Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey

my mate has a degree 2:1 or 2:2 in Photomedia from Yeovil College. obviously she couldnt get a job in this field, so temped for a while in office/admin and shops. she is thinking to do REPS level 3 VTCT diploma in becomeing a personal trainer/fitness instructor. how long does this take? how much pay? is it a waste of a degree? she is 27 btw, so needs a stable job.

i told her it was a waste
    what do you thin k?

ReputationRep:
    To become a physiotherapist, she'll need another degree. The fees will be higher thanks to ELQ, and she won't get a student loan for it - so she'll have to have enough money saved up to pay her tuition and living costs by herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terpsikhore)
    To become a physiotherapist, she'll need another degree. The fees will be higher thanks to ELQ, and she won't get a student loan for it - so she'll have to have enough money saved up to pay her tuition and living costs by herself.
    yes but is it a waste? shouldnt she get a proper job at her age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    yes but is it a waste? shouldnt she get a proper job at her age
    What's your definition of a 'proper job'? I mean as far as I'm concerned, no one working in marketing has a 'proper job' - but that's my view, and it's not for me to decide what THEY want to do with the rest of their life.

For what it's worth, I know someone who had a 2:1 in theatre studies. He started training to be a teacher, jacked it in and became a personal trainer. He now owns a string of his own gyms and is by all accounts doing pretty darn well for himself.

What would be a waste is if she was forced into a job just because it was 'suitable' for someone with a degree, and spent the rest of her life doing something she hated. Far better to have spent 3 years doing something that in hindsight was maybe a mistake, but spend the next 50 years of your life doing something you love. If personal training is what interests her, if she enjoys doing it, then it's not a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terpsikhore)
    What's your definition of a 'proper job'? I mean as far as I'm concerned, no one working in marketing has a 'proper job' - but that's my view, and it's not for me to decide what THEY want to do with the rest of their life.

For what it's worth, I know someone who had a 2:1 in theatre studies. He started training to be a teacher, jacked it in and became a personal trainer. He now owns a string of his own gyms and is by all accounts doing pretty darn well for himself.

What would be a waste is if she was forced into a job just because it was 'suitable' for someone with a degree, and spent the rest of her life doing something she hated. Far better to have spent 3 years doing something that in hindsight was maybe a mistake, but spend the next 50 years of your life doing something you love. If personal training is what interests her, if she enjoys doing it, then it's not a waste.

yes but
    1. was he 27 when he started? i think not

2. was he a woman, at an age just about to start a family and have babies? i think not.

realistically, in the next 5 years or so she is gonna want to pause her career to have babies. and unless she does awesomeley well, the career will still be in the baby stages.

soes ANYONE agree with me that personal training is a rubbish career unless

a) your passion in life is sports/fitness
    OR
    b) you are 16-18 and have left school with low or no alevels - in which case getting your PT qualification is a step UP in life and will get you a better profession than without.

but in all other cases, did you really spend £15k and 3 years at uni to do the same job a 16/18 year old with no a levels could do just as well if not better?

my friend is neither of the above btw.

plus, what happens if you are an ok-ish PT, not great but allright, then you hit 30-35 (for women) or 50 (men) and get old?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.