Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (e) The upward force on the filled balloon at the Earth’s surface is 1.3 × 105 N. The initial acceleration of the balloon as it is released is 27 m s–2. The total mass of the filled balloon and its load is M.

[2]

(ii) Calculate the value of M.

M = ...............kg

Thats the question all help is appreciated

Cheers Dizzy

ReputationRep:
    F=ma
    F being the force
    A the acceleration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strry-eyd)
    F=ma
    F being the force
    A the acceleration
    I tried that and the answer came out wrong.

I have tried ; 27 M = 1.3 × 105 – Mg

But the answer should be 3.5 × 103 kg but I get a different answer from that by using this method.

Thanks for the reply though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah when i tried to do it i also got a different answer, is there any other details we are given?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm really confused the questions based on newtons second law. That is all I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dizzy123)
    I tried that and the answer came out wrong.

I have tried ; 27 M = 1.3 × 105 – Mg

But the answer should be 3.5 × 103 kg but I get a different answer from that by using this method.

Thanks for the reply though.
    I did the same as you and I got 3.5*10^3...

1.3*10^5 / 36.81 = M

ReputationRep:
    Its a misleaing question really as you think that the accerleration of 27ms^-2 can be used in the equation a=f/m. However you need to take into account g=9.8ms^-2

1.3x10^5
    -------------
    27+9.8

=3.53x10^3

Also a little tip, when you are displaying standard form try to use the power to sign ^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.