Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your view on America using the most dangerous nucleur atomic bomb? Watch

• View Poll Results: My view
    It was fine, america has media influence, money power
    42.11%
    It was clearly morally wrong. i am too intelligent to believe that crap
    57.89%

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: MODS SEEM TO WANT ME BANNED, I AM ON 14, FOR POSTING ANOTHER THREAD LIKE THIS, IF THIS IS NOT IN THE RIGHT FORUM, I KINDLY REQUEST FOR IT TO BE MOVED, I DON'T WANT ANOTHER WARNING PLEASE, THANK YOU.

On the 6th of august, in 1945, america dropped, 2 atom bombs. You may think, that is terrible, and 90,000–166,000 killed in Hiroshima
    60,000–80,000 killed in Nagasak

two atomic bombs...

imagine that, you on your computer with your life and dreams to be bombed?

Imagine no-body speaking out, because they were to afraid of america's media influence and power?

Imagine all the dead?

Guess what:

of the remaining that survived, who lost their families, guess what happened? it was a NUCLEAR bomb, yes, and many of you scientists doing gcse, a levels , or even degrees know that it affects genetics.

Even today, many have deformed and mutated genetics..

Mods, do not delete my thread, please, there is a freedom for speech. every thread highlighting clear and well accepted and 100% certain truths about america seem to get quickly hidden.

you can side with america, you have your own opinion...post and discuss

thank you

Logical reply by a fellow poster:

"The Americans will never be able to justify the nuclear bombings.

90,000–166,000 killed in Hiroshima
    60,000–80,000 killed in Nagasak

Not to mention the effects radiation has had on generation of people in Japan.

Yes, the Japanese treated the americans like dogs. They were amazingly brutal to every country they invaded, and killed far, far to many innocent civi's them selves.
    And their treatment of POWs is beyond belief....
    Only a fool would say the Japanese were innocent.

But Japan was on its knee's as it was. Typical American attitude if you ask me...
    No, a full scale invasion of Japan would not have worked.
    But Japan was on its knees. Running out of everything, most importantly oil.
    They were taking a beating in China, and just about everywhere else.

Would it not have been easier to blockade the Japanese? American naval power was far greater during the end of the war...
    Destroy any oil, food, anything else that goes into Japan.
    That would have caused a revolt within Japan, and the goverment/monarchy would have been overthrown. Surrender would have come.

But the americans chose to drop the two most powerful wepons ever made (at the time), on two very populated cities. Yes, they both had very large military presence. But there was still no justification to do it. If the americans got their planning right, and did starve japan of everything it needed. In my mind the war would have not lasted any longer. But they didn't, like always. They decided to go guns hoe, and destroy everything. Sums up the american ethos.

Pearl harbour was a disgrace. But atleast the japanese were orderly, and attacked military assets.
    Two of the largest cities in japan, should not have been classed as military assets.

The fact that Hiroshima refused to surrender after well over 100,000 citizens had been killed, sums the whole thing up if you ask me."

ReputationRep:
    On the 6th of august, in 1945, america dropped, i don't know if it was more than one, but atom bombs.
    Well do you think it might be a good idea to find out a few of the basic facts before you try start a debate?

ReputationRep:
    You misspelt nuclear

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, of course most of what the American Gov. have done is evil bull**** but really, what is any ther country gonna do about it? We'll just have to wait and see what happens when China takes the reins...should be interesting. But I guess you can't really blame your normal American citizens.
    Most of them are working all hours of the day to pay for some healthcare insurance which is only gonna decline payment when they get cancer. Or are in hiding cos they aren't actually in fact American citizens at all...but fled to America when the government put stupid tariffs on corn imports, so the Mexican farmer couldn't earn a living anymore.
    In any case, all that go to school spend a lot of time having the glorified 'History of America' shoved down their throats so in later life don't question their right to the land over native indians or how the great depression came about etc etc.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billydodger)
    Yeah, of course most of what the American Gov. have done is evil bull**** but really, what is any ther country gonna do about it? We'll just have to wait and see what happens when China takes the reins...should be interesting. But I guess you can't really blame your normal American citizens.
    Most of them are working all hours of the day to pay for some healthcare insurance which is only gonna decline payment when they get cancer. Or are in hiding cos they aren't actually in fact American citizens at all...but fled to America when the government put stupid tariffs on corn imports, so the Mexican farmer couldn't earn a living anymore.
    In any case, all that go to school spend a lot of time having the glorified 'History of America' shoved down their throats so in later life don't question their right to the land over native indians or how the great depression came about etc etc.........
    This

ReputationRep:
    Any one who did GCSE history would know it was two Atom bombs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    thank you, that just makes it so much worse, let me edit my original post
    tyvm

Can I ask, what facts about these bombs (you must be the only person in the world that doesn't know how many were dropped, although it was actually only one on the 6th) do you believe have been hidden?

ReputationRep:
      It was wrong, but you have to understand that they were at war and obviously they could do anything.

BTW it was two, Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Cornerstone)
      It was wrong, but you have to understand that they were at war and obviously they could do anything.

BTW it was two, Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
      thanks for the input

yes, there is no such think as a crime against humanity.

