Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scottish football in summer..thoughts? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Scotland move the SPA to a summer(and spring/autumn) season?
    Results hidden until poll closes.

ReputationRep:
    I had often thought this was a good idea and now they are seriously considering it. I believe Norway may do the same. They have plently of long nights for light games, and still floodlights for earlier in the season evening games. It's freezing and snowy much of winter there, and the summer isn't unbearably hot.
    Could give it a more continental feel too. Championsleague could be got around, it's not a huge league anyhow.

What do you reckon, yes or no?

ReputationRep:
    Could be good, since so many fixtures get cancelled during the winter... Extending it further into the summer and starting earlier with a winter break would probably be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    Could be good, since so many fixtures get cancelled during the winter... Extending it further into the summer and starting earlier with a winter break would probably be better.
    Yeah, perhaps, but there's so much light all summer and it's relatively moderate in terms of sun and heat. It would be ideal, pretty much like an (e.g) Spanish winter overall.

ReputationRep:
    It would be good because English people might actually watch some Scottish footy if that's all that's on during the summer. I know I would do from time to time, this would raise the profile of the league and help them get more money etc.

They'd have to work something out during WC and Euro years (every other year?) but I'm sure they could.

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally in agreement of this. Less hooliganism in lighter times, i'm assuming/hopinh (i've been to an old firm game, and lived to tell the tale :yep:)

ReputationRep:
    No.

Winter break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    It would be good because English people might actually watch some Scottish footy if that's all that's on during the summer. I know I would do from time to time, this would raise the profile of the league and help them get more money etc.

They'd have to work something out during WC and Euro years (every other year?) but I'm sure they could.
    most english fans will never watch the spl. they can barely name 5 teams in the bundesliga for the most part nevermind the spl. "err, sellick, ranjirs, hearts, hibs, aberdeen, dundee? or is it dundee united? i dunno"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)

The profile of Scottish football needs to be lowered, 90% of English people couldn't give a **** about the SPL yet the media cover it like there is widespread interest. Playing it in the summer would make little difference

ReputationRep:
    Whole thing needs to be ditched its garbage.

(Original post by Economist)
      The profile of Scottish football needs to be lowered, 90% of English people couldn't give a **** about the SPL yet the media cover it like there is widespread interest. Playing it in the summer would make little difference
      I agree. The SPL is crap. If you don't support Celtic or Rangers then what's the point you're never going to win. It's just a two team title. The only thing good about it is the old firm games.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jim-ie)
      most english fans will never watch the spl. they can barely name 5 teams in the bundesliga for the most part nevermind the spl. "err, sellick, ranjirs, hearts, hibs, aberdeen, dundee? or is it dundee united? i dunno"
      Maybe it's only because I go to uni in Scotland, but I would definitely watch more of the SPL if it was on in summer. Sure I'm not going it watch it over a prem game on a Sunday, but if there was no footy on for months except the SPL, of course I'd watch it. And I really believe the argument that the league is so much weaker because they have so much less money: this would help them get more money by TV rights, increasing the standard of their league...it's win/win for everybody, as long as there is the demand to watch it.

(Original post by Genocidal)
      I agree. The SPL is crap. If you don't support Celtic or Rangers then what's the point you're never going to win. It's just a two team title. The only thing good about it is the old firm games.
      Yeah, La Liga is really crap too for the same reason, right?

ReputationRep:
      The Irish (ROI) league changed to a summer schedule a few years ago. Obviously, lots of lower profile clubs that don't have the facilities that some SPL clubs have (Less able to deal with the weather), but the Irish clubs probably have facilities on the same level as some of the lower leagues in scotland (L1, L2).

The arguement was not just about the pro/semi-pro game going to the summer months, it was also about helping amateur local clubs to hold games by moving their fixtures to the summer as well.

One clear benefit is less cancelled/post-poned games across the board from grass-roots to the top of the Irish club game.

Obviously the last few weeks have been pretty tough for the Scottish game (and for the English game to a certain extent), but does anybody have any figures for the number of weather-related game cancellations in Scotland for the last few years?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Chillaxer)
      Yeah, perhaps, but there's so much light all summer and it's relatively moderate in terms of sun and heat. It would be ideal, pretty much like an (e.g) Spanish winter overall.
      lol

Do you have any idea how cold it gets in most of Spain in winter? Surely nothing comparable to the Scottish summer. Spain isn't only the Canary Islands and Andalusia.

(Original post by M_E_X)
        Maybe it's only because I go to uni in Scotland, but I would definitely watch more of the SPL if it was on in summer. Sure I'm not going it watch it over a prem game on a Sunday, but if there was no footy on for months except the SPL, of course I'd watch it. And I really believe the argument that the league is so much weaker because they have so much less money: this would help them get more money by TV rights, increasing the standard of their league...it's win/win for everybody, as long as there is the demand to watch it.

That is a La Liga flaw certainly. The thing that makes La Liga better though are the better players and more exciting football. The SPL doesn't have that. There is no attraction for the really good players to go to the SPL.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Victor-PP)
        lol

Do you have any idea how cold it gets in most of Spain in winter? Surely nothing comparable to the Scottish summer. Spain isn't only the Canary Islands and Andalusia.
        Well I was talking on average, including autumn and spring in Scotland, talking light as well as heat, and mainly referring to coast yeah and south.

It wasn't really an exacting type of argument. Just think it'd work great. Can't see any reason for not doing it tbh.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Jim-ie)
        No.

Winter break.
        Awesome sig

ReputationRep:
        I'd like to see them keeping the ****ing posts up in the parks during summer ffs. What a retarded thing to do, take them away when most people want to use them :iiam:

ReputationRep:
        Agreed. Its a terrible league. Two teams that dominate and are not actually that good anyways.

And the media cover pisses me off. They cover Scottish Third Div matches like there a big game. Even though the games themselves are attended by no more than 600 people. If that.

I would rather see more media cover of the Blue Sq North & South leagues as more people watch them!

ReputationRep:
        I'm more in favour of a winter break really, that way you're still in sync (as it were) with most other European League and you won't have the problems associated with weather affecting games too.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by M_E_X)

Naw, it would be annoying and difficult. Money in leagues isnt just down to TV money, attendances play an important part in it and Englandshire has 6 times to the population of Scotland and the football watching population of Ireland (the other big audience for the SPL) combined, so there are more fans going to games in league 1 than most SPL matches due to infrastructure. Also a lot of the SPL teams are based around the Glasgow area and most people support the Old Firm there.

The League of Ireland uses a summer league system and it works, but it doesn't have any irish international players playing in it. the scottish national team has about 14 international players that play in their own league, so it makes arranging a league system at the same time as international competitions harder.

The amount of English people tuning in to watch Kilmarnock vs St Johnstone isnt going to be worth the effort.

Also important european qualifying matches take place during the winter/autumn months which are important for celtic and rangers, in ten years both teams have reached a uefa cup final and celtic was qualifying for the last 16 of the cl a few years ago.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
      Updated: January 4, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.