Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need some help with each of these uni cities, Cheers Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I live in Newcastle at the moment and thats meant to be the "best" student city, and to be honest if I didnt already live here i'd move here in a hearbeat, but unfortunatly I need a bit of independence and getting away so ive applied for business managment courses at Leicester, Liverpool, Heriot-watt(Ricarton, on Edinburghs greenbelt) and Aberdeen(also Robert Gordon) and I currently have offers from Leiceste(ABB) and Robert Gordon(BCC) so as it stands I have a good first and back up options but since ive never visited any of these cities(besides edinburgh) Im finding it hard to decide between them. Edinburgh seems the obvious choice as I love the city, but the actual uni campus is 8 miles from the city centre. Hmmm

ReputationRep:
    I can't comment on any of the others, but Heriot-Watt isn't 8 miles from the city centre It's 4 or 5 at the most. Plus there are regular buses which cost £1.20 and take roughly 20-30 minutes to get there. Also night buses every night for £3 which can work out cheaper than a taxi. I mean I live the same distance from the city centre (but South rather than West) and I travel into uni every day and work during the weekends, and nights out are never a problem for me.

The campus at Heriot-Watt is pretty nice and from what I seen there's pretty much everything you need for basic stuff. Obviously if you wanted a night out or a trip to the cinema, restaurant, etc. then you'd need to travel in but buses are usually really reliable and stuff.

I mean of course there's other things you need to take into account but don't let the distance from the city centre put you off unless you really detest bus journeys/public transport or whatever

ReputationRep:
    The new campus at Heriot-Watt is further out [ie, on a different site] so is away from the city.

OP, I'd say Liverpool was the best. You're in the middle of a pretty vibrant city with lots going on, good transport network, Manchester's only 30mins away, other universities [so, more students and things for students in the city] and just a better sense of fun. At least, that's the impression I got from the place whenever I went to see my brother while he was there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.