Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay. So my brother is a flid and somehow manages to **** up his student loan application every year, despite me telling him what I've done since my applications never have any problems (touch wood).

Anyway, he's not getting his maintainence grant at the moment because the SLC need some proof of single occupancy for my mother; whereas I've never been required to send any such information. Because we're registered under my mother's home, we can't use a council tax letter to show this and I don't know how to get the other forms of evidence.

I've looked over his application and can't think of where it's gone awry, but the SLC website is like a labyrinth sometimes. The only reason I could think of is because he applied in 2009, whereas my first app was in 2007.

Otherwise, I don't have a clue.

Anyone know how to resolve something like this?

ReputationRep:
    Yours will be dealt with my local authorities, who are much better at the processing side of things. Most LA's have other means of checking out things like single occupancy if they suspect a false declaration, SFE who your brother applies to don't have this.

Council tax letter should be ok though to be honest. You're both full time students, so are exempt from council tax. Therefore, providing you've no other siblings living there that are not in full time education, the council tax letter should show the 25% reduction for single occupancy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.