Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Greetings all,

I am considering taking both 60-point level 2 mathematics modules (Pure Mathematics and Mathematical Methods and Models) in the same year. By this time I will have completed Exploring Mathematics and hopefully done well.

Is this a feasible combination, or would the two modules clash horribly? Would the exams be on the same day? Would the different material and assignments reinforce each other or cause some kind of confusing switching process between the two?

If anyone here has experience of studying mathematics, or anything else, with the OU at this level, I would appreciate your advice!

ReputationRep:
    I would seriously recommend against it.

I have just finished a degree in Economics and Mathematical Science via the Open University and I have taken the Mathematical Methods course.

It is without doubt the most time consuming course I did with the Open University and it covers a whole load of mathematics and mechanics. I had a slight advantage as I have previously studied Engineering and hence a lot of the physics stuff was not new to me. However it still took a long time.

I would recommend taking this course on it's own, or with the 10 point residential school. Personally I did it at the same time as a 30 point course that I knew to be less time consuming.

Of course it does depend how much time you have to study and your existing knowledge of calculus and mechanics.

Have you studied any other maths courses with the Open University? What qualification are you aiming for.

ReputationRep:
    I have actually studied M208 and MST209 together, and due to a deferral, MS221 in the same year.

It can be managed, personally I didn't do too badly on any of the exams. I probably could have done better if I had done them separately, but I cannot be sure of that. A few people do study the two together, and so I wouldn't expect the exams to be on the same day. The material does not particularly have much affect on either course - there are only a few places in which the material crosses.

However, I agree with Douglas, the workload on MST209 is quite high. The exam last year was also particularly awful - but the past papers were not so there is no reason to expect that to happen again soon.

The other factor to bear in mind is that I am very used to working alone to deadlines. So if you are prone to slip behind, you may want to be more wary. I never missed a deadline on any TMA, but it's easy to see how it could be done.

ReputationRep:
    I'm aiming for the (new) Engineering degree. The level three modules I want to do (fluid mechanics and so on) require the mathematical methods module but not the pure maths module - I was thinking of doing this as an extra so I can claim the Diploma in Mathematics as an interim qualification (otherwise the only qualification I would have before the degree would be the Certificate in Mathematics).

This year I'm taking MST121 and MS221 as well as the level one engineering course T173, and I'm not finding the workload to be too much of a burden.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.