Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, in the image attached i don't understand part 1b) iii

The questions says:

An element X in period 3 of the periodic table has the following successive ionisation energies.

(see image)

Deduce the identity of element X.

Could someone tell me why the answer is Aluminium pleeeeease.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    what do you know about ionisation energies?

what electrons will be harder to remove than others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerbreadman85)
    what do you know about ionisation energies?

what electrons will be harder to remove than others?

I know that ionisation energy increases as electrons are removed (so the 2nd ionisation energy is higher than the first)

And, the further the electrons are away from the nucleus, the lower the ionisation energy because the nuclear attraction is reduced, meaning less energy needed to remove the outer electron. So it would be easier to remove an electron from say, a 3s orbital than a 2p orbital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWonderKid)
    So it would be easier to remove an electron from say, a 3s orbital than a 2p orbital.
    So, if there is a sudden massive jump between 3rd and 4th ionisation energies, what does this indicate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerbreadman85)
    So, if there is a sudden massive jump between 3rd and 4th ionisation energies, what does this indicate?

That all the electrons from that energy level have been removed. Aluminium has three in its outer shell which have been removed so now the 4th ionisation energy is going to be REALLY high

I get it now cheers mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWonderKid)
    That all the electrons from that energy level have been removed. Aluminium has three in its outer shell which have been removed so now the 4th ionisation energy is going to be REALLY high
    :congrats:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.