Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've received conditional offers from all of the uni's I've applied to - UWE, Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Newport & Southampton Solent.

The one I'd most like to go to is UWE, but they want a C in GCSE Maths which I doubt I can get, what is the likely hood of them accepting me without getting the GCSE?

The answer to that question is going to effect my choices massively

Help?

ReputationRep:
    Probably not very high at all, but best people to ask them.

Why not put it as firm, then have a safer insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon_)
    I've received conditional offers from all of the uni's I've applied to - UWE, Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Newport & Southampton Solent.

The one I'd most like to go to is UWE, but they want a C in GCSE Maths which I doubt I can get, what is the likely hood of them accepting me without getting the GCSE?

The answer to that question is going to effect my choices massively

Help?
    You've had a conditional offer which includes GCSE maths..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morematterlessartx)
    You've had a conditional offer which includes GCSE maths..?
    280 UCAS points and GCSE C in Maths, yeah.

(Original post by TheSownRose)
    Probably not very high at all, but best people to ask them.

Why not put it as firm, then have a safer insurance?
    Second choice is either Ports or Bournemouth, and they both want 280 and don't mind about the fact I fail at Maths

So if I put UWE as firm I'm leaving myself no room for slip ups, in all fairness I should be getting 280 OK, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon_)
    280 UCAS points and GCSE C in Maths, yeah.
    Ah ok, sorry I didn't know they did that. I would think if you meet the 280 points them they would at least consider accepting you If I were you I would email their admissions.

ReputationRep:
    How can your conditional include GCSE maths, unless you're retaking it?? A 'C' in GCSE maths is very easy to obtain, so unlikely they will accept you without it, depending on your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shmeiks)
    How can your conditional include GCSE maths, unless you're retaking it?? A 'C' in GCSE maths is very easy to obtain, so unlikely they will accept you without it, depending on your course.
    I think they expect me to re-do through college, which isn't possible as it's too late.

I did AON level 2 last year at college which is apparently equivalent to a C in Maths, but UWE don't accept it.

If it's unlikely I'll get in without it I may decline my offer!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah probably not very high.

Why don't you invest in some private tutoring?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    Yeah probably not very high.

Why don't you invest in some private tutoring?
    My parents did say that if I wanted to do that they would pay, but I'm not confident that I could pass even then. I got a D when I first took the GCSE, but haven't looked at anything Maths related in at least a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon_)
    My parents did say that if I wanted to do that they would pay, but I'm not confident that I could pass even then. I got a D when I first took the GCSE, but haven't looked at anything Maths related in at least a year.
    It's still worth a shot! I failed Higher Maths last year but I'm retaking and it's a lot easier now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon_)
    I think you should give the tutoring a shot - with some practise and a tutor you could get a C if you work hard?

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell, work hard for the C- I was predicted an E and in bottom set maths. A lot of hard work over 3 months, I smashed the final exam and got a B. It's not hard- and if UWE is your first choice, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with those who suggest private tutoring as it can do wonders do have one on one teaching with someone sympathetic and who can help you pass. Definitely worth a shot x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.