Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Resistance training supporting boxing, adivce needed Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a boxer, and train 3 times a week at our club, but i need to start doing more training in my own time, because I want to go down a weight category (from 64kg to under 60kg at least), and of course one's fitness can never be good enough

At the moment because of not having access to a gym or boxing club for 2 weeks or so, I'm doing endurance/interval running on alternative mornings, and core and bodyweight exercises after the runs. I'm of course planning on continuing the running at least even after boxing training starts again.

I've also started doing dumbell training; shoulder press, front and back squats and bent over dumbell rows and also explosive punches with the long bar (one end propped on the floor, one end in my hand).
    For example for the squats I've started with 25kg, since I can do 2x20 (front then back, no rest between the two sets) of those relatively easily and at a fast pace. My question is (especially to any boxers out there that have experience in the matter), what weight/reps ratio would be most benefitial to me, or even what exercises might be the best?

And also, because I don't have a bench to do chest presses an such on, is there another way for me to train my chest and biceps without having to resort to shadowboxing with weights (since it's not really good for the joints, as all the weight is focused in the hand and gravity is pulling that point down more than other parts of the arm)?

xthanks

p.s. are there actually any female boxers here that train and spar seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Pressups, chin-ups, pull-ups, squat and skip like a *******.

Shadowboxing with weights isn't really a good idea under any circumstances, unless you're using dumbells the same weight as your gloves.

Sorry, I'm not a bird, but I'd imagine the same is fairly true for boxers with or without balls.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. I don't have a bar for chin-ups or pull-ups, though might invest in one. I'm already doing wide, triceps and spiderman push-ups, but I guess I could do clap push-ups, I can only do those properly with my knees on the ground atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    Thanks for the advice. I don't have a bar for chin-ups or pull-ups, though might invest in one. I'm already doing wide, triceps and spiderman push-ups, but I guess I could do clap push-ups, I can only do those properly with my knees on the ground atm.
    at my boxing gym we do circuits of the following

Press ups

Sit ups

Star Jumps

Tricep dips

Sit ups with a twist

Squat thrusts

Decline press ups

Tuck ins

Burpees

10 of each in 2 minute rounds with a minute rest in between, try that out

Get a medicine ball, do some work with that

and get your knees of the ground lol

ReputationRep:
    Invest in a heavy bag?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Invest in a heavy bag?
    won't make you much stronger, just good for increasing powers of punch and not much else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Is there a reason why shadowboxing with weights is not advised?
    I'd imagine it could seriously **** up your shoulder if you're not careful.

ReputationRep:
    Clap press-ups are good for building explosive strength, most useful!

As to why not using weights in shadow boxing - can seriously shag your joints, and also doesn't help your technique, since you should practice as you fight. Adding weight will just confuse your body. Or something like that - my memory faculties have been rather reduced by copious whiskey consumption tonight, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Invest in a heavy bag?
    Yeah, if you want her to mess up her hands/wrists. Work up slowly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    at my boxing gym we do circuits of the following

Press ups
    Sit ups
    Star Jumps
    Tricep dips
    Sit ups with a twist
    Squat thrusts
    Decline press ups
    Tuck ins
    Burpees

10 of each in 2 minute rounds with a minute rest in between, try that out
    Get a medicine ball, do some work with that
    and get your knees of the ground lol
    I could try to do something like this, if I can clear enough space in our garage. But I was looking for more advice about weight training with barbells and such instead of bodyweight exercises, which I already do.
    And I can do normal pushups and variations like bombers and spidermans properly, but I see no point in starting with clap push-ups with my knees in the air if my technique is gonna be aweful.

(Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    Yeah, if you want her to mess up her hands/wrists. Work up slowly!
    I'm not a beginner, I've got no problems working with the heavy bag, though not the money or the place for my own.

Thanks for all the replies, although most of it is stuff I already know... but would appreciate advice from boxers or fighters who do supplementary weight training (other than bodyweight).

anyways, guess I should start clapping...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    I could try to do something like this, if I can clear enough space in our garage. But I was looking for more advice about weight training with barbells and such instead of bodyweight exercises, which I already do.
    And I can do normal pushups and variations like bombers and spidermans properly, but I see no point in starting with clap push-ups with my knees in the air if my technique is gonna be aweful.

I'm not a beginner, I've got no problems working with the heavy bag, though not the money or the place for my own.

Thanks for all the replies, although most of it is stuff I already know... but would appreciate advice from boxers or fighters who do supplementary weight training (other than bodyweight).

k well you asked for resistance training, if you wanna use a barbell just do a basic full body with compounds

So do squats, upright rows, bent over rows, bench, military press, deadlift, clean n press, pullovers etc, do them with a weight you can do 10 reps with, you don't wanna be too bulky as a boxer you need speed too so just purely building mass and sacrificing everything else is bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Is there a reason why shadowboxing with weights is not advised?
    1) Using a heavy weight completely changes the biomechanics of the movement making it practically worthless for developing punching power or strength

2) It is very easy to injure your shoulders either by hyperextending the joints or by the high amounts of leverage acting on them

What would be a good way of increasing the power of a punch?
    1) Get stronger - heavy bench pressing, dips, overhead pressing, weighted pushups, floor pressing, etc

2) Get more powerful - plyometric pushups, resistance band punching, technique work, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Thanks.

Two more questions; wouldn't resistance band punching also change the biomechanics of the movement in a similar way to a light weight?
    It can but less so than using weights. Weights are heavily influenced by gravity, bands less so and they can be anchored in different positions to better replicate punching mechanics.

Secondly, I've always seen power being developed without additional weight (almost always via plyometrics in my experience). E.g. we used to do some jumping of a box stuff for football. Anyway, is there a reason why plyometrics / power development isn't combined with a light weight? The only time I've seen this happen was some guy who could squat a load doing squat jumps with a bar, but that's the only thing I've come across.
    There is nothing to say that you can't add weight but we're talking relatively small amounts (eg; 10-20% of your max) and it has to be added very gradually. Plyometrics are about activating your muscles as quickly and forcefully as possible, if you use large amounts of weight you slow this process down favouring more strength development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)

Mea culpa. No, really.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice, I'll build a proper training schedule for when I get back to the gym in a week or so. For now I'll continue with the running and and compounds like deadlift, squats and push press, and of course the clap push-ups (getting slightly better :-D).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.