ReputationRep:
      American government is probably so corrupt that they are good at hiding it.

ReputationRep:
      Truman's justification for the use of the nuclear bombs was that Japan was refusing to surrender and the argument that a hypothetical land invasion of Japan would cost too many lives on both sides. Admittedly, the Soviets were taking far too long to bring their forces to Japan, but they had suffered immeasurably at the hands of the Germans.

Japan may have been refusing to surrender. But I ask you, why would a land invasion have been necessary? The USA had sufficient naval power to totally blockade Japan. Japan was already running dry on oil. After some time of being entirely blockaded, one of two things would have happened:

-Japanese regime surrenders
      -The Japanese people would have revolted, overthrowing the Emperor, and then surrendered.

So Japan would have surrendered without many further casualties.

So why did the US use the nukes? I can only think it was to test them out, to intimidate the Soviet Union, and to end the war as quickly as possible, without regard for Japanese civilian lives. In fairness, Japanese soldiers had fought fanatically and doggedly. American soldiers had suffered in the war. Prisoners of war were treated worse than animals by the Japanese. But another 6 months of blockade, with minimal conflict, would have been infinitely preferable to the deaths of tens of thousands of civilians.

Morally unforgivable, imho. But all too often the atrocities that we committed (Dresden, for example, which was ten times worse than bombing over Coventry or anywhere in Britain) are glossed over.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sixthformer)
      thanks for the input

yes, there is no such think as a crime against humanity.
      Not sure if you're trying to sound sarcastic but war is war, if america should be condemned for crimes against humanity for this, then I can think of a lot of nations and a lot of things committed by these nations that warrant this.

Anyway America (unfortunately) is practically untouchable

ReputationRep:
      Not sure if you're trying to sound sarcastic but war is war, if america should be condemned for crimes against humanity for this, then I can think of a lot of nations and a lot of things committed by these nations that warrant this.

Anyway America (unfortunately) is practically untouchable
      I agree insofar that countries should not be punished for what their ancestors have done. Britain apologising for the slave trade, for example, or blaming modern-day Germans for Nazism is unreasonable.

However, that doesn't mean we can't look back on the use of the atomic bomb or Dresden and admit that they were morally reprehensible.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by milkytea)
      I agree insofar that countries should not be punished for what their ancestors have done. Britain apologising for the slave trade, for example, or blaming modern-day Germans for Nazism is unreasonable.

However, that doesn't mean we can't look back on the use of the atomic bomb or Dresden and admit that they were morally reprehensible.
      Britain does not still do slaves
      and germany now is so multi cultural and diverse.
      but america sitll go kill iraqi's , and have killed millions
      what an amazing passport.
      kill all you like , you have the power, don't worry, no-one can blame you,
      what a utter paradox
      the one that will restore peace is coming.
      lol...and any opressive forces won't really survive.
      i can bet my life on it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sixthformer)
      Britain does not still do slaves
      and germany now is so multi cultural and diverse.
      but america sitll go kill iraqi's , and have killed millions
      what an amazing passport.
      kill all you like , you have the power, don't worry, no-one can blame you,
      what a utter paradox
      the one that will restore peace is coming.
      lol...and any opressive forces won't really survive.
      i can bet my life on it.
      Iraq was an intervention. An intervention to overthrow a corrupt dictator that was making Iraqi citizens suffer and genociding Kurds.

The way America handled the war, the way the UN sanctions made Iraqi citizens suffer, and the number of civilian casulties are tragic but it was necessary to get rid of Saddam.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by milkytea)

Agreed and the use of the atomic bomb is actually the reason why I cannot trust any nation with a weapon as powerful as a nuclear bomb and certainly not USA. But I did say that it was wrong in my earlier post anyway.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kenny_uk)
      Actually, if you really want to be picky on facts, one bomb (Little Boy, a uranium-235 device) was detonated over Hiroshima on the 6th of August killing 90,000–100,000 people (including post bombing radiation effects). A second bomb (Fat Man, a plutonium-239 device) was detonated over Nagasaki on the 9th of August, killing 60,000–80,000 people (again, including after-effects). The Japanese surrender was announced on the 15th of August.

Neither of these were the most lethal air raid in WWII, that "honour" goes to the fire-bombing of Tokyo in which over 100,000 people died in a single night.

If you want to know about the alternative to the bombs, read up on "Operation Downfall". Also do some reading on the land battles on Okinawa, Iwo Jima if you want to see how bloody land battles against the Imperial Japanese Army were.

If you are going to post "100% certain truths" at least post all of them. A one sided truth is as bad as a lie.

ReputationRep:
      Agreed and the use of the atomic bomb is actually the reason why I cannot trust any nation with a weapon as powerful as a nuclear bomb and certainly not USA.
      The danger with nuclear disarmament being that if a rogue state develops nuclear weapons (North Korea being a good example), suddenly they have hegemony over all non-nuclear nations. So I don't agree with the CND point of view, it's too idealistic. We should, of course, never use the things except for in the direst of circumstances.

I think it's relatively safe to trust a modern democracy with nuclear weapons.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.