Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Still using Internet Exploder? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...bug+discovered

Oh dear. For those not especially interested in the detail and jargon used in this news story, the tl;dr is that all versions of Internet Explorer have critical vulnerabilities in them that potentially put all your data and personal information at risk.

And the best part is, Microsoft don't have a solution yet because of how the vulnerability was published.

Just to echo the campaign that TSR is running at the moment, my personal recommendation to those using Internet Explorer is to switch your browser to a different browser - particularly Google Chrome.

ReputationRep:
    Using IE is like driving without a seatbelt.

ReputationRep:
    I literally don't know anyone who still uses IE. Even people who know jack about computers and browsers have downloaded alternatives.

It was pretty irresponsible for Metasploit to push the exploit out to the toolkit without giving Microsoft the heads-up and letting them try and fix it.

Metasploit is supposed to be an ethical pen-testing framework and a demonstration of various proofs of concept, not a black hat script kiddie playground. Essentially all of the exploits in it are already patched by the vendors, and this one should have been too.

Plenty of enterprise customers still use IE because it can easily be controlled via Active Directory group policy and it is officially supported, whereas stuff like Firefox and Chrome aren't. Also, a lot of people won't have the correct privileges to install whatever they like.

ReputationRep:
      iHeart Google Chrome.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Inversion)
      Using IE is like driving without a seatbelt.
      I do this all the time.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blueflare)
      I literally don't know anyone who still uses IE. Even people who know jack about computers and browsers have downloaded alternatives.
      :lurk:

I see... well I guess I should probably change to firefox then...

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blueflare)
      I do...my brother. Which is pretty ******* annoying because I bought the home computer and I keep telling him to not use IE and whenever I go back home I see him using it. Going to have to link him to this!

ReputationRep:
      If speed is all you are looking for the sure, go ahead and use Chrome.

But if you want some extra functionalities, extra customisation, extra security and an Open Source browser then Firefox is the way forward!

ReputationRep:
      I didnt think anyone still uses I.E :confused:

Google chrome all the way!!! :woo:
      My dad uses opera and my sis uses firefox, i hate them both!

I use both IE and Firefox. I use IE for general internet browsing/tsr and ff for saving important tabs, although last time I used Chrome, it didn't seem to work well with tsr. Is that still the case?

ReputationRep:
        I've found that Chrome is much better now than it was when it first came out - it seems less buggy.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ch0llima)
        It was pretty irresponsible for Metasploit to push the exploit out to the toolkit without giving Microsoft the heads-up and letting them try and fix it.

Metasploit is supposed to be an ethical pen-testing framework and a demonstration of various proofs of concept, not a black hat script kiddie playground. Essentially all of the exploits in it are already patched by the vendors, and this one should have been too.

Plenty of enterprise customers still use IE because it can easily be controlled via Active Directory group policy and it is officially supported, whereas stuff like Firefox and Chrome aren't. Also, a lot of people won't have the correct privileges to install whatever they like.
        Worth noting that it wasn't discovered by the Metasploit project - it was first disclosed by seclists.org (according to The Register). Metasploit are just responding to the fact that it's now a wild threat that needs to be defended against. After all, Metasploit is a pen-testing tool and no system administrator should be wearing rose-tinted glasses when assessing their network's security.

I agree, though. This isn't the way that it should be done - it's not very ethical to just publish a Zero-Day exploit like this, without giving it to the company that designed the exploitable system.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by sleekchic)
        I use both IE and Firefox. I use IE for general internet browsing/tsr and ff for saving important tabs, although last time I used Chrome, it didn't seem to work well with tsr. Is that still the case?
        On the contrary, TSR is now optimised for Chrome.

ReputationRep:
        I use Safari because it's the fastest on mac and certain things about google chrome annoy me.
        i don't know anyone who uses IE either, even my nan has google chrome :P

ReputationRep:
        F-F-F-F-Firefox

However, i am partial to Safari due to its the default...

ReputationRep:
        My mum uses IE on the computer... I have tried telling her to use Firefox but she's set in her ways when it comes to technology. I guess I'll just remove it and tell her she has no choice but to switch over to Firefox now, eh? :o: I've been using Firefox for years as it is, it's so much faster than IE, if nothing else.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        Meh, I only use Chrome. So much so that if a website doesn't work with Chrome I will no longer visit it.

I just wish you could uninstall IE from your system.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
        My mum uses IE on the computer... I have tried telling her to use Firefox but she's set in her ways when it comes to technology. I guess I'll just remove it and tell her she has no choice but to switch over to Firefox now, eh? :o: I've been using Firefox for years as it is, it's so much faster than IE, if nothing else.
        Switch to Chrome, it's much faster than Firefox

ReputationRep:
        I still use Firefox purely for the wealth of addons. Last time I checked, the Chrome version of Adblock wasn't as good as the Firefox version.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.