Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not fit in for being English in America? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm offered an opportunity to go on an exchange programme to America which I was really excited about untill the other day.
    My mate had an American girl over who she met abroad, but the American girl kept saying how us English are in our shells, like to ***** but won't ever get into actual fistfights, are 'too' polite and not as outgoing and sex driven as much as Americans.
    I asked her if everyone's like that in college out there and she replied 'well there's a few shy ones but not many'.
    Now I am outgoing but I don't know if everyone will be too much in my face if they're how she described? She just really put me off going there..

Anyone know/experienced the students out there? Are they friendly and fun or really wild and obnoxious?

ReputationRep:
    One American girl can't account for every single English person's experience of the US. She's kind of playing into her own stereotype as an American by being ignorant and frankly, rude. :P So don't worry about it, it sounds like a great opportunity, and have fun.

ReputationRep:
    **** her if she's going to say that! Go to America and have a great time!

ReputationRep:
    How about you go and experience it yourself then see if she was right or not rather than listening to one person's account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom181)
    **** her if she's going to say that! Go to America and have a great time!
    I agree! Forget her and go have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SharkAttack)
    I'm offered an opportunity to go on an exchange programme to America which I was really excited about untill the other day.
    My mate had an American girl over who she met abroad, but the American girl kept saying how us English are in our shells, like to ***** but won't ever get into actual fistfights, are 'too' polite and not as outgoing and sex driven as much as Americans.
    I asked her if everyone's like that in college out there and she replied 'well there's a few shy ones but not many'.
    Now I am outgoing but I don't know if everyone will be too much in my face if they're how she described? She just really put me off going there..

Anyone know/experienced the students out there? Are they friendly and fun or really wild and obnoxious?
    lol where does she live? the bronks? and you must live in the sticks and are to young to drink...

they generally see us brits as living next to the queen in our castles, drinking tea with a monicle on...

typical american stero type if you ask me... not all of them are that retarded. (hint - they only understand the ****** insult so don't use anything complecated, and if you smoke they didnt sell rolling backy ect on pre-rolled crap.)

having been stateside of the pond your going to be a bigger shock to them than they would expect. after all us tea drinking, castle siting queens people took over most the world without ever getting into a fight dont you know!!!!

historically were one of the most war like nations. the french, portugese and others alike are also pritty well known for being war like, but you dont hear so much about that having broken them more than once...

gotta love the yanks with there make believe visions of the rest of the world. i expect it was her first holiday outside of american teritory?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I was just googling whether english students fit into america cos I'm looking to go to university over there and I'm really really excited about it I just wondered what their attitudes were like ha
    So please let me know once you've been? (: but honestly just enjoy your time and don't listen to your friend. HAVE FUN (:
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I must say though, they really dig our accents.

ReputationRep:
    Try being Asian in America and you'll realise being English there is not bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, go to America!

It's the only place in the world where I can keep a room of girls entertained with only my accent. I know an American girl who said if I had a puppy I would be completely irresistible.

Moreover, they think it's amazing when you can drink more than 5 pints without falling over.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Brit living in America at the moment, California to be exact.

Girls adore the accent, so i doubt you'll have much trouble fitting in

ReputationRep:
    Go :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctarling)
    if I had a puppy I would be completely irresistible.
    "Hello...my dog just had puppies...do you want to come and see them? Just get in the van and I'll give you a lift." :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    That's not true.
    She said that because she just don't want you to come and have a good experience of a lifetime.
    Yes there are lots of wild people here, but that's everywhere not just in US.
    If you want to go, you'll go even if 1000000x people told you not to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.