IBD you should know what a DCF model is. What others should I expect to know? What about for S&T, what kind of techniques should I know?

I would appreciate any adivce, but I realise you guys all have your own applications to worry about at the moment! Good luck with those guys.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Apply for Spring weeks in your first year.
    Read FT frequently and attend the networking/presentation events, try to talk to as many people as possible, they could become very useful contacts when you apply for internships
    Try to get involved in the finance society
    you need to know which division you would like to apply for before you can prepare for the technical stuff, so don't worry too much in your first year, leave it until next summer at least.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Yep.

You don't need to go into technical stuff yet. Try to learn as much as possible about the different career options available to you. If you have any contacts in the industry you could ask to shadow them for a few days, an easy way to improve your CV for internship applications.

Just out of interest what was your offer from Imperial? I've heard it's getting really tough to get in to nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional. Got A*A*A*A* at A Level. Quick question for IBD is it essential to be fluent in another European language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatiusMatius)
    I have an unconditional. Got A*A*A*A* at A . Quick question for IBD is it essential to be fluent in another European language?
    No, not essential.

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional. Got A*A*A*A* at A Level. Quick question for IBD is it essential to be fluent in another European language?
    There are at least two major banks that don't formally state it as a requirment, but actually only hire IBD interns with fluency in a European language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    There are at least two major banks that don't formally state it as a requirment, but actually only hire IBD interns with fluency in a European language.
    Didn't know this. What banks just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    And they actually expect you to be fluent? Even if you don't study the language at uni. BEcause I'm sure I could gain a really good grasp of a language but not become fluent.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you can speak at interview level then it'll be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Possibly 1 of them is Morgan Stanley, and perhaps Goldman ?:confused:?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    At SocGen its a requirement for the grad programme.

And they actually expect you to be fluent? Even if you don't study the language at uni. BEcause I'm sure I could gain a really good grasp of a language but not become fluent.
    you'll find very few Britsh at those banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    JPM, SocGen and the continental banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)

you'll find very few Britsh at those banks.
    But JPM is full of Brits and Americans. And surely they want you to speak another language for the sake of clients instead of colleagues who are required to speak english too.

ReputationRep:
    But JPM is full of Brits and Americans.
    wasn't talking about them.
    SocGen AC, there were a full 0 brits. In fact the minority even attended UK unis (2 or 3 out of 12).

ReputationRep:
    wow. were you there?

ReputationRep:
    wow. were you there?
    yeah. i figured SocGen might be an exception tho

ReputationRep:
    I dont think many brits would fit into the SocGen BNPP culture anyways tbh. Too french.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.