Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to various investment banks for spring internships in investment banking/private wealth management and I would really appreciate some advice on how to go about writing a successful cover letter.
    Basic structure I've heard is good is:
    why investment banking
    why that bank
    why that division
    why you

but I'm having trouble finding specific things to write about without sounding too generic and not standing out from the crowd.

If anyone could send me an example of a successful cover letter that would be awesome, please message me
    General advice and tips about the whole application process would also be greatly appreciated, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it too late to be asking that now?

Anyway JPM has a sample cover letter on their site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoopyx)
    I'm applying to various investment banks for spring internships in investment banking/private wealth management and I would really appreciate some advice on how to go about writing a successful cover letter.
    Basic structure I've heard is good is:
    why investment banking
    why that bank
    why that division
    why you

but I'm having trouble finding specific things to write about without sounding too generic and not standing out from the crowd.

If anyone could send me an example of a successful cover letter that would be awesome, please message me
    General advice and tips about the whole application process would also be greatly appreciated, thank you!
    Why X division (as in why IBD, or S&T, or PWM etc)
    Why X bank
    why you

If you're not really sure which division you're interested in yet, then write about why you want to pursue investment banking in general, and anything you know about any division that attracts you to it. Nobody can tell you how to write the first and last paragraphs. To write the why the why X bank paragraph suggest you start off looking at sources such as the financial times, the bank's wikipedia page, banks own website, reuters, bloomberg, the WSJ etc.

ReputationRep:
    Write about something that inspires you? When i started college our economics tutor told us to read the FT or the Economist and find a writer who's articles we liked, as it would come in handy for personal statements and things like this. Maybe you could have a bash at that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epc)
    Isn't it too late to be asking that now?

Anyway JPM has a sample cover letter on their site.
    i only found a sample cv there mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    i only found a sample cv there mate
    You're right, i applied ages ago and forgot.

This is what i did:

Why Industry & then specific devision
    Why that bank
    Why me

ReputationRep:
    A successful cover letter example would be really helpful I just have no idea what to write for the 1st paragraph! Im interested in private wealth management mainly because of the client interaction but I can't really think of what else

ReputationRep:
    How about developing investment strategies based on varying client risk appetites – i.e. the work is more bespoke and varied.
    Linked to the above, I imagine you have to have a firm grasp of a range of asset classes, their trends and risk-reward profiles. The breadth of content is probably interesting
    The advice carries a greater sense of ownership. After all, you may well be in charge of capital allocation over a range of assets (how much gold, cash, bonds, t-bills, equities etc). In some sense, you can take a portfolio view – managing liquidity needs, and varying concerns (e.g. inflation risk vs. managed global growth)
    The investment recommendations will probably have to be more well thought-out than, say, institutional sales. PWM clients don’t want chopping and changing of investment vehicles. So you have to think longer-term
    I would guess that the benefits of your work are more rewarding and personal, since you don’t represent a bunch of faceless institutional investors.
    You get a chance to build up your own personal brand in the form of your client portfolio.

There's certainly overlap in the above, and I'm not a PWM expert. But hopefully it'll give you some food for thought

Thanks,

P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.