Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is vanilla extract the same as vanilla flavouring? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have almost never cooked any dessert myself in my life...so cut me some slack
    if this is a stupid question

I'm making normal vanilla cupcakes, and was wondering if those small vanilla flavouring
    bottles contain the same thing as the big "vanilla extract" ones.
    Are they the same? Will they produce similar results when I bake the cakes?

Thanks

PS.
    ALSO you know that thing u squeeze icing out of to make it go all zigzaggy? whats the called

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm sure it will be fine xx

ReputationRep:
    It's not the same stuff, hence why vanilla extract is expensive, and vanilla essence isnt. But the results are pretty much the same.

ReputationRep:
    vanilla extarct is the real thing, vanilla flavour isnt. They work int he same way but vanilla flavour can sometimes taste cheap hence it costing a lot less.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